Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 12:34 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shammydog
I believe the GPS antenna is only needed for the PCCM+ nav. For those who use Waze, Google Maps, etc you don't need the GPS antenna. I chose not to install the antenna because I live in CarPlay and don't see a need to purchase the overpriced nav kit from Porsche. FYI if your usage patterns are similar to mine.

You will need the gps antenna for synch of time if you don’t want to manually have to adjust the time. Also the nav kit is 99 bucks. Way more reasonable than the older disks they used to charge us and we can actually install it!
Old 02-20-2023, 12:43 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
You will need the gps antenna for synch of time if you don’t want to manually have to adjust the time. Also the nav kit is 99 bucks. Way more reasonable than the older disks they used to charge us and we can actually install it!
Hey Fritz, since you're in Texas too, have you gotten the GPS time to be right? When I set mine for time to be set by GPS, with the timezone adjustment of GMT minus 6 hours, it doesn't set the time correctly (it displays GMT, i.e., 6 hours later than Central Time). I changed it to manual time syncing because of that.

The only reason why I paid for the Sat Nav card was for the GPS time sync. I was tired of the PCM in my non-Nav 997 being the worst car clock I've ever had (kept losing time). That's saying something too, because the clock in my 67 Corvette keeps consistent/accurate time.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:13 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

So does anyone know if you can drill out the Allen key locks on the factory PCCM?

I stripped one.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:41 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Okay ignore the Allen key issue. I got it. But why aren’t these two connecting?
Old 02-20-2023, 02:26 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Okay ignore the Allen key issue. I got it. But why aren’t these two connecting?
Okay never mind just had to push the tabs in while inserting. Lol. This was the hardest part of my morning.

Last edited by Alfnado; 02-20-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:26 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

bent pins?
Old 02-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svandamme
bent pins?
That’s what I thought at first too but the retaining clips were just super stiff (duh) and it took me a while to figure that out. Once I put some force into pinching the clips it popped right in.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:10 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by shammydog
I believe the GPS antenna is only needed for the PCCM+ nav. For those who use Waze, Google Maps, etc you don't need the GPS antenna. I chose not to install the antenna because I live in CarPlay and don't see a need to purchase the overpriced nav kit from Porsche. FYI if your usage patterns are similar to mine.
Agree and did the same. I don't really see the sense is dealing with this old school way of maps - always being out of date and having to periodically buy and load updates. They don't have as much real-time info and seems like to me they're generally lower quality map views.

To address the cell coverage concern, I know on at least Google Maps you can download/cache maps for offline - and GPS will keep working on your phone regardless of coverage.

Really the only thing that appeals to me with the Nav map option is having the navigation pointers on the tachometer - this is cool but for the trade-off I'd rather use Google Maps/Waze. I even occasionally use Apple Maps - nice feature if you're an Apple Watch user - it'll vibrate on your wrist when coming up on a turn as a nudge that a turn is coming up.

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
Not from what I've seen - you can sync time/date with RBDS (at least in US) and it's the default time sync option. Is working for me without the GPS puck installed.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:42 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Hecklerstan
considering to add a time relay module to the power source of the camera? The pin 6 trigger can be disconnected and the delay will feed the power to the camera for addition seconds.
Sorry am not really following - the pin 6 trigger has to be there. To clarify a point with this camera delay as I understand it - when you shift into reverse with a camera connected (powered off pin 8 or whatever other means you power the camera), the PCCM+ gives a slight delay before the camera is showing an image to give the camera time to power on. This delay avoids a possible error warning in the software saying the camera isn't connected.

Then - when you shift out of reverse, based on listening I'm pretty sure the PCCM+ waits 10 seconds before powering off the camera (can hear the internal relay click). So when pin 6 trigger power is dropped - the power holds on pin 8 for 10 seconds. This avoids getting the "no camera" icon I was talking about. Since my pin 8 is not working right and I can't use pin 8 (it's just something wrong on my particular unit I'm pretty sure), this is why I'm saying if I use a time delay relay it'll fix that small problem.

Again camera works fine for me, I just get a "no camera" icon only when shifting out of reverse for like a 1/2 second. Not a big deal, but think I can fix it with a time delay relay that I believe will mirror the default behavior of the PCCM+ which delays turning off the power on pin 8 again when shifting out of reverse. I'm not 100% this is how the PCCM+ functions, but based on observations, testing, and comments from myw it seems to be the case.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:45 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
I already did confirm .

I tested it, and it worked for me.

I did not use it, as I prefered splicing in the reverse lights in the back
easier access on cayman than having to get in the footwell to find a wire behind the kickplate.
And personally rather get cam power off reversing lights than off the PCCM anyway its all in the same location on my Cayman, the hole where the camera enters the trunk, the fuse box and wiring loom for the rear lights ..
Splice once, get 12V and Trigger signal..
No brainer on 987

So used this diagram instead :

Is this the camera?
Amazon Camera Amazon Camera
I've been looking for the link and somehow didn't come across it.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:13 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

similar but mine has the wire come out in the center, not to the rear there are several chinese brands but that's the type, and most likely all the same anyway.. at best some change in packaging or small details

Mine has the 3 wires i can cut to set options
PAL/NTSC
upright/upside down
marking lines/no marking lines. (I didn't want uggo red orange yellow green lines on my display)

Ordered a toggle switch, will see about installing 1 or 2 of those inside the ashtray.. hidden under that cover
Bit like 007's ejection seat button

1 to turn on the rear camera whilst driving just for the fun of it
1 to turn off the yaw sensor ground.. and have a more lively back end on my Cayman when I feel like it.

I already have my own homelink button.. the garage door opener is hotwired to a Boxster Roof button.. installed in the center console (Cayman has a blank right of the hand brake where the Box has the roof switch)
very clean install. never have to look for my remote..

Last edited by svandamme; 02-20-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:01 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Hey Fritz, since you're in Texas too, have you gotten the GPS time to be right? When I set mine for time to be set by GPS, with the timezone adjustment of GMT minus 6 hours, it doesn't set the time correctly (it displays GMT, i.e., 6 hours later than Central Time). I changed it to manual time syncing because of that.

The only reason why I paid for the Sat Nav card was for the GPS time sync. I was tired of the PCM in my non-Nav 997 being the worst car clock I've ever had (kept losing time). That's saying something too, because the clock in my 67 Corvette keeps consistent/accurate time.
yes, mine is working correctly
Old 02-20-2023, 09:37 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Random question: I thought I remember seeing in one of the settings that you could choose a particular menu option (Nav, Media, etc.) as the default option every time the PCCM+ boots up. For example, I'd like the Maps function to display when I start my car, instead of the Media function with info from the music playing via bluetooth from my phone. I just read back through the manual and couldn't find anything. Am I imagining this, or has someone here figured out a way to set this?
Old 02-20-2023, 10:08 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Random question: I thought I remember seeing in one of the settings that you could choose a particular menu option (Nav, Media, etc.) as the default option every time the PCCM+ boots up. For example, I'd like the Maps function to display when I start my car, instead of the Media function with info from the music playing via bluetooth from my phone. I just read back through the manual and couldn't find anything. Am I imagining this, or has someone here figured out a way to set this?
There’s a setting for what the “screen” button does. I still don’t know what the “screen” button is.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:10 PM
Hecklerstan
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Sorry am not really following - the pin 6 trigger has to be there. To clarify a point with this camera delay as I understand it - when you shift into reverse with a camera connected (powered off pin 8 or whatever other means you power the camera), the PCCM+ gives a slight delay before the camera is showing an image to give the camera time to power on. This delay avoids a possible error warning in the software saying the camera isn't connected.

Then - when you shift out of reverse, based on listening I'm pretty sure the PCCM+ waits 10 seconds before powering off the camera (can hear the internal relay click). So when pin 6 trigger power is dropped - the power holds on pin 8 for 10 seconds. This avoids getting the "no camera" icon I was talking about. Since my pin 8 is not working right and I can't use pin 8 (it's just something wrong on my particular unit I'm pretty sure), this is why I'm saying if I use a time delay relay it'll fix that small problem.

Again camera works fine for me, I just get a "no camera" icon only when shifting out of reverse for like a 1/2 second. Not a big deal, but think I can fix it with a time delay relay that I believe will mirror the default behavior of the PCCM+ which delays turning off the power on pin 8 again when shifting out of reverse. I'm not 100% this is how the PCCM+ functions, but based on observations, testing, and comments from myw it seems to be the case.
Hi maxw:
This is exactly my point. I am guessing that you are using reverse light as power source for the pin 6 trigger and camera power. If you shift out from reverse, the trigger and camera power will be dropped. If I add an time delay relay (2 seconds or loner) between the reverse light power and camera power, this relay will continue to feed the power to camera and help to avoid the "no camera" screen. Should be able to find an existing relay module to support this.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request