Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 06:09 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I love watching that car, it is truly something.

I see you have the new wheel on - I also notice that you didn't do a complete cross of your hands once; is it better than a full circle?

Cheers,
We went with this wheel so that the dash would be fully visible. I really like the feel of it which is very much like the 992Cup I drove about a year ago. This steering wheel is actually the same OMP wheel used on the Lamborghini Supertrofeo race car. I modded it slightly for our application. It's pretty seamless using it compared to a full circle wheel. There is really no difference from a user standpoint. You see a lot of novice drivers shuffle their hands around the steering wheel when they drive which is a big no no but I see it a lot. This steering wheel precludes you from doing that naturally.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:23 AM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
Do any high mileage 6 speeds not have the 2nd gear popout problem or the clutch slave cylinder /actuator go bad? I factored alot of this into my decision to buy a tip as I don't have the time to drop the drive train to "do it right"

As far as inexpensive goes..I suppose its relative to your income/net worth but the costs to rebuild a tiptronic didn't scare me at all.
The "popout" issue was limited to MY 01-02's. By then there had been enough occurrences of it, that the engineers had determined that the issue while likely caused by misshifts that damaged the 1/2 synchromesh, it was exacerbated by tolerances in the gear stack placement, and it was remedied by changing those tolerances by shimming and this changing the stack placement tolerances. I have never known of, or heard of it happening since those changes were made known to the master techs. Those same Porsche service techs, when these cars were "new" were unaware that the potential problem even existed. It's now a 15-20 year issue that plagues nearly no one even with early model year cars.

As to the clutch slave hydraulics. Sure, those are wear items that at some point give everyone trouble. They are no big deal to repair. I've replaced clutch slaves and accumulators in my garage in a couple hours. It's no big deal. I would not trade the elimination of that once every five year isssue, for a Tip Vs a MT car. But that's just me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lazurus:
996dougie (01-04-2024), LinwoodM (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:12 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I love watching that car, it is truly something.

I see you have the new wheel on - I also notice that you didn't do a complete cross of your hands once; is it better than a full circle?

Cheers,
We went with this wheel so that the dash would be fully visible. I really liked the steering wheel feel in the 992Cup I drove back in '22 and wanted to go with something similar. This steering wheel is actually the same OMP wheel used on the Lamborghini Supertrofeo race car. I modded it slightly for our application. It's pretty seamless using it compared to a full circle wheel. There is really no difference from a user standpoint. You see a lot of new drivers shuffle their hands around the steering wheel when they drive which is a big no no. This steering wheel precludes one from doing that naturally by forcing you to keep your hands in the correct spot at all times.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:44 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,994 Likes on 3,037 Posts

That is a thing of beauty - and you can clearly see the entire dash in your video.

How tight are the tolerances on the quick connect? For awhile, I used something similar on the R, but found the slop (due to less than ideal tolerances on the spline) to be very irritating, so I removed it.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:17 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
All the G50 gearboxes are essentially the same. The ability to shift quickly and easily is most impacted by the clutch / flywheel one uses and to a smaller extent by the shifter. With the hardware, shifting a G50 box is quite effortless. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBzIHVabvrc
good lord watching you drive just shows me how **** of a driver i am... i can barely rev match on an offramp approach at low rpms let alone do it close to redline at risk of overrevving the engine... you are truly a craftsman John...
Old 01-03-2024, 10:36 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,549 Posts

^ Not only the rev matching, his is left foot braking in between all of that.

@powdrhound John, you should shoot a pedal box shot so we all can watch you dance.
The following users liked this post:
17ram2500 (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 10:41 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
^ Not only the rev matching, his is left foot braking in between all of that.

@powdrhound John, you should shoot a pedal box shot so we all can watch you dance.
i didn't even notice that!!!
Old 01-03-2024, 12:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My feet are big enough that I can keep braking and blip the throttle.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:51 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So can everyone else, that’s called heel-toeing a downshift.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-03-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:03 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 107 Posts

I do not have large feet but found the dead pedal area extremely tight. I removed it and the bracket under the carpet. That helped for comfort but does nothing for heel/toe. No way could I sideways (foot 90° to the pedal) heel/toe in this car. It would have to be left side of my foot braking and right side blipping the throttle. I have not even bothered trying though.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
So can everyone else, that’s called heel-toeing a downshift.
Oh, never knew that....
Old 01-03-2024, 02:10 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
... It would have to be left side of my foot braking and right side blipping the throttle....
That is how some folks do it.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:39 PM
17ram2500
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 113 Posts

Ya, actually I find the 996 a difficult platform to heel and toe and blip the throttle. With a lot of practice I've gotten better, but pedal spacers help. I have a set waiting to get installed (lazy, I know) and having driven a 996 4S back to back with them against my car, it's much easier to heel and toe. Shoes are also critical. But mostly practice. Learning to roll your foot while right foot braking onto the throttle to blip is just practice. Lots of it.

Im nowhere as good as John, but I'm decent enough that it really does help, especially on track. And it's much kinder to equipment. The first few times, slow down and really practice. You don't even need to be moving. Figure out where you want to downshift (for me it's between 4000-3000 rpm) and practice getting the rev's up and let out the clutch. Then work on braking and doing it at the same time... then put it all together. See how good you can get in slow street driving. Putting it together at race pace will take a different level of effort. '

This is a pretty good video
Old 01-03-2024, 03:28 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 140 Posts

That is a thing of beauty - and you can clearly see the entire dash in your video.

How tight are the tolerances on the quick connect? For awhile, I used something similar on the R, but found the slop (due to less than ideal tolerances on the spline) to be very irritating, so I removed it.
I have the same quick connect although on a different type of wheel and it is rock solid. No slop, no play. Those 2 silver bars inside the mechanism lock the wheel to the shaft and it has a keyway so it only goes on one way to the end that stays on the shaft. Integrated wiring harness plug in the middle of all of that with very tiny pins so there isn't much room for error. Professional motorsport grade piece, pricy but well worth it if you're in need of a removable wheel.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:34 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I did it more for theft deterrence as Type-R's were hot to steal, but I suppose at the time, the wheels/splines/locks were not the greatest.

Yours (and John's) seem much fancier to me.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?