Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 10:06 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 3,032 Posts

When I was in high school, a friend of mine got his license with zero training, just passed a test, on an auto box.

The day after, he took his father's (with permission) 635CSI five speed and promptly drove it, himself and three passengers into a tree, killing all of them.

So yeah, I have some opinions on people being properly trained on all aspects of vehicles, how they operate and how they behave before being let loose on public roads - if they chose to not ever drive a manual again, great, but at least they have had some experience with how a manual behaves dynamically differently than an auto, and IMHO, makes the roads safer for everyone.

Knowledge and at least some experience, especially when piloting a three thousand plus missile on public roads isn't a bad thing.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
When I was in high school, a friend of mine got his license with zero training, just passed a test, on an auto box.

The day after, he took his father's (with permission) 635CSI five speed and promptly drove it, himself and three passengers into a tree, killing all of them.

So yeah, I have some opinions on people being properly trained on all aspects of vehicles, how they operate and how they behave before being let loose on public roads - if they chose to not ever drive a manual again, great, but at least they have had some experience with how a manual behaves dynamically differently than an auto, and IMHO, makes the roads safer for everyone.

Knowledge and at least some experience, especially when piloting a three thousand plus missile on public roads isn't a bad thing.
Sorry for the loss of your friend but his tragic story has zero bearing on what Max Verstappen, arguably the best driver in the world right now, thinks of the manual gearbox nor does it have anything to do with other people's choices nor safety on the roads.

I too have lost friends to car accidents and their ability to drive a stick had zero to do with it. It is kind of insult for you to attempt frame this discussion in this matter.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-03-2024 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:01 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

This is how I feel about motorcyle licenses in the USA. Anyone can buy a brand new liter bike or a hayabusa if they a motorcycle license. I suppose if I was king for a day I'd have a special licensing procedure for sportbikes in general.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:37 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,493 Posts

<Tiptronic/PDK/Manual is the best transmission in the world...>

FFS, can't we move on to something really important, like what brand of oil to use?

Or should we just pour some 91 octane on the dumpster fire?
Old 01-04-2024, 07:20 AM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

I fiddled around with the frunk latch and adjustments at the hood until it finally able to again pop the latch. I was hoping I didn't have to replace the actuator for the third time. I'm sure glad I re-routed the catch wire under the headlamp enclosure which I learned to do long ago. Really helps to gain access quickly when needed, and is a highly recommended to those that have not yet done this.

Some things just don't operate as they should in 18 degree temps.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:26 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 344 Posts

I haven't found the stock pedals to be a problem with heel/toe. I have size 12 feet and can pretty easily roll my foot from the brake to the gas to blip it in between shifts.

John, what I find more interesting is the amount of corners at HPR you take in 2nd gear. Based on your lap times, obviously that isn't over slowing you on corner entry, however, with the exception of corner #6 and 8, I'm in third gear. I've been wondering if I'm over slowing the car in corner 6 by going down to 2nd. Your gearing is different than mine though, right?
Old 01-04-2024, 09:33 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Sorry for the loss of your friend but his tragic story has zero bearing on what Max Verstappen, arguably the best driver in the world right now, thinks of the manual gearbox nor does it have anything to do with other people's choices nor safety on the roads.

I too have lost friends to car accidents and their ability to drive a stick had zero to do with it. It is kind of insult for you to attempt frame this discussion in this matter.
Not to worry, it was a long time ago. Ironically, the day I got my permanent license, I drove into a pregnant woman on a bike, this was with several month of driver training, so **** does happen.

I thought we were talking about the joys of driving a manual and what folks who didn't were missing out on...?

I'm not trying to insult anyone, I just vehemently believe the more training the better, especially when they're young. Pretty sure the German's young driver training program is the best in the world, BC is now somewhat trying to emulate that with a graduated tier system, so I suppose we shall see.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:36 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtec_
This is how I feel about motorcyle licenses in the USA. Anyone can buy a brand new liter bike or a hayabusa if they a motorcycle license. I suppose if I was king for a day I'd have a special licensing procedure for sportbikes in general.
Here, there are a lot of kids with the 'Red L of Death' driving all sorts of supercars with zero training all because Mom and Dad have lots of bucks, and zero common sense, but think their babies need to drive 700hp Ferrari's right out of the box. As you can imagine, there are a number of impounds (weekly occurrences) and crashes (variable).
Old 01-04-2024, 10:14 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
get a set of pedal extensions. Makes it very easy to rev-match.
any you recommend for street driving?
Old 01-04-2024, 10:17 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,532 Posts

.......I thought we were talking about the joys of driving a manual and what folks who didn't were missing out on...?...
You don't seem to realize that most folks who know how to drive a manual experience no "joy" with it. A vast vast majority of people who know how to drive stick aren't buying cars with them. That is why sales have sunk to a historical lows and have continue to sink year after year, decade after decade. People who enjoy driving manual transmissions are the outliers, not the other way around. Get over it.

Max Verstappen, “I hated driving stick. I’ll take an automatic any day.”

As for the "safety" tangent YOU pushed us into. The driver of the vehicle that killed my friend had attended Skip Barber Racing School, he was both both highly trained and highly skilled. He simply made a very stupid decision that cost him his own life as well as that of my friend and two other passengers in the car. It's been proven time and time again that no amount of your desired additional "training" will prevent people from occasionally making bad decisions.

This is the last I am talking about this.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:48 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry about your friend.

And, you are correct in that there is no amount of training that will make up for a bad decision.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:59 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

As far as shifting goes...

Mine is hesitant to go into 1st at times at a stoplight. I recently replaced the tranny fluid and it did not improve. I have Ben's short shifter and most likely need to adjust the linkage under the center console. I read that the shifter alignment tool would help but say allusions to that not working with an aftermarket shifter. Any truth to that?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X7.html
Old 01-04-2024, 12:08 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 796 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
any you recommend for street driving?
Rennline
Old 01-04-2024, 12:16 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
As far as shifting goes...

Mine is hesitant to go into 1st at times at a stoplight. I recently replaced the tranny fluid and it did not improve. I have Ben's short shifter and most likely need to adjust the linkage under the center console. I read that the shifter alignment tool would help but say allusions to that not working with an aftermarket shifter. Any truth to that?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X7.html
Are you talking at stop position, or rolling to a stop and trying to downshift into first?
Old 01-04-2024, 12:20 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 805 Posts

I actually don't care what transmission you have as long as it's what you want. I want an R8 to go with the 996 and I keep finding myself looking at the S-tronic variants instead of the gated manuals.
The following users liked this post:
ernbu (01-04-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?