Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 09:48 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
Went for an early AM blast before the blast furnace heat set in. Pushing 110 nearby.
Dry heat or humid heat? It was 90 degrees the other day but humidity was aroun 40% or so..my car felt awesome! As soon as it gets humid it feels like someone put a rag in my airbox!
Old 06-07-2024, 09:56 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Are the diverter valves suposed to leak down after a certain period of time?

I hooked up a mityvac like tool to them and can get them to open but I hear hissing inside when they are pressurized and they close after about 5 minutes
Old 06-07-2024, 09:56 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
Dry heat or humid heat? It was 90 degrees the other day but humidity was aroun 40% or so..my car felt awesome! As soon as it gets humid it feels like someone put a rag in my airbox!
It's very dry. I miss driving in ocean fog. Car loved it too.
Old 06-08-2024, 03:56 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 349 Posts

Was able to put this set together. Will install today
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
homelessdave (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 06:02 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfbz
The second technique (which I prefer) is to use a drywall jab saw and just cut through dead center of the hose between the plenum and check valve. Once they are separated, it is much easier to remove the check valve and get the short stub of the hose off the plenum without risking breaking the nipple. Then just replace that section of hose when reinstalling...

Shown below are the 'suction jet pump' (aka venturi tube, for power brake vacuum generation), which on mine was also leaking, the old #16 check valve, the cut hose, and new check valve with replacement hose.

This picture shows the plastic nipple on the plenum, which if you break, you are kind of f*ck&d.
Thank you, cutting it off made it easier for sure. As far as getting it back on though..did you use a special clamp to get that hose clamp off the nipple on the plenum?
Old 06-08-2024, 07:50 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Today I noticed again that worn rear RT615K+ tires begin to howl as they approach their wear markers and they are growling louder by day. Worn ( or Toyo or Nitto! ) tires have always had a disconcerting sound to me, as they sometimes mimic the growl of a wheel bearing going bad. I am actually looking forward to finally trying my rear Kenda ... UHP something or others. It won't be long now.
Old 06-08-2024, 07:52 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 3,095 Posts

I thought you were already running those Kendas...?
Old 06-08-2024, 07:52 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by docwyte
Was able to put this set together. Will install today
Good lucking bits. Is some or most of your cabin in CF? I had some of those terrific interior option pieces/trim in alum/leather in a different car, wish I still did.
Old 06-08-2024, 07:54 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I thought you were already running those Kendas...?
No, they are staring at me. I needed fronts so I installed new P Zero's and was waiting to do my front brakes first. Any day now!

You know, it's funny. I can barely remember what the Kenda's are even called. I only remember they were only 250 a copy!

Last edited by Lazurus; 06-08-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 11:04 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
Thank you, cutting it off made it easier for sure. As far as getting it back on though..did you use a special clamp to get that hose clamp off the nipple on the plenum?
Are you asking how you remove the piece left behind after you cut the hose?
Once you have the engine lowered, the hose cut, and the check valve removed, there is usually enough space to get at the clamp with a standard hose clamp pliers even if the ears are rotated towards the firewall without putting too much strain on the plenum nipple.

For the replacement hose, I usually just use Norma worm-drive hose clamps instead of the spring type.

I have some similar to these:

Last edited by pfbz; 06-08-2024 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:08 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfbz
Are you asking how you remove the piece left behind after you cut the hose?
Once you have the engine lowered, the hose cut, and the check valve removed, there is usually enough space to get at the clamp with a standard hose clamp pliers even if the ears are rotated towards the firewall without putting too much strain on the plenum nipple.

For the replacement hose, I usually just use Norma worm-drive hose clamps instead of the spring type.

I have some similar to these:
Yes, I managed to get it out and tested it and it is indeed no good (the valve) but was having a hard time getting the clamp loosened up. Will try again tomorrow when I have more energy!

The saw tip helped immensely! I might be able to button this thing up tomorrow so I can try boost leak testing it!

I thought my diverter valves were leaking but it was just a bad hose connection on my gun. I suppose I will replace them at some point but they are holding 20 psi just fine.

Why does this car have 2 diverter valves? Is it because its a 'bi-turbo' or twin turbo? The only time ive seen multiple BOV setups were on 1000+ whp evos and supras that were running big turbos with big boost.

The 10 psi that the stock TT creates with its mighty k16s needs two ?

Last edited by vtec_; 06-09-2024 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:30 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lazurus
Good lucking bits. Is some or most of your cabin in CF? I had some of those terrific interior option pieces/trim in alum/leather in a different car, wish I still did.
No, my car is actually a stripper model options wise. Custom ordered by the first owner with only sports seats, silver gauge faces, body color center console and stainless "turbo" door sills. Not how I would've ordered it, I would've added the X50 package, heated seats, the little carbon fiber package and deleted the sunroof.

Got them installed yesterday, looks and feels great! I'll be posting my Function first black delrin **** with silver lettering soon...

Old 06-09-2024, 10:31 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Oh, after 7+ years the battery that came with my car finally died. It was a massive H8 battery, so I replaced it with the H7 instead...
Old 06-09-2024, 11:22 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
No, my car is actually a stripper model options wise. Custom ordered by the first owner with only sports seats, silver gauge faces, body color center console and stainless "turbo" door sills. Not how I would've ordered it, I would've added the X50 package, heated seats, the little carbon fiber package and deleted the sunroof.

Got them installed yesterday, looks and feels great! I'll be posting my Function first black delrin **** with silver lettering soon...

The CF package is a lot of work after 20 years of being in the car. The epoxy on top can yellow from UV light and some trim pieces can come loose from their panels, My dash panels peeled up and I have them out for repair currently. Nothing has yellow thankfully.

Is that the factory console? Mine has a silver trim ring around the shifter boot. I also had to repaint that.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:39 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
The CF package is a lot of work after 20 years of being in the car. The epoxy on top can yellow from UV light and some trim pieces can come loose from their panels, My dash panels peeled up and I have them out for repair currently. Nothing has yellow thankfully.

Is that the factory console? Mine has a silver trim ring around the shifter boot. I also had to repaint that.
That's an eBay shift boot, the factory shift ****/boot are in my basement. Center console is factory. Yeah, that's why I'd only want the "little" CF package. A friend had the full CF package in his car and all the large pieces were cracked/worn, despite being replaced multiple times under warranty. I think the best CF is the hand brake, shift ****, radio and instrument cluster surround and that's it. The other larger CF pieces and little dash pieces just get too beat up.

Last edited by docwyte; 06-10-2024 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?