Sponsored by:

#$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
In fact, I'm wondering if I should get new rods and bolts, or, I believe there are aftermarket rods with no bolts available. But, I think that will get too expensive in a hurry.

How about chain rails, guides, tensioners? Maybe new ones for the new motor?.
The car just got dropped back home. Starting to look like a freekin' used car lot here.
I wasn't being serious. I was trying to highlight how if one believes the engine needs the things like chains, cam guides, etc. the sky's the limit and really if one feels the engine needs this kind of internal attention he's buying the wrong engine or driving the wrong car.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Beer and Cosmo, sheesh. Yeah, going the way I expect any RL thread to run. Still missing the *****, however.

So, let me steer this back to the matter at hand.

One guy PMed me that he thought he could hear a tappet sound in the video clips. Any of you agree?

Also, the car is somewhere in Houston (I don't know where yet). The seller said it would be fine if I wanted to send someone by to check it out. Any volunteers?? That would be fantastic, if I could get some eyes on it while it's still in the car and in running condition.

As mentioned earlier, the owner of the shop where the car is at got bitten by some sort of toxic spider, so is in the hospital, apparently slipping in and out of consciousness.

[Holey arachnophobia! You just can't make this sort of stuff up!!!]

So, the engine seller is working on getting the car moved to another shop.

Here's a spider that's living in the eaves of my garage. We named him Boris.
Listening to the second clip I hear something from the car. I note with that extensive rear end damage likely the noise could be explained by an exhaust leak.

Ideally the car should be put on a lift with the engine running and the engine given a PPI, at least the tech listen to the engine with a stethoscope. If the exhaust is leaking the PPI should discover this. If the noise is coming from inside the engine then there's a problem.

My advise would be to keep looking for an engine unless you are prepared to strip this one down and address the source of that noise. But without knowing the source of the noise you could be buying a nice can of worms. Unopened.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:55 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 PM
riddler777
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there was a bit of an arguement about the depriciation and 996 eating money, for those feeling crossed I might give you a nice example of my experience,

so here is a car, bought for 1000$

then adding about 10000~15000$ in parts paint wheels upgrades it looks like this

does it cost the money thrown at it? of course not

why did I do it?

well simply for the fun of it, and I don't earn that much, but it gave me lots and lots of experience sharpened up my skills, and opened lots of doors I didn't even knew existed

it also gave me very good idea of how what works and allowed me to work on my own Porsche, and fix its blown up engine, and the car was bought as a roller, with "head gasket damage"

I paid 10900euros for my car, then personally towed it on a trailer 1200miles home, and actually I don't regret anything. It is a fantastic car, yes it has some flaws compared to my long experience of owning and working on beemers. but NO car gives such a thrilling feeling driving it, ok maybe a ferrari or a lambo would, but I havent grown till them by now

so take it easy, and enjoy the car if you like it and are lucky enough to be able to afford it

peace
Old 12-04-2014, 11:15 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

is that an M5?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM
riddler777
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it started it's life as a 524tdA 2,4 liter turbo diesel with automatic transmission and miserable 105hp ended up with 320hp and 500nm from 5,4l v12.

but this is too far offtopic I believe, I'm not here to advertise this car
Old 12-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Hmm... again, anyone in Houston who can take a look? Maybe I should make a new post in the general forums, to ask a wider group of RLers. Surely, someone here is in Houston.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:19 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Cuda,
Sandersd is in Houston and knows his way around the M96. Maybe he can help?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:15 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Thanks, I sent Sandersd a PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Cuda, Don't get caught up in a frenzy of trying to rebuild the replacement motor. Ask DCP for maintenance records on his car and swap your car parts to the replacement engine if yours is newer like the AOS.

Look at other common wear/maintenance parts like the chain guides, water pump, coils and plugs. Rest can be fixed when it breaks or need replacement few years down the road.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Cuda, Don't get caught up in a frenzy of trying to rebuild the replacement motor. Ask DCP for maintenance records on his car and swap your car parts to the replacement engine if yours is newer like the AOS.

Look at other common wear/maintenance parts like the chain guides, water pump, coils and plugs. Rest can be fixed when it breaks or need replacement few years down the road.
Yup no need to get all lathered up into a ball of sweat.....have fun with that picture.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74

+996
Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

over 280 posts and counting with currently over 15,000 views....safe to say a record may be in the offing?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
How many people here would not hesitate to plow $5K into a vet bill for their favorite pet? You don't see this as a wasted investment into a non-appreciating asset, you see it as an opportunity to extend the time you get to spend with something that, in one way or another, makes your life better.

You'd need to be a cold-hearted SOB to say, "No, just give Max the needle, he's not worth fixing." Right or wrong, rational or irrational, some of us feel the same way about our cars.
I would go for the needle!!! bye bye Max!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I replaced the AOS on the car about 19,000 miles ago. So, I guess I can just keep that one. Or do you guys think I should get a new one?

OK, coolant expansion tank being added to the list.

KK, I'm sure this is where you can add some great value to this thread!

Here's a list of some recent preventative maintenance stuff I did on the car (and you guys thought KK was KKrazy! ). Also, new fuel pump (a separate invoice).
WOW. That's one hell of a parts list. Sorry to hear that your engine blew. Take your time and weigh your options. PM me if you want details of my build and why I chose not to buy a used engine.

Quick Reply: #$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!