zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 03:56 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Add one more YouTube subscriber.
The following 2 users liked this post by Einsteiger:
Ratchet1025 (01-31-2021), zbomb (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:08 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,018 Likes on 936 Posts

Holy cow that looks insane!
Old 01-31-2021, 04:33 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Looking pretty sweet! 4/22 at Thompson's the first TNIA this year....
Old 01-31-2021, 06:35 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Thanks guys. CAN NOT WAIT to get back on track. Actually, can't wait just to fire it up. Feels like its been a long time and as much as I like tinkering, I'm ready to rip it. Feels like still a ways off with the gearbox out and too many projects started but not completed. Hopefully by the end of Feb things will start wrapping up, if all goes to plan anyway.

Started getting my act together on running the harness. Going to get a new Raychem 45 deg boot to get the harness clocked how I need and then shrink the rest of the bundle going into the dash. I cut a notch in the trim piece around the steering wheel and lined the pass through with heat shrink I sliced and superglued for abrasion protection.

The wiring should be really easy.

Power and Ground - I am going to use the factory phone wiring for a switched 12V. Thinking I may grab a connector and mate from work and I'll pin both the Aim wires and power and ground from the factory phone wires so I have a nice easily serviceable setup.

CAN - accessed from wiring going into the gauge cluster, I'll splice them in behind the cluster.

Sensors - all plug and play, just need to run them. Sensor - jump harness - Aim harness.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:12 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Gearbox and this beauty off to a real mechanic to be married in hopeful holy matrimony. Anyone else get behind a mechanical love story ? Stay tuned !

Also - going to be posting some info for those that may be interested in the data side from a guy who knows nothing (me) but has got some help from some folks who know a lot on different aspects of the system that is going in my car.... first post will be on alarm and notification strategy I have setup.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 09:22 PM
zbomb
Race Car

A feature that can be used on the Aim dash is setting user defined alarms and warnings that utilize the data streams you are capturing, be it from the stock ECU CAN (RPM, Coolant Temp) or from discrete sensors outfitted to the system, in my case we will be talking about oil pressure and temperature sensors that I utilized.

The dash has 6 LED's that can be setup to alert if a specified condition is met. Seen below on the left (1, 2, 3) and right (4, 5 and 6)

It also has the ability to turn the entire screen red and display a user defined message.

Now, I have set an initial configuration of my alarms but expect to a certain extent these to be refined over time following - my main initial focus has been to develop a theory of operations with how I will move forward.

Setting the alarms is very easy.

In the case above we start with the determination of what conditions we require to all, or any be met. The example above is ALL.

IF

Condition 1. Engine RPM over 500. This is done to ensure the alarm is not triggered when the car is not running,

AND

Condition 2. Oil pressure falls below 13PSI

THEN

LED 1 will fast blink red until the condition is no longer met

AND

A message "LOW OIL PRESSURE" on a red sreen will appear for 10 seconds.

So, when the alarm is triggered, LED 1 will fast blink until the pressure rises above the setpoint and the screen will go red and alert the Oil Pressure warning for 10 seconds before going away and the full screen becoming visible again. As long as that LED 1 is blinking, no bueno.
Ratchet1025 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 09:32 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Continued...

I have set my LED's with:

LED 1 - all oil pressure related
LED 2 - all water temp related
LED 3 - all oil temp related

Now you can stack these alarms. So say at idle you want the oil pressure alarm to go off at 13 PSI but at 4K RPM 13 PSI could mean the motor. You can adapt the conditions. For instance - If RPM is above 4000 and oil pressure is below 25 you can have the same alarm notifications set. In my case, I have multiple conditions for oil pressure, any of them going into alarm triggers the same notification, LED 1 fast blinking red and a notification of the display.This really allows a fine tuning based on the conditions to a very fine degree.

For temperature alarms I have not only the RED alarms indicating things need to be shut down but also what I would call notifications which trigger yellow alarms that indicate we are approaching safe limits and may need to dial it back

I also have warmup notifications. These are blue and will stay solid lit until both engine oil and water reach operating temperature at which time they will extinguish. When the blue lights go out, hammer time

Anyway, hopefully some of you will find that interesting.

Last edited by zbomb; 02-02-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Ratchet1025 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:06 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Well i find it interesting. I wish i could justify one but i dont think i will track enough.

after seeing your posts in the race forum i was figuring u would go all in on one of these.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

Data and warnings are good, but at some point they will really ruin your enjoyment, your focus, and your times. Getting bright flashing red lights as youre on the limits of grip can be really distracting.

All this info isnt going to stop the oil pressure from dropping so unless you plan to drive to avoid it, i think the better move is to do all the prep you can and just drive it hard as you can
Old 02-02-2021, 11:50 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Data and warnings are good, but at some point they will really ruin your enjoyment, your focus, and your times. Getting bright flashing red lights as youre on the limits of grip can be really distracting.

All this info isnt going to stop the oil pressure from dropping so unless you plan to drive to avoid it, i think the better move is to do all the prep you can and just drive it hard as you can
Yeah, just don't agree with ruining anything, are you speaking from experience ?. Reviewing data, making small changes, reviewing data rinse and repeat is fun - cant do it without the data. Just like I enjoy wrenching on the car - ****, my day job is stressful, I got 2 little kids and a wife, this **** is cathartic for me.

If alarms are going off in sufficient volume to ruin focus and times, they're not set right or the car is broken and should be addressed.

Agreed on not stopping pressure from dropping on its own - that would be foolish... and no, I'm not going to drive to avoid it, but maybe switch up the oil or the volume I'm running as a result of what I see, maybe add an oil cooler or an accusump who knows ? I know that if I make a change, the effectiveness, or not will be clear enough even I'll comprehend it. I suppose you would argue the gauge is sufficient info for you to be able to make those assessments, it is not for me. Besides CTS, can you find me some good data on oil pressure... Like the kind that says LN's deep sump is better than Mantis is better than FVD is better than...stock ?

I have steering angle, GPS, accelerometer and brake pressure sensors as well - using the data that I will have available is not solely for the mechanicals...oh yeah - a shift light too, even you must like a shift light

And QC, I like you dude - your kind of a ball buster a lot but if we cross paths - Budweiser is on me.

ETA... What do I gotta do get that 2nd liked post ? I gotta look what the one is.

ETA TAKE 2.... A RADIO INSTALL ???

Last edited by zbomb; 02-03-2021 at 01:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Jnelso (02-03-2021), Porschetech3 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:40 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Data and warnings are good, but at some point they will really ruin your enjoyment, your focus, and your times.
Interesting point. Since I stopped recording my bike ride stats, it’s been much more fun. That’s why I do it. The fitness is a bonus😎

it is cool the read and watch your progress Z. Keep it coming.
zbomb (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:21 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by zbomb
Yeah, just don't agree with ruining anything, are you speaking from experience ?. Reviewing data, making small changes, reviewing data rinse and repeat is fun - cant do it without the data. Just like I enjoy wrenching on the car - ****, my day job is stressful, I got 2 little kids and a wife, this **** is cathartic for me.

If alarms are going off in sufficient volume to ruin focus and times, they're not set right or the car is broken and should be addressed.

Agreed on not stopping pressure from dropping on its own - that would be foolish... and no, I'm not going to drive to avoid it, but maybe switch up the oil or the volume I'm running as a result of what I see, maybe add an oil cooler or an accusump who knows ? I know that if I make a change, the effectiveness, or not will be clear enough even I'll comprehend it. I suppose you would argue the gauge is sufficient info for you to be able to make those assessments, it is not for me. Besides CTS, can you find me some good data on oil pressure... Like the kind that says LN's deep sump is better than Mantis is better than FVD is better than...stock ?

I have steering angle, GPS, accelerometer and brake pressure sensors as well - using the data that I will have available is not solely for the mechanicals...oh yeah - a shift light too, even you must like a shift light

And QC, I like you dude - your kind of a ball buster a lot but if we cross paths - Budweiser is on me.

ETA... What do I gotta do get that 2nd liked post ? I gotta look what the one is.

ETA TAKE 2.... A RADIO INSTALL ???
Ok so you want a scientific approach to mods on engine health oiling and i can dig that. I think reviewing the datalogs after the fact will be the key there.

Ad for personal experience...yup not as fancy though. I mounted an oil temp and oil pressure gauge on the top of the dash and wouldnt you know it, i regularly look at the gauges. Trouble is seeing that oil pressure needle fluctuating wildly around turns distracts me, causing my line to get funky and my concentration to be a bit lost. Ive then covered the gauge with tape and i went faster.

So data is good, but too much and constant data can be distracting was my only point. Its a cool tool and a nice install, no question
Old 02-03-2021, 09:24 AM
zbomb
Race Car

The reason an alarm beats a gauge is, it’s invisible, until it’s not.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by zbomb
The reason an alarm beats a gauge is, it’s invisible, until it’s not.
Fair point, just wondering how frequently it will alert so you may have to play with it a bit. But then, reducing it so much may render it useless. Balance I guess.

I do have a variable color shift light under my gauges and that I really like.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:17 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Gearbox and OS Giken LSD have been dropped off at German Performance Service for install.

Marc, the owner of the place is sharp and was recommended by some folks I trust so I know its in good hands.

Cant wait to get it back and get the drivetrain back in 1 piece.

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996