Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 12:28 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

i believe there is a misunderstanding here.

maxW needs a relay so that
- once the car goes from in R (hence backup light 12v gets power) - the reverse camera (tapping into backupLight 12v) - gets power from this asap
- a relay is added that pin 6 reverse trigger (also feeding from the backup light 12v power) only gets the backUp light signal about 1/2 a second AFTER the reverse cam gets power

this way when the pccm+ is in reverse mode, the camera will be 100% on - and there will be no issues with a split second no signal screen. For the record in the past on other android car radios - i have had the same split second issue when powering the cameras from the backupLight 12v. in more recent installs, I just wire it the 'oem' way. ie. pccm+ 955, the way it is designed to satisfy porsche spec.

as for realizing that pin8 still gets power for 10 seconds despite the car is no longer in reverse (and hence reverseTrigger pin 6 is no longer receiving the 12v+) .... this is standard practise as android PCMs normally flip into front camera input mode for up to 10 seconds (can be customized) after a car is disEngaged from Reverse. This is super useful for 3-point turns etc etc. Since both front + reverse camera get their power/GND from the same powerPin(s) .... the front video cam input duration is customizable in the android software settings, but the camera power remaining outputted for 10 seconds even after no more reverse trigger signal is a hardware default.

Originally Posted by Hecklerstan
Hi maxw:
This is exactly my point. I am guessing that you are using reverse light as power source for the pin 6 trigger and camera power. If you shift out from reverse, the trigger and camera power will be dropped. If I add an time delay relay (2 seconds or loner) between the reverse light power and camera power, this relay will continue to feed the power to camera and help to avoid the "no camera" screen. Should be able to find an existing relay module to support this.

Last edited by myw; 02-21-2023 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:01 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Saw this too regarding fishing without removing bumper - a couple videos that are a helpful reference:
https://youtu.be/k3VQooXUdBY

https://youtu.be/1fJ9zMQY_C8
lol - i forgot to send this to maxW - but here is an old post I wrote years back re getting over the biggest hump of the reverse camera install (not the wiring) https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post17572285

Originally Posted by dlascoskie
Any chance you have a link to the website to purchase this camera?
I'm trying to put a full kit together. but am testing something first
- camera + cables
- harness + instructions

i want to have it powered *oem* via the pccm+ to minimize cuts + splices. im currently still in asia so i will deal with it when i am back home.

As per reference - I went with the absolute lowest profile possible (as oem as I could find), low profile even compared to other *low-profile* cams.

Last edited by myw; 02-21-2023 at 01:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
dlascoskie (02-21-2023), maxw (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 04:16 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

I think its pretty the same, just different angle and closer ?
Old 02-21-2023, 07:33 AM
Steve_D
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a quick note of thanks to those who have posted installation hints to this thread. Finally put mine in last night and feel like I bought a new car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve_D:
brudomen (02-21-2023), maxw (02-21-2023), myw (02-21-2023), svandamme (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:58 AM
DocNik
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Too rich for me

I was just quoted $ 2700, including two hours of labor.
I think I'll pass on the PCCM+...
($ 2060, including tax, for the unit alone).

Last edited by DocNik; 02-21-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:07 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DocNik
I was just quoted $ 2700, including two hours of labor.
I think I'll pass on the PCCM+...
($ 2060, including tax, for the unit alone).

just order it elsewhere and install it yourself, its not hard.
The following 2 users liked this post by svandamme:
MaxPoodling (02-21-2023), skl2 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:12 PM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by myw

I'm trying to put a full kit together. but am testing something first
- camera + cables
- harness + instructions

i want to have it powered *oem* via the pccm+ to minimize cuts + splices. im currently still in asia so i will deal with it when i am back home.

As per reference - I went with the absolute lowest profile possible (as oem as I could find), low profile even compared to other *low-profile* cams.
I will patiently wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by dlascoskie:
brudomen (02-21-2023), myw (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 02:21 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
just order it elsewhere and install it yourself, it’s not hard.
This. I psyched myself up for this project. Did a lot of reading. Watched a lot of videos and even with the couple issues I had I still knocked it out in two hours. I’m confident I could do it again much faster. I even took the time to route the microphone to the factory location.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alfnado:
dlascoskie (02-21-2023), myw (02-21-2023), Summerjack (03-04-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 02:30 PM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Everyone says my mic sounds like dog poop.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:33 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Everyone says my mic sounds like dog poop.
The external or the internal? My partner said I sounded fine on the external that I routed to the factory location. I even have a lot of in cabin noise in light of my upgraded engine mounts and the Fister mufflers.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:50 PM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

external. i tried it first without hooking up the mic but the internal wasn't picking up my voice. So i hooked up the external, which picks up my voice but doesn't sound very good to others. I mounted it on the right side of the steering wheel column. Perhaps moving it to the top of the column may help. Might give it a try.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:30 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan1
Here are pics. As you can see I'm using an AA wireless dongle that is stored in the cubby under the HVAC. But the cable could easily come out anywhere.

Could you please take a better pic on how this cable goes between the radio and hvac unit? I might do this as well since there doesn't seem to be a better option at this time.

John
Old 02-21-2023, 04:34 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

external. i tried it first without hooking up the mic but the internal wasn't picking up my voice. So i hooked up the external, which picks up my voice but doesn't sound very good to others. I mounted it on the right side of the steering wheel column. Perhaps moving it to the top of the column may help. Might give it a try.
I think the top was where most installers were recommending. My opinion was top versus factory location (which is still on top but inside the column cover) was not going to meaningfully affect the performance.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:34 PM
MaxPoodling
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

@dlascoskie You need to enable the internal mic in the settings - it's disabled by default. Mine works great per my wife, so I didn't bother running the external.

Disconnect any CarPlay/AndroidAuto you have connected and go into the phone app, settings, the toggle is in there.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaxPoodling:
dlascoskie (02-22-2023), myw (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 04:36 PM
Msflynn03
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Back-Up Camera Issue

I wonder if people are approaching the back-up camera issue correctly. Do we really need switches, relays, etc to accomplish this?

A few years ago, I replaced the radio in my '08 997TT (manual with Bose system) with a Pioneer unit. I purchased it from Crutchfield and they also supplied the wiring connectors for the installation. Although I do not have a back-up camera in the car, I noticed that the radio display shifts to a "back-up camera view" whenever I put the car into reverse. It is apparent that the radio which like the new Porsche PCCM+ is an Android unit is sensing through the existing circuitry that the car is in reverse and is attempting to turn on the non-existing back-up camera. It is further apparent that the simple wiring in the dashboard is communicating to the radio that the car is in reverse. Therefore, I don't believe that the there is any need to cur into reverse light circuits, install additional switches, etc. The circuitry is there and just needs to be figured out and used.

I plan on pulling my Pioneer radio within the next few days and locating the "camera pin(s)". I will then determine what is hooked up to that and inform the board.
The following users liked this post:
medicus (02-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request