Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 08:51 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
So, what does a couple pounds of cat guts go for these days ??
$120 for them... Cost me $100 for the welding. a 20 spot and hopefully some new horsepowers is pretty good.

I think it's going to be stupid loud, having someone that can weld frees me up to get a muffler setup done though...we'll see when that will happen...
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 12:24 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
$120 for them... Cost me $100 for the welding. a 20 spot and hopefully some new horsepowers is pretty good.

I think it's going to be stupid loud, having someone that can weld frees me up to get a muffler setup done though...we'll see when that will happen...
Jason, cool project. Curious on how much it changes your power band. What are you thinking for a muffler set-up?
Old 07-20-2021, 12:31 PM
zbomb
Race Car

I really would like to get the car on a dyno to do cats vs. no cats but I haven’t been able to make the time work with anyone within a reasonable drive. And since any power impact for me that means anything will be measured in seconds or MPH, it’s not a huge priority. As I’m keeping the in-tact cats that are currently on the car good to use in case of need, I can always run the test later.

I want to run 2 exhausts, the way it is now with just the bullet mufflers when sound isn’t an issue and something that is as quiet as possible without adding a ton of weight back in for sound restrictive tracks with the end goal of making sound at Lime Rock muffled days. I’m going to get some measurements this week of what I have for real estate and then come up with some ideas…
GC996 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 12:44 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

I really would like to get the car on a dyno to do cats vs. no cats but I haven’t been able to make the time work with anyone within a reasonable drive. And since any power impact for me that means anything will be measured in seconds or MPH, it’s not a huge priority. As I’m keeping the in-tact cats that are currently on the car good to use in case of need, I can always run the test later.

I want to run 2 exhausts, the way it is now with just the bullet mufflers when sound isn’t an issue and something that is as quiet as possible without adding a ton of weight back in for sound restrictive tracks with the end goal of making sound at Lime Rock muffled days. I’m going to get some measurements this week of what I have for real estate and then come up with some ideas…
Can't remember if you mentioned, did you ever do software, plenum and throttle body?

If not, you will have a good baseline to judge plus/minus improvements depending on how far you go.

Last edited by GC996; 07-20-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:55 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by GC996
Can't remember if you mentioned, did you ever do software, plenum and throttle body?

If not, you will have a good baseline to judge plus/minus improvements depending on how far you go.
All stock… only airflow mods on the exhaust side - cause they’re cheap and save a boat ton of weight, any power gain has been a benefit of the weight reduction goal.

I don’t see anything to tell me the investment in TB/Plenum to be worth it.

I would love to play with tuning the ECU though, specific for my use to include dyno and track tuning but the market for that seems to be non existent. Back in my Evo days, there was open source tuning software available for the stock ECU that was quite powerful, I wish something analogous existed for our cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
GC996 (07-20-2021), James_03C4S (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:44 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

All stock… only airflow mods on the exhaust side - cause they’re cheap and save a boat ton of weight, any power gain has been a benefit of the weight reduction goal.

I don’t see anything to tell me the investment in TB/Plenum to be worth it.

I would love to play with tuning the ECU though, specific for my use to include dyno and track tuning but the market for that seems to be non existent. Back in my Evo days, there was open source tuning software available for the stock ECU that was quite powerful, I wish something analogous existed for our cars.

Smart!

FVD used to have software that you could tune. Dont know if they still do.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:42 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 395 Posts

Hope this doesn't get you banned everywhere with a sound limit!!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:56 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Hope this doesn't get you banned everywhere with a sound limit!!
Well - I've never seen them kick anyone out of Thompson for sound, the rest of my days besides our Lime Rock day are there. I do want to run Palmer at least one more time this year and will have to have something in place to get by there... I'm working on it.

So - Interesting news... earlier today I said I could run a test with the stock cats Vs. deletes... yeah - can't. BOTH of the cats I just pulled off the car were bad, failed 1st element exactly the way my other 2 have failed.

Got the deletes on and the rest of the exhaust, Aaron told me my neighbors will think poorly of me (he's smart) if I gave it a couple rev limiter taps with the new setup so no sound clips yet...

Old 07-24-2021, 02:43 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Quick clip for anyone interested in the sound of the new setup, figured I'd grab a quick clip when I put it into the garage after a quick rip and wash.

Ready for the track on Thursday,

GC996 (07-24-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:10 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 165 Posts

Next internet challenge for Zbomb: which is louder, a straight piped m96 or mezger?

Between 100 and 101 at cold idle

Cold start peak was 109db and blipping the throttle to 4k was peak 126db.

My neighbor came over as I was doing this laughing his *** off and saying that this is a sign I'm clearly the worse neighbor with a decibel meter in hand measuring how obnoxiously loud my car was. After which we checked his 60s mustang which came in at 90db idle and 118db revving. I win.

Video proof:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/znzJdC5X5ShpM7c77
zbomb (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:08 PM
zbomb
Race Car

DB meter inbound my guy - you're on. And technically, I have 2 mufflers

Work for the day was the removal of one rad fan and shroud with big venting for the wheel liner. This should allow greater airflow through the rad at track speeds. I am going to recreate the liner venting on the other side but not for a bit, just ran out of time this weekend.

Last edited by zbomb; 07-25-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Porschetech3 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:15 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,165 Posts

I think that ought to improve airflow! We've actually had a fairly cool summer, so far.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:40 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by theprf
I think that ought to improve airflow! We've actually had a fairly cool summer, so far.
I don’t see how it can hurt. This summer, July specifically has blew with the constant rain. Really hoping Thursday is dry and we see a turn for the better.

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Saw quite a few of your videos. The last one was vs the callaway corvette. Anyway great stuff, I would be interested in seeing your shifting points (rpms). Any Idea what your car weights now?? wish you the best at your next track day and keep on Making Videos. Maybe we got off in the wrong way, but we definitely have a common interest in our cars and how they perform, regards Luis.
Thanks for watching the videos.

Shift is generally at red line or as close to it as I can get. There are times on track where a short shift makes more sense (to me) when holding the gear means I will hit the limiter before getting to the braking point. It feels like the car makes peak power up high, like above 6K RPM and under 3.5K feels very slow and like the car does not like seeing high load at those RPM’s.

The weight is back in the thread, I want to say off memory it was 2950 with a half tank of gas.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,165 Posts

I don’t see how it can hurt. This summer, July specifically has blew with the constant rain. Really hoping Thursday is dry and we see a turn for the better.
If there are no rivers across the track I will be happy. Last Wednesday actually turned into a really nice day @ Palmer, I'd guess half the drivers no-showed. There were only 8 in the advanced group! I had too much fun, I guess, I corded my R888R's after 8 track days so now scrambling to find something for Thursday. Those stinkin' Spec Miata guys have bought up all the tires in my size.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:54 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by theprf
If there are no rivers across the track I will be happy. Last Wednesday actually turned into a really nice day @ Palmer, I'd guess half the drivers no-showed. There were only 8 in the advanced group! I had too much fun, I guess, I corded my R888R's after 8 track days so now scrambling to find something for Thursday. Those stinkin' Spec Miata guys have bought up all the tires in my size.
Looks like you’ll need to bring the turbo…

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996