Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 01:19 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
For what it's worth, back in the mid-90's I bought my first Porsche - a 1978 928 and I promptly yanked out the outdated original tape deck stereo to replace with an Alpine CD player.

That old/original stereo is now very desirable and valuable for those out there looking to restore their 928 to original form. Granted there were a lot more 997's made, but who knows - maybe in 20 years people will find the original 997.1 PCM with the phone number pad to be something very cool to have!

Mine will go in a box along with my old 928 stereo to use someday, maybe!
My 928 radio bit the dust in 2015 :-)

Old 01-16-2023, 01:22 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by beebman
@dph928 I’ve taken another look and have had no joy getting car play to work with the external usb. Here’s my thinking. Usb controller chips normally only support two connections. As the unit has one in the front and the one I found on the rear then that’s two usb’s. Hopefully I’ll be proved wrong when your media box arrives🤞. I’m looking at removing the 12v in the centre arm rest and replacing it with a usb port using some thing like this with the connectors changed. It’s a tidy and cheap alternative to the media box if it doesn’t work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373293059...mis&media=COPY
I’ve got a wireless charger at the moment, see pic. I’d really like to remove it though (now I have no need to touch the phone screen with Bluetooth adaptor for music etc. ) and have CarPlay wireless and plug it in for long journeys.

I’ll share as soon as the unit arrives and I’ve tried it. The thing that gives me hope is that the Porsche unit has USB and specifically “phone” separate along with AUX. The brown connector can only accommodate 1 usb, so the other must be going to the 10 pin socket. On the 996 forum, someone had that brown socket broken on delivery and the result was only the USB wasn’t working, CarPlay still was working. Fingers crossed. Keen to confirm the box literally is just a housing. The limit on usbs definitely sounds plausible.

Last edited by dph928; 01-16-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:45 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
So I have a funny back story to share....

If you skip ahead to minute 32:00 in the YouTube link to their show from this last Friday night, they share the story and some of the pics I sent them of my install.

First Dibs - Episode 71 - Porsche Classic Radio
Brilliant!
Old 01-16-2023, 04:05 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm wondering why the GPS antenna can't go on the shelf that came with the unit. What's above it besides plastic, leather and glass? I see where the factory CD changer left no room for it but that's gone now.

Also, which side of the tunnel is the antenna controller to by-pass? The Euro guys looked like the right side, US passenger side?

Thanks

Last edited by Steven C.; 01-16-2023 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:44 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
So I have a funny back story to share....

I met a guy a little over a year ago that had just received delivery of one of the Stop-Sale 991.1's, a C4S Coupe, from Porsche of Colorado Springs. He told me that a couple of the guys from Porsche of Colorado Springs had started a podcast called First Dibs. The premise of First Dibs is to discuss cars that they were receiving in on trade, had recently bought, or were somewhere in the CPO process but had not hit their website yet so listeners could potentially catch wind of them before they were listed for sale, hence the name of their show. They also discuss other Porsche related content, host interviews, etc.

It was right around this time (late 2021) that an article had surfaced from the EU with an interview by someone who seemed to indicate that the PCCM+ for the 997 was in the works. I had tuned into a couple episodes of First Dibs and heard that they had an upcoming interview scheduled with someone from Porsche Classic. So I reached out to them and shared the link to the article, and asked them if they could ask their contact at Porsche Classic about the status of the 997 PCCM+.

As it turns out, that line of questioning may have created at bit of a stir at Porsche Classic, but that it also underscored the potential demand for the 997 PCCM+ and that it was moved forward in the project queue because of that. So the way I see it, you can all thank me that the 997 PCCM+ was released to the public when it was

If you skip ahead to minute 32:00 in the YouTube link to their show from this last Friday night, they share the story and some of the pics I sent them of my install.

First Dibs - Episode 71 - Porsche Classic Radio
Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed watching it. My install is tomorrow and I'm planning to get the installer to use a flat USB cable that I purchased at MicroCenter tucked between the HVAC and the PCCM to provide for the ability to attach a wireless dongle in the back of the device. Until someone figures out an alternative for a second USB this would be my option for wireless CarPlay/AA.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:57 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I'm wondering why the GPS antenna can't go on the shelf that came with the unit. What's above it besides plastic, leather and glass? I see where the factory CD changer left no room for it but that's gone now.

Also, which side of the tunnel is the antenna controller to by-pass? The Euro guys looked like the right side, US passenger side?

Thanks
There is the air vent with wiring directly above. If you don’t have the chrono stopwatch, sure it could go above that. That is what I had originally planned. Once the vent is out, that ledge though is ideal and very easy to attach to. The dash in not a flat surface. You’d probably have to glue rather than use the adhesive tape.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:45 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan1
Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed watching it. My install is tomorrow and I'm planning to get the installer to use a flat USB cable that I purchased at MicroCenter tucked between the HVAC and the PCCM to provide for the ability to attach a wireless dongle in the back of the device. Until someone figures out an alternative for a second USB this would be my option for wireless CarPlay/AA.
How thin is that flat cable? It might have a lot of trouble fitting without cutting a channel between the faceplates. Perhaps just use a short usb extension and put the dongle into the storage bin under the hvac?
Old 01-16-2023, 06:25 PM
DLK
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

A USB port is soldered onto a PCB. Wouldn't it be possible to simply piggyback off the four solder points on the PCB and route a wire through the back of the radio and make a "floating" USB connection behind the radio. Hook up a Wireless CarPlay dongle to that USB port and all is well in the world :-) Probably even possible to stick the dongle on the newly created shelf above the radio.

You will probably void the warranty though.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:12 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan1
Can you clarify what you mean? Are you saying that there’s a connection on the back of the unit to run a USB instead of using the USB on the front of the unit? I didn’t think this was possible as of yet.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:38 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel the suggestion was placing it on the tray bracket that comes with the unit and where the Most Control Unit sits, I do not have Sports Crono so could that work?
Old 01-16-2023, 07:50 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by funcars
How thin is that flat cable? It might have a lot of trouble fitting without cutting a channel between the faceplates. Perhaps just use a short usb extension and put the dongle into the storage bin under the hvac?
It's very flat. Also I don't want to drape it over the front of the HVAC. I'd rather use a 90 degree angle USB cable and place it on the right side under the glove box if placing it between the PCCM and the HVAC doesn't work. But ultimately the installer will decide.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Can you clarify what you mean? Are you saying that there’s a connection on the back of the unit to run a USB instead of using the USB on the front of the unit? I didn’t think this was possible as of yet.
The plan is to place a flat USB cable between the PCCM unit and the HVAC. Use one end of the flat USB to plug in to the front of the unit (not visually ideal I admit) but then since the one I bought is 3 feet, place the other end at a convenient location for use by a wireless dongle.
The following users liked this post:
Bavarian 997 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 07:59 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by DLK
A USB port is soldered onto a PCB. Wouldn't it be possible to simply piggyback off the four solder points on the PCB and route a wire through the back of the radio and make a "floating" USB connection behind the radio. Hook up a Wireless CarPlay dongle to that USB port and all is well in the world :-) Probably even possible to stick the dongle on the newly created shelf above the radio.

You will probably void the warranty though.
Doing that is beyond my skill set. And I doubt my installer will agree to do that.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:42 AM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Starting my install in a day or so, and I'd like to confirm something with those already installed and with similar setup to my 997. I have BOSE, cd changer (emulated by a Dension/ipod), and factory Nav. I wanted to confirm that I don't have to remove the cd changer and the Nav dvd reader (with fiber loops). With those components still on the MOST bus, will the PCCM+ ignore them in the MOST loop and communicate properly with the BOSE amp?

thanks!
Old 01-17-2023, 08:04 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Good morning 😴. Take a look at Beepmann and medicus post. #573

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request