Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 04:42 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by brudomen
Do you need to remove the bumper to get the wires into the car with the plate light option?
Can’t see how to get wires into car without removing the rear bumper
thanks
Bennett
Originally Posted by myw
No you don’t - but do need experience fishing cables - a coat hanger will work

ive done both front + rear cams without needing to remove anything
Saw this too regarding fishing without removing bumper - a couple videos that are a helpful reference:

Last edited by maxw; 02-16-2023 at 01:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by maxw:
brudomen (02-15-2023), medicus (02-16-2023), myw (02-15-2023), Nova997 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 07:59 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Can confirm
Trigger on 6
Cam 12+ on 8
Camera switches on when 6 is triggered

Bumper removal time over the weekend to get the cam installed for real.
had a look, no other way to do it, bumper has to come off because you cannot access the back of it, heat insulation is in the way, at least it is on 987, but suspect 997 will be not that much different.
sweeeet! Exactly as predicted - perfect for those wishing to do a clean - oem style install.

you should check for 987 reverse cam install videos - to confirm if you have to remove the bumper or not.

Last edited by myw; 02-15-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:53 PM
RACCARAutomotive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! We still have a few 997 PCCM's in stock and ready to ship!

Come check us out at http://www.raccarparts.com. We are a Porsche Classic certified online retailer.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2023, 09:39 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Can confirm
Trigger on 6
Cam 12+ on 8

had a look, no other way to do it, bumper has to come off because you cannot access the back of it, heat insulation is in the way, at least it is on 987, but suspect 997 will be not that much different.

can you do a quick write up of what needs to be done. I am not sure what to add, etc with all the back and forth. A pic of the camera plug would be helpful also. Thanks for all the work on this. I checked back with Porsche Grapevine and no update yet on other issues. They think firmware update coming is there bet.
The following users liked this post:
brudomen (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:51 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Fritz and I just had lunch and tried his Nav card in my unit and yes, every state after New York is not on the card. Bad copies out there. As for my mounting the GPS antenna on top of the unit on the shelf, I was getting 7 of 10 satellites and high reception. So my experiment worked.

For those that do not have one of these yet the radio sound quality IMHO is worse than the original. Still too much base but the mid and highs with this new unit are muddied together and really expose the Bose system. The muddy mess also turns tinty with certain songs/stations and is very unappealing. With only two equalizer adjustments, surround and loudness I have not found a solution yet. I was hoping this unit would be HD radio but it is not. Will spend time with streaming music blue tooth this weekend. Disappointing for now.

Thanks for lunch Fritz!!

just reading this. Sounds like some folks in north Texas have suggested there are SD nav cards out there with no Texas maps. Is that correct? I’m installing a PCCM in a cayenne and haven’t been able to get maps to work. In that case, what did you do?

i bought my pccm and card from suncoast. But the pccm in an ‘08 957 is buggy (currently throws a check engine light). I know this isn’t a 957 page but there’s some relevant information in here we haven’t figured out yet. The pccm for the 955/7 is only about a month or two old. Suncoast suggested I get it installed by a Porsche dealer but Porsche Grapevine quoted me $1200 (almost as much as the pccm itself). We’re in Southlake. For folks local to the area - did you install yourselves or did you have dealer do it for you and if so, which one? At a minimum, when Porsche provides a fix for the check engine light problem, I’m going to have to take it to a dealer to get it applied. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:51 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto.
Hope you can provide clear instructions for us who aren’t as competent as you.
Thanks

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
can you do a quick write up of what needs to be done. I am not sure what to add, etc with all the back and forth. A pic of the camera plug would be helpful also. Thanks for all the work on this. I checked back with Porsche Grapevine and no update yet on other issues. They think firmware update coming is there bet.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:21 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by dlascoskie
Any chance you have a link to the website to purchase this camera?
id check ebay + match the style to my exact camera above - unfortunately i dont have the direct link

Last edited by myw; 02-16-2023 at 12:27 AM.
dlascoskie (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 01:14 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Is there a better DIY than this one on removing the Nav Unit?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-bracket.html
Old 02-16-2023, 06:34 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
That has already been done it is in the DIY guide

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...diy-guide.html

it is updated almost every day with new stuff
myw (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:15 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Is there a better DIY than this one on removing the Nav Unit?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-bracket.html

there is no easy way to explain how to remove that.. its just an annoying frame.
and you cannot get the cables loose off the DVD because the frame is in the way, and can't get the frame loose till the DVD unit is out of the frame
You just have to wiggle and be care full not to damage the fiber cable..

onces the DVD is out, its just a matter of yanking the frame forward and it comes out, do not yank it with DVD and cables in cause you'll end up breaking the fiber cable
Its really just a question of careful fidgeting to get the cables detached in the rear.. No manual or explanation will change that
Old 02-16-2023, 09:47 AM
Hecklerstan
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Can confirm
Trigger on 6
Cam 12+ on 8

Hi svandamme:
Like what you said, the pin 8 will supply 12V for camera power. But with provided harness, there is a yellow cable connected to pin 8 which going into the red big connector. Does it mean that I will remove the yellow cable from the pin 8 on the white 6 pin connector and connect the pin 8 to power line of my camera? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2023, 10:09 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hecklerstan
Hi svandamme:
Like what you said, the pin 8 will supply 12V for camera power. But with provided harness, there is a yellow cable connected to pin 8 which going into the red big connector. Does it mean that I will remove the yellow cable from the pin 8 on the white 6 pin connector and connect the pin 8 to power line of my camera? Thanks!

yellow is only used on tip tronic cars..
on manuals it goes to an empty socket in the Porsche DIN harnass
Old 02-16-2023, 10:25 AM
Hecklerstan
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yellow is only used on tip tronic cars..
on manuals it goes to an empty socket in the Porsche DIN harnass
Yes. Mine is Tiptronics. So if the yellow cable is needed for the tiptronic version, should I splice the pin 8 yellow cable to power the camera? Thanks...

Last edited by Hecklerstan; 02-16-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

there is no easy way to explain how to remove that.. its just an annoying frame.
and you cannot get the cables loose off the DVD because the frame is in the way, and can't get the frame loose till the DVD unit is out of the frame
You just have to wiggle and be care full not to damage the fiber cable..

onces the DVD is out, its just a matter of yanking the frame forward and it comes out, do not yank it with DVD and cables in cause you'll end up breaking the fiber cable
Its really just a question of careful fidgeting to get the cables detached in the rear.. No manual or explanation will change that
Ah okay. I’ve never disassembled all the plastic surroundings in the frunk. I’m guessing that’s straightforward.
svandamme (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 11:50 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hecklerstan
Yes. Mine is Tiptronics. So if the yellow cable is needed for the tiptronic version, should I splice the pin 8 yellow cable to power the camera? Thanks...
Somebody else will have to answer that one, I only did the manual..
Tip is easier from what I understand because PCCM alreayd knows the reverse is enabled. But not sure if that happens via the yellow cable or not.

if not, then probably yes you can power the camera off it.
Quick check , does the yellow cable on your PCCM harnass, lead to a cable on the Car's din connector? or is it also a dead end?
if its a dead end, than it can be used for power.

dead end on my manual

Last edited by svandamme; 02-16-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request