Received 4,023 Likes on 2,286 Posts

Damn that was good!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:53 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,296 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Damn that was good!
Thanks Glenn - It was fun for me to go back and re-watch it. Most times I re-watch myself at the track all I see is stuff I need to do better, this time, I was actually able to see some stuff I was happy with... and a lot to do better
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
GC996 (09-18-2021), Porschetech3 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 09:42 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Bad a???

Originally Posted by zbomb
Really happy with this string of laps, if it wasn't for the Lotus almost losing it at the end, would have knocked another 10th or 2 off my best... On to the next goal. Hope you guys enjoy the video.

https://youtu.be/gsagLVcufm0
Dude you are really getting fast. I watched some of your earlier stuff and then this. I noticed quite a bit of tire noise on this, I taught you said the tires had quite a bit of use. Do you think is older tires or maybe you are getting close to the traction limit of those tires.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:15 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Dude you are really getting fast. I watched some of your earlier stuff and then this. I noticed quite a bit of tire noise on this, I taught you said the tires had quite a bit of use. Do you think is older tires or maybe you are getting close to the traction limit of those tires.
By my count, these tires have 48 20 min sessions on them, from the seat, I am definitely a lot closer to the edge of grip but I still think the car has more to give, especially in the higher consequence corners where I am not willing to push as hard as the more forgiving areas.

As much as I would love to throw another set on, I think at this point I will finish the year on these if I can keep them out of the cords. I am curious if a new set would be faster, and how much faster if so.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:43 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Proxes

By my count, these tires have 48 20 min sessions on them, from the seat, I am definitely a lot closer to the edge of grip but I still think the car has more to give, especially in the higher consequence corners where I am not willing to push as hard as the more forgiving areas.

As much as I would love to throw another set on, I think at this point I will finish the year on these if I can keep them out of the cords. I am curious if a new set would be faster, and how much faster if so.
I used to run proxes. They were 18 on the original r32 aristo wheels. If I see the thread design I would be able to recognize them. They were really good but I didn’t track the car as much
as you. The set that I bought lasted all 4 years that I tracked the car. The thing that I remember was that the tread wear was 60.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:03 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Funny - Not funny. So that new truck I bought, the one I took delivery of Wednesday night.... with that nice new 6.2 LS... ummm yeah - It **** the bed Yesterday and I had to limp it to the nearest dealer. Had the kids with me while the wife was on a weekend trip, had just dropped the dog off at the groomer, 40 minutes from my house... no loaners, no rentals available - What a cluster.

I am willing to bet it broke a valve spring... was definitely running on 7 and when the service advisor cranked it, I could hear it was down compression in at least one hole.

Turns out, this was a common problem for new 6.2's in corvette's and trucks that had just been delivered, with most failing within 300 miles - mine had like 270 or something...

So, tomorrow the dealer will tell me what's wrong... keeping my fingers crossed it's something minor but certainly not expecting it.

Suits me right for being such a big proponent of LS' for reliability and power reasons haha... you can't make this **** up.

It looked good right before it died...

That will end this rant - can't promise there won't be more...

The M96 continues to get the **** beat out of it and keeps asking for more
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 09:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,774 Likes on 2,153 Posts

Uh huh....M96 vs LS = M96 (1) vs LS (0)...
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
Dr_Strangelove (09-21-2021), zbomb (09-19-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:16 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Ford with 5.0 3 valve

Funny - Not funny. So that new truck I bought, the one I took delivery of Wednesday night.... with that nice new 6.2 LS... ummm yeah - It **** the bed Yesterday and I had to limp it to the nearest dealer. Had the kids with me while the wife was on a weekend trip, had just dropped the dog off at the groomer, 40 minutes from my house... no loaners, no rentals available - What a cluster.

I am willing to bet it broke a valve spring... was definitely running on 7 and when the service advisor cranked it, I could hear it was down compression in at least one hole.

Turns out, this was a common problem for new 6.2's in corvette's and trucks that had just been delivered, with most failing within 300 miles - mine had like 270 or something...

So, tomorrow the dealer will tell me what's wrong... keeping my fingers crossed it's something minor but certainly not expecting it.

Suits me right for being such a big proponent of LS' for reliability and power reasons haha... you can't make this **** up.

just get an f150 with the 5.0 three valve engine. You’ll get 200,0000 miles out of it, plus the f150 supercrew is the one with the biggest interior cabin space. I don’t haul nothing I don’t tow nothing I’m on my second 2.7 eco boost great family car, I was doing 110 yesterday with the family going down south. Get one with the Michelin’s LTX tires, it drives like a car and you’ll get 80,000 miles out of those tires as long as you rotate them.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:39 PM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

I bought a brand new 2018 Tahoe RST with the 6.2/10spd. It was a lot of fun, then at 8k miles the passenger seat leather started to crumble/fail.

local Chevy dealer (I bought it out of state after they wanted me to pay sticker) said they would have their vinyl guy come glue/patch it back together. I said I wanted a new seat cover but they refused because this is how GM does warranty work. I called corporate and they said the same.

took it to another Chevy dealer out of town and within 15min they had a new seat cover on order and an appointment for replacement.

All the while they don't offer loaners for $75k trucks so you have to sit next to the guy getting a tire patched on his Spark like some sort of common pleb.

That's my Chevy rant and why they lost my business

GC996 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 05:47 PM
Houtx996
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by work_truck
All the while they don't offer loaners for $75k trucks so you have to sit next to the guy getting a tire patched on his Spark like some sort of common pleb.
I can solve this for you, leave your windows sticker on the truck, so people know how important you think you are.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:09 PM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Houtx996
I can solve this for you, leave your windows sticker on the truck, so people know how important you think you are.
i can't imagine thinking I'm important with a bow tie on the front, but when I brought my old 6 yo Lexus in for oil changes and got new loaners, it sets a precedent for customer service that should be an industry standard. At the minimum, for warranty work.
Houtx996 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 06:17 PM
Houtx996
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Don't buy American cars, Lease MB's and BMW's. you get the service you pay for. I went and bought a cheap crossover a few months ago, the guy thought I was lying when I told him I don't pay for anything on the BMW but tires (yah I know I'm paying for it somewhere)

*I'm not a financial planner.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:49 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 611 Likes on 337 Posts

i can't imagine thinking I'm important with a bow tie on the front, but when I brought my old 6 yo Lexus in for oil changes and got new loaners, it sets a precedent for customer service that should be an industry standard. At the minimum, for warranty work.
Got a 428i BMW loaner when I brought my 210k mile, multi-colored, 128i to the dealership to have the passenger window motor & regulator replaced about a year ago.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:46 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Dealer confirmed, broken valve spring on #4 - this was a known issue (GM knew, I had no idea) with VS's breaking sub 500 miles on these engines, regardless of platform from the middle of last year until DEC build dates... For those engines, GM says to replace ALL springs. The dealer tried to tell me they were going to replace only the broken spring - the rest of my day was spent sowing the seeds of eventual satisfaction - we'll see how it goes. On a silver lining note, parts are available, the damage confined to the spring (supposedly) and I should have the truck back soon. I'll be getting compression and leak down tests and the service Manager confirmed they will cut the filter open and inspect for any debris from the break, he said the spring break was a clean snap so thinking it should be fine but better safe than sorry.

ETA - I said the truck had 270 miles above - that was wrong, 201... 201 flipping miles, of which about 190 were driven by me post delivery
Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
just get an f150 with the 5.0 three valve engine. You’ll get 200,0000 miles out of it, plus the f150 supercrew is the one with the biggest interior cabin space. I don’t haul nothing I don’t tow nothing I’m on my second 2.7 eco boost great family car, I was doing 110 yesterday with the family going down south. Get one with the Michelin’s LTX tires, it drives like a car and you’ll get 80,000 miles out of those tires as long as you rotate them.
That was the 2nd choice, I like the 6.2 better - or liked... we'll just have to see.

That's my Chevy rant and why they lost my business
I'm picking up a warranty funded rental tomorrow, it will probably be a complete POS but I don't care... The dealer had no loaners available and the rental places were out of cars, tomorrow was the earliest date I could pick one up - wild.

Originally Posted by Houtx996
Don't buy American cars, Lease MB's and BMW's. you get the service you pay for. I went and bought a cheap crossover a few months ago, the guy thought I was lying when I told him I don't pay for anything on the BMW but tires (yah I know I'm paying for it somewhere)

*I'm not a financial planner.
I drive WAY too much to lease. I do love my German cars though, had a bunch of BMW's including the car I traded in for the truck, an F30 that I put 150K on and paid someone to fix once - the front diff needed to be replaced, it was JAN I think and I didn't want to do it on my back in the unheated garage, I think that engine will run for another 100K. That said, had a couple American trucks and they all treated me well, granted - they were all Ford's...

Last edited by zbomb; 09-20-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Porschetech3 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 07:55 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Billup
Got a 428i BMW loaner when I brought my 210k mile, multi-colored, 128i to the dealership to have the passenger window motor & regulator replaced about a year ago.
Aint nothing wrong with being multicolored...

The following 3 users liked this post by zbomb:
Billup (09-21-2021), plpete84 (09-21-2021), Trimsarctic996 (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996