Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 09:21 PM
Cmg Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pascalemod
IN fairness the 997.1 guys really could use the upgrade a lot more than those of us with 997.2s. We can also wait few more years and get the upgraded one, who knows what new features it might bring with it anyway.
Agree. Hope it comes out soon
The following users liked this post:
turb0 (01-20-2022)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:10 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

How long has Porsche been saying this is to come in the near future .... Still waiting ?
Old 12-01-2021, 01:14 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 381 Likes on 247 Posts

I recommend the nm automotive solution. Easy to install if you can follow directions. Only downside is the limitations on the screen resolution but not a deal breaker. Has been reliable to me. Took only 2 hours to install.
The following 2 users liked this post by kellen:
ATX_Native (12-01-2021), Elliotw44 (01-20-2022)
Old 12-01-2021, 11:37 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
We had a problem with the back up camera initially. It would operate and then quit. We worked until 1 AM the next night swapping and moving surface mount parts on the PCB to no avail as we talked directly with the factory in China. In other words, support was incredible.

We pulled Anthony's car into the garage the next day to change his oil before he headed to Vancouver. Anthony got home a week later and a week after that I got a new box with hardware and software changes. All good with the back up camera after that.

Apparently the CANBus has subtle differences between MT and PDK that affects the way the reverse indication occurs. It's nice having the steering lines on the camera. It's even nicer having factory support.

The system has proven to be very reliable. And Google Maps has made many improvements so having that on the PCM screen is really nice.

But, and this is the kicker, my recent pushed phone software update seems to have removed the download option for offline Maps guidance. And a lot of my driving is where I've got no network connection. So this is a problem.

This points out a very real concern for anyone waiting for Porsche's update ...

Carplay and AA will (IMHO) always be flaky as they chase software updates. Think about all of the different platforms these interfaces play on. There will be bugs. I've seen this over the last five years with Pam's car that was built from the factory with Carplay and AA. These platforms are ever changing.

For anyone taking longer trips, I have heard from many that Waze is kicking out and screwing up. I saw that on a recent drive to Santa Barbara. And that was a direct interface on my phone, not from phone to yet another 3rd party platform. And recovery requires a full phone reset and destination set up. Not what you want to be doing as you drive.

I think from the 996 update Porsche realizes the problem here ... Do they want to adjust their software in order to chase software from other sources that they have no control of? Needing to frequently update software on the Porsche unit (dealer required) would be a particular concern with a dealer network that has gotten burned doing software updates (bricked units) in the past. OTA updates would be necessary. There may be hurdles.

So I suspect we will see continued delays on the 997 update.

As I see it, for now 9xxresearch.com has the best option. You keep the old system and have the new as well. You have support. And the system works.

Note: When I pulled my amp to refresh it (no problems since I replaced the 8 power caps and added transistor paste to the components using heatsinks) all of the balance settings went back to factory setting. In other words if you preset balances before installing a new screen and then lose power to the amp, with other systems you'd be out of luck setting the balance again. There is real value to being able to flip back to the old system. Just my two cents.
My 2020 Chevy Colorado is experiencing the same "update" issues with the Apple Car Play and my phone, everything being updated (cept maybe the car (?))
And my lady, Pamela, her Macan also from time to time, the updates don't keep up....

"As society regress's forward"....
Old 12-02-2021, 12:16 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
My 2020 Chevy Colorado is experiencing the same "update" issues with the Apple Car Play and my phone, everything being updated (cept maybe the car (?))
And my lady, Pamela, her Macan also from time to time, the updates don't keep up....

"As society regress's forward"....
I think Porsche is learning this the hard way with the 996 update and the pains induced which is why I'm skeptical that they will rush to get the 997 version out there. This is why a went with 9xxresearch. This is the same as the NM unit but distributed and supported from within the USA. This will only work on the 997.2 cars AKAIK. For those with 997.1 versions I believe the only option is complete replacement.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:20 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

I think Porsche is learning this the hard way with the 996 update and the pains induced which is why I'm skeptical that they will rush to get the 997 version out there. This is why a went with 9xxresearch. This is the same as the NM unit but distributed and supported from within the USA. This will only work on the 997.2 cars AKAIK. For those with 997.1 versions I believe the only option is complete replacement.
Agreed. Not to mention the fact that our cars weren't exactly "Prius" numbers, partially (mostly?) due to the recession....So, i'f I'm a bean counter at Porsche, I'd take the return on investment into consideration. Hence, we wait.....
Old 12-29-2021, 09:06 PM
2fast2nick
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Porsche, make a PCCM+ unit for 997.2 please!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2fast2nick:
anewman (12-30-2021), ekam (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 08:50 AM
davismt55
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also like the 5.1 DTS CDs tho they are pricey and hard to find being out of production (I assume). “Gaucho” by Steely Dan is superb!
VT Blue (04-19-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 11:40 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by davismt55
I also like the 5.1 DTS CDs tho they are pricey and hard to find being out of production (I assume). “Gaucho” by Steely Dan is superb!
+1 on the 5.1.. DVD A for me. Try Queen's Night at the Opera... wow!!! I don't have the Steely Dan disc.... but I will look for it, thanx.

I am willing to bet that Porsche and Becker (no, not Bose) are having some arguments about putting 5.1 into their new unit (assuming they are even going to do one). It is a format that only a few dorks (like me) use, and it sure would be cheaper and easier for them to drop it. Stay tuned.......

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:15 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

is it the pdk cars that have reverse indication line info coming out of can bus? i dont think the manual cars send the info.

Apparently the CANBus has subtle differences between MT and PDK that affects the way the reverse indication occurs. It's nice having the steering lines on the camera. It's even nicer having factory support
Old 01-19-2022, 10:55 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
is it the pdk cars that have reverse indication line info coming out of can bus? i dont think the manual cars send the info.
Anthony (9xxresearch.com) can determine reverse on a manual car as well as PDK so there must be something indicating such on the CANBus, but it took some research to see one as well as the other transmission type.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:26 PM
pepperpepper
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I was told by by a classic service advisor at a large Porsche dealer that we'd be getting a PCCM+ sometime this year. I hope it's soon because my old PCM is starting to get flaky, and the patched together bluetooth solution bothers me to no end. Has anyone else heard when Porsche plans on dropping PCCM+ for us?
ParkslopeDope (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 07:48 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by pepperpepper
I was told by by a classic service advisor at a large Porsche dealer that we'd be getting a PCCM+ sometime this year. I hope it's soon because my old PCM is starting to get flaky, and the patched together bluetooth solution bothers me to no end. Has anyone else heard when Porsche plans on dropping PCCM+ for us?

That’s good news if we get something this year.
Bagbot (03-07-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 12:47 PM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

We need an update on this.
The following 3 users liked this post by acf:
ekam (04-10-2022), JAD20 (05-12-2022), ParkslopeDope (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,097 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Originally Posted by acf
We need an update on this.
Agreed - was hoping they'd be announcing it in spring for those of us that want to use it over summer.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request