What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 12:32 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,990 Likes on 3,034 Posts

Originally Posted by sdematt
I've heard about issues with using Mobil 1, so I've just avoided but don't really have any evidence...

@2fcknfst Better money spent than a foundation repair I've got to do...

Home renovations - I didn't know I could spend money with this velocity and not end up with a new hot motor...
Your first adventure into the fun of frost heave...

Good times; had the same issues 400kms north of you.

Pity you cannot take the house to the track...
Old 02-15-2023, 12:36 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
We need @2fcknfst to start boot-legging some of those Walmart 5L jugs down here....
Tell you wat Son, we can make that happen!

I have a locker in WA state, taking things southbound is wayyyyyyyy easier than taking them north.

Yesterday, for example, as I crossed south, it was the first time they ever did a 'random' inspection on me - they opened the back of the Burban and I heard the officer say, lotsa room in there!

Still doesn't explain why you guys cannot get it easily.
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (02-15-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 04:14 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It sat outside under cover while I was doing some work - so had to charge the battery
Old 02-16-2023, 05:54 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

After a long hard of winter sitting (for me...), Plugs done, gt3 dip stick installed.

Plugs look good.... A testimony to being well tuned.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:03 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And, thanks @sdematt for the dip stick hookup; I'll no longer have nightmares about the digital one dying in the middle of nowhere.
sdematt (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 07:01 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts

you were able to do the dipstick without lowering the engine?
Old 02-16-2023, 08:13 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
After a long hard of winter sitting (for me...), Plugs done, gt3 dip stick installed.

Plugs look good.... A testimony to being well tuned.

I was a little disappointed with my dipstick, as it barely register oil on the tip of the dipstick when I know the oil level is correct after changing the oil. Other folks who have done the dipstick mod report similar results.

Have you compared the dipstick reading yet?
17ram2500 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:31 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I was a little disappointed with my dipstick, as it barely register oil on the tip of the dipstick when I know the oil level is correct after changing the oil. Other folks who have done the dipstick mod report similar results.

When the OEM electronic gauge shows all bars full, the GT3 dipstick will show low, usually between the bottom and mid point dots on the dipstick. We calibrated our electronic oil level gauge to correspond to the full mark on the dipstick. Not sure it really matters either way as this is a dry sump engine.

Last edited by powdrhound; 02-16-2023 at 08:33 PM.
17ram2500 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:18 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kamlung
you were able to do the dipstick without lowering the engine?
I do not know; @mffarrell was kind enough to give me simplified instructions, that I then passed on to Ford - based on the bill, I would say no.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:26 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell

I have not, I did just try and pull it out, it was somewhat awkward. As noted above, I was not having a good time with the idea that the electronic level could die in the middle of nowhere, because I do like to drive out into the boonies, but I will chack it tomorrow.

Originally Posted by powdrhound
When the OEM electronic gauge shows all bars full, the GT3 dipstick will show low, usually between the bottom and mid point dots on the dipstick. We calibrated our electronic oil level gauge to correspond to the full mark on the dipstick. Not sure it really matters either way as this is a dry sump engine.
I was under the impression that, if the sump was overfilled, the excess would go into the crankcase - which would be bad. Is that not the case?

But also good to know that it reads low, when full.

Cheers,
Old 02-16-2023, 10:41 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I was under the impression that, if the sump was overfilled, the excess would go into the crankcase - which would be bad. Is that not the case?

But also good to know that it reads low, when full.

Cheers,
I would just note where the dipstick indicates when the electronic gauge shows full and use that as a reference if the electronic gauge ever died. The dipstick is a pain in the **** to read but it does not lie as long as you use it when the oil is fully warmed up and car is level. Maybe it's calibrated a bit on the high side because they wanted a greater reserve on the Cup cars during endurance races. I don't know. I think there is a bit of a leeway either side of full. I wouldn't overthink it.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:08 PM
168Sierra
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 109 Posts

I picked up a Kline exhaust with 200 cell cats and a pair of 997.2 intercoolers some time back and got them installed today. Tomorrow I will pull the front bumper cover to clean the radiators and finish the reassembly. I did start it on my lift and am very pleased with the sound.
Mark

Kline muffler with 200 cell cats

Driver side intercooler

Passenger side intercooler
Old 02-17-2023, 09:09 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I would just note where the dipstick indicates when the electronic gauge shows full and use that as a reference if the electronic gauge ever died. The dipstick is a pain in the **** to read but it does not lie as long as you use it when the oil is fully warmed up and car is level. Maybe it's calibrated a bit on the high side because they wanted a greater reserve on the Cup cars during endurance races. I don't know. I think there is a bit of a leeway either side of full. I wouldn't overthink it.
Perhaps a larger tank...? I won't put a lot of thought into it, when it gets light out, I'll check. Thanks John, appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 02-17-2023, 09:20 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Soooooo, dip stick and plugs/coils were not the only thing that happened yesterday, I am pretty sure I met the meanest little old lady in Vancouver yesterday when she unceremoniously drove into the back of the turbo...

So, I stopped, got out, could see she was a little old lady, so I asked for her insurance, she says 'Why...?', and I respond with, 'Well, you hit me from behind...'

'No I didn't. I'm not paying for anything, you're wrong...'

Insert picture of beaten up late 90s Toyota here...

Well Ma'am, the rules are we have to exchange information...

I'm not giving you anything, I'm leaving...

Well Ma'am, if you do that I'll have to call the police and report this as a hit and run.

I'm calling my lawyer.

Ok, but I still need your info...

No. Go away.

Ok, I'll just call the police then, and we can make sure everything is above board.

You're an azzhole.

That may be, however, we still need to file a report.

On phone with police dispatcher 'Are you in the danger from the other driver?' Chuckles to myself, 'No, I think I can manage it'

Three police show up, little old lady is going crazy.

Young officer to me, 'Sir, she is really mad!'.

Me, 'Yes, I have noticed'.

Officer - 'She doesn't want to listen'

Me - 'Also noted'

Officer, 'You are free to go', me, 'Thank you Sir'

Little old lady from 30' away, VERY LOUDLY - 'YOU'RE LETTING HIM GO????? HE'S AN AZZHOLE, HE DID THIS!!!!'

Me, drives away, calls insurance, highly irritated for a little ding.

This is not a normal little old lady interaction for me, it was quite shocking.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:49 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,110 Posts

^^That sux.
Originally Posted by theprf
I guess I will order some for delivery then. I usually order it from my local NAPA which is next door to my office. Wonder why they can't get it. I'll ask them tomorrow.
The oil weirdness continues. When I stopped by NAPA to pick up the non-cancelled order the counter guy looked at me funny and said "we didn't cancel anything, we have all the oil you ordered right here." So I did get my 24 quarts of 5W-50 after all.
pfbz (02-17-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?