996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

#$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts
Default #$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!

Well, a fun day, blew the motor.

Here's the details:

San Diego Region PCA was doing a back-county drive today, through the twisties. There were about 45 cars. The group kept getting split up, and at one point I was in a group of about 5 or 6 cars, and the leader pulled over to check his GPS.

I was stopped next to him on an unpaved area at the side of the road. He then figured he knew which way to go, and took off. Since I was on dirt, I accelerated rather slowly. The second I hit the pavement, I heard a "bang".... it sounded like I had thrown a rock into the undercarriage or something.

Immediately, the car shut itself down and I coasted to the side of the road. There was an approximately 30-foot-long oil slick on the road behind me. At the very beginning of the slick was the chunk of metal in the pic below. Looks like cast aluminum, so a part of the engine, obviously.

There was no cell phone coverage out there, so I had no way to call anyone. Fortunately, Chris and his wife in their 914 were behind me and stopped. But, there was no way they could give me a ride into town in the 914, and we were 10 miles out of the nearest town (Fallbrook) on a narrow, twisty, hilly two-lane rural road.

I climbed a hill with one of the Motorola radios that were passed out to some members of the group, to see if I could get any reception up there. Eventually, one of the guys and his wife on the tour got into radio range and I was able to let him know what was going on. ... everyone else was ahead and had no idea what was going on and there was no way to call them. He gave me a ride into Fallbrook (thanks, Jim!!!!) crammed in the back of his GT3. In Fallbrook, I called AAA, and Jim gave me a ride back to my car.

I had it towed to a shop in Vista, but the gate to their parking lot was was locked since it's a Sunday. However, a short while later, a guy towing a race car on a trailer showed up and had a transponder for the gate, and he let me in so that I could drop the car.

I wrote a note, attached it to my keys, and tossed them through the mail slot on the door, and got a ride back home. So, the car is over there now, in the shop's parking lot.

OK, the car may be toast. But, what do you armchair quarterbacks think blew?

(Note: RMS and IMSB were changed out about 2 years ago (about 19,000 miles ago).

2003, C2, Tip transmission.
Attached Images      
Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Dang, very sorry to hear that Cuda and I hope it isn't as bad as it looks.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, sorry to hear that! Based on your story you were just pulling out and engine let go out of nowhere?
Old 11-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Sorry to hear it!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Yep, exactly. I couldn't have been going much more than 5 mph. As mentioned above, it sounded like a rock, which struck me as odd, since I wasn't even going fast enough to kick up a rock.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Man what a bummer. Hope they can save it.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Ouch! Sorry....I know how you feel. At first I thought you might have bottomed out on something but you sump pan looks good and the spewing oil is ahead that. Spun bearing....snapped / broken rod...dunno. When mine went I didn't have oil coming out......just felt a vibration and then a bang bang bang. Did you hear or feel anything outside of the one bang?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

^^^ Nope, just the one sudden bang. The engine shut down immediately. No other warnings or symptoms.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

AOS sits right on top of that area, could it have went out in the blaze of glory?

If that is the only metal piece you found, it could be just a coincidence and it may not be from your car.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:16 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Bummer...
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

[
Kalashnikov: AOS sits right on top of that area, could it have went out in the blaze of glory?

If that is the only metal piece you found, it could be just a coincidence and it may not be from your car.
AOS was replaced last year. I don't think it would spew all that oil from an AOS. (Isn't the AOS plastic?)

Interestingly, the car eventually stopped leaking at the side of the road. But, by the time the tow truck reached the shop in Vista, the bed was covered in oil.

Ha, yeah, I tried to convince myself that a piece of cast aluminum would just randomly have been sitting at the beginning of my oil slick. Now, I just have to convince myself that if I buy a lottery ticket tomorrow, I will win.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry man, keep us posted to hear the diagnosis
Old 11-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cuda911
[

AOS was replaced last year. I don't think it would spew all that oil from an AOS. (Isn't the AOS plastic?)

Interestingly, the car eventually stopped leaking at the side of the road. But, by the time the tow truck reached the shop in Vista, the bed was covered in oil.

Ha, yeah, I tried to convince myself that a piece of cast aluminum would just randomly have been sitting at the beginning of my oil slick. Now, I just have to convince myself that if I buy a lottery ticket tomorrow, I will win.
Yes, it is plastic but I am just looking at the location and what could spew oil in that area. I hope you get the good news when shop looks at it.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
^^^ Nope, just the one sudden bang. The engine shut down immediately. No other warnings or symptoms.
K just wondered...I'm interested as to what the cause was as I'm sure you are...but I'm thinking the prognosis ain't good.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:34 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Sucks. Fingers crossed for good news.

Quick Reply: #$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!