Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 11:26 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,452 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
I will provide the details of what’s needed to get the unit installed.

This will however be the 2nd occasion, 1st being corner balance and align where I am paying someone to work on the car.

It was recommended to me that this install is best left to a Pro with machining capabilities, so that’s the route I’m going.
even more interesed now. I already have the bridgeport but im not that good of a machinist. I do have frlends that are.

I thought only the tips needed the ls machined, i guess it depends on the ls unit?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:18 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Boooo. I want to see on an old Bridgeport being unloaded from a trailer with come alongs and pipes.

On a more serious note, looking forward to updates. Does this use friction discs or is this a torsen differential?
Dude, if I had a shop I would totally use this as an excuse, Never have to seem to have enough space as it is in the garage.

It’s a friction disc.

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
even more interesed now. I already have the bridgeport but im not that good of a machinist. I do have frlends that are.

I thought only the tips needed the ls machined, i guess it depends on the ls unit?
Well, that’s kind of the unknown at the moment. The case may, or may not need some machining for clearance. The stub axles definitely need to machined to G50 spec.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:58 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Well - it is now official, my MY02's are shipping out on Monday and I pulled the trigger on my data system.

I worked with Matt @ Trailbrake.com and he put together a package for me based on what I was looking for, I have said it before - you can't work with a better guy for your data needs. Car, driver - if you want to quantify and evaluate it, Matt can design a package for your requirements. In fact - he's such a good guy he's letting me take away from his weekend so I can go and pick it up !

Matt loaned me an Aim Solo 2 for one of my track days and after playing with the system and the Race Studio software, it was a pretty easy choice to go that route, although with a scaled up system for my requirements.

I'll be logging Oil P, Oil T, Water T, Brake Pressure, Steering Angle, Accel, GPS speed, RPM.

All the data I capture I will make available for anyone that is interested in it - oil pressure, temps, my ****ty driving etc... I know this stuff isn't for everyone and some people want to just hammer away which is cool, but if you are interested in - what difference does a 3rd radiator actually make... stay tuned !

The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Ratchet1025 (01-29-2021), SleepyCyclist (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:02 PM
SleepyCyclist
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 117 Posts

very cool - can't wait to see the setup and the data!
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 11:50 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,623 Likes on 2,098 Posts

All the Data will be displayed and logged on/in that little dash display?? Cool !!
Old 01-30-2021, 02:01 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
All the Data will be displayed and logged on/in that little dash display?? Cool !!
Yup, Display has user defined alarms, shift ights and you can have multiple display settings (warm up, race, street etc...)

Aims software where you do dash setups and review data logs is Race Studio 3

Porschetech3 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 01:46 PM
ArcainuM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am intrigued.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:22 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 925 Posts

This is way cool and thanks for sharing the info! I don't track my car but I'd be interested how much longer does it take for the oil to come to operating temperature as compared to the coolant. We know that oil takes longer but curious how long at various ambient temps while driving at staying under 3k rpms.
TexSquirrel (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 07:42 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Picked up the Aim, sensors and some cables etc.. Thanks to Matt for going into the office on his day off for me to pick up. I'll do a more thorough run through of exactly what I got and how I'll be installing but its movie night with the kids...

For now, I'll leave you with this - I started making my mounting template before I picked the unit up, as soon as I got it home I gave the template a quick test fit

Old 01-30-2021, 11:59 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by plpete84
This is way cool and thanks for sharing the info! I don't track my car but I'd be interested how much longer does it take for the oil to come to operating temperature as compared to the coolant. We know that oil takes longer but curious how long at various ambient temps while driving at staying under 3k rpms.
The software allows the data to be formatted to have both temps graphed on the same scale to see exactly what the temp difference are at any point so yeah, that will be a good one.

Theres a bunch I'm excited to see right off the bat...

Does my oil pressure change with regards to how full the sump is and how so ?

How much of an affect does oil temperature have on oil pressure ?

If I bring the coolant temps down, does it have a meaningful affect on oil temperature, does that in turn have a meaningful affect on oil pressure ?

If I open up some exhaust vents in the wheel wells to evacuate hot air from around the radiator, does it have a meaningful affect on coolant temps ?

What improvement does your $800 spent on a 3rd radiator get you.

I may even pull my deep sump off and do a stock vs deep sump test to see what the actual differences are, what did I get for my money ?

I could go on but hopefully you get the point, its going to be fun and reviewing data will be a great way to occupy my time when I'm not driving

Last edited by zbomb; 01-31-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:09 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,873 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Wow...
Old 01-31-2021, 11:17 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,873 Likes on 2,209 Posts

It looks like you will be answering the questions that we all have on a number of important issues. Let's hope for an early spring so you can get out on the track quickly. Have used the AIM solo for years, but the one you just acquired is incredible in its capabilities. Looking forward to what it tells you.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:15 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

I admire the time, effort and $$$ that you're putting into a 996. In my Porsche circle, any mention of modding or tracking a 996 usually gets the snarky reaction of "why bother?" I say: WELL DONE. Subscribed.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:13 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Does my oil pressure change with regards to how full the sump is and how so ?
Curious to see this one too. I've also noticed that at least my car's oil level seems to be very sensitive to on how much of a level surface it is parked on. This seems to be by as much as 1/2 to 3/4 quart. i.e. if parked on a perfectly level surface I'm at half on the electronic read out. Park on a street where the passenger side is maybe tiny bit higher (2-3 degrees) and I'm showing almost empty. Go figure....

Either way...subscribed to your channel. Keep the content coming.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:30 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Thanks for the kind words and the YT sub...its nice how the channel has grown and I really appreciate it. Big update video next weekend.

I think the data will help me make the car better without just throwing money at it, or at least knowing if the investment is moving the needle in the right direction.

The solo is awesome, like I said above - after running one for a track day, I like the Aim interface a lot. This unit really helps to get me the car data I want, easy expansion (future will add lambda, crankcase vac, trans temp and a smarty cam) while having all the driver data features you get with a solo and a big display with alarms and shift lights.

Got the dash mounted and am PUMPED with how it came out. Need to get some permanent hardware in but it's in, very secure and the steering wheel is not blocking the shift lights.

Last edited by zbomb; 01-31-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996