996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 02:09 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,171 Posts

I own a machine shop.... I got saws . And lathes, and bridgeports, and and and..
Old 02-08-2021, 02:20 PM
theprf
Race Car

Originally Posted by zbomb

That looks like a really nice way to measure oil pressure before the engine. I see a pressure transducer there, is the other a temperature sensor?
If it is a temp sensor try to get the element sticking into the flow of oil. Your picture looks as if it may be recessed a bit, which will give lower readings if it's measuring a stagnant pocket of oil.
Remind me, is the oil cooler before or after the filter? If you're measuring pre-cooler temperatures it will obviously be somewhat higher than post-cooler temps. How much would be tricky to figure out.
Can you add a second oil pressure sensor to the AIM? You might want to measure oil pressure at the standard location, too, using a "T" fitting so you can compare them. 42 Draft Designs makes an oil pressure splitter block that I have used for multiple sensor installs. Hmm, seems they don't make it anymore - too bad, it was a nice product.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 02:34 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
That looks like a really nice way to measure oil pressure before the engine. I see a pressure transducer there, is the other a temperature sensor?
If it is a temp sensor try to get the element sticking into the flow of oil. Your picture looks as if it may be recessed a bit, which will give lower readings if it's measuring a stagnant pocket of oil.
Remind me, is the oil cooler before or after the filter? If you're measuring pre-cooler temperatures it will obviously be somewhat higher than post-cooler temps. How much would be tricky to figure out.
Can you add a second oil pressure sensor to the AIM? You might want to measure oil pressure at the standard location, too, using a "T" fitting so you can compare them. 42 Draft Designs makes an oil pressure splitter block that I have used for multiple sensor installs. Hmm, seems they don't make it anymore - too bad, it was a nice product.
Correct, the 2nd sensor is temp, it is recessed in the housing after I threaded it in as far as I dared....

The filter is before the cooler. Measuring delta across the cooler would be nice, just not in the budget at the moment. I think it gives a pretty good basis for generating data in any case and should represent worst case scenario.

Adding another pressure sensor for the aim is possible. It would need to be mounted and I need a channel expansion to get another QTY 4 analog sensor inputs.

The housing I got is like a 45 dollar eBay special, I would have liked to use something higher quality and I looked for a while but could not find the 13/16-16 with 2 1/8 NPT from the established MFGs.

That said, I’m hoping it can be made to work.
Ratchet1025 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 02:43 PM
theprf
Race Car

If you want to modify the adapter fitting I can do that. I'd suggest that you bring as many pieces as possible - IE, the spin on adapter - so I can measure accurately. I probably have a longer piece of 13/16 threaded tube from one of my VW oil cooler installs. MOCAL sends a long and a short piece to fit different cars. The VW's might be 3/4? I can't quite remember now. Anyway your adapter can surely be modified to suit.
zbomb (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 03:20 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by theprf
If you want to modify the adapter fitting I can do that. I'd suggest that you bring as many pieces as possible - IE, the spin on adapter - so I can measure accurately. I probably have a longer piece of 13/16 threaded tube from one of my VW oil cooler installs. MOCAL sends a long and a short piece to fit different cars. The VW's might be 3/4? I can't quite remember now. Anyway your adapter can surely be modified to suit.
You’re damn right I want to Thanks a ton for offer to help!

I’ll get the LN adapter off tonight and can drop off everything involved to you tomorrow or whenever convenient.

Shoot me a PM with whatever works for you and I’ll make it work for me.
Ratchet1025 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 07:42 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Today was one of those days... Don't have the tools I need, Amazon shipments delayed, don't have the parts, oh yeah - and I am not a mechanic, so some things - especially where something needs to be created... take forever and sometimes after forever, come out like **** and have to be redone.

So... I failed to get the steering sensor mounted, what a bitch that job has turned out to be - the riv nut tool kit I bought doesn't come with M3 despite the fact I did buy M3 riv nuts, totally my oversight. No problem, do it the old fashioned way with a bolt and a washer...nope, rips the threads off the bolts. Ok... back to the drawing board after dinner on that front.

Oh yeah... the best part of the day - after laying in the footwell for a ridiculous amount of time vacillating on the least ****ty way to mount the string pot for the steering sensor...hmmm, that looks like the clutch may hit it when fully depressed - I should check before committing. Push the pedal down with my hand...TO THE FLOOR... ****.... The gearbox is out...and the inside of the slave is on my floor along with a bunch of brake fluid....great ! what a dunce.

So then, I decided to back it off a few notches and finish moving the horn button now that I have the Cup quick release with no horn provision mounted... that came out well. And I remounted the dash mount to a much more secure location, I can also see it better, so that's a win.

Still feeling mildly cranky about the fact I cannot seem to get the **** I need done...done a thought came into my head after seeing a message from a friend pop in my inbox.

I AM WICKED LUCKY

I have got support from some really great people that have made my life a lot easier than it would otherwise be, they have gone way, way out of their way to help me out and asked nothing in return. Some companies have answered my emails, texts or phone calls after hours or on the weekend, they've helped me out with advice or even getting me a new part out overnight when I broke something. I figured a small way I could show my appreciation for these folks...

My Hood of Fame...get it...Hood, like Hall....But its a hood....anyway.

Thank you to the people / companies listed, you'll finish every lap or get to every destination just a bit before I do. PS.. I have to request stickers from a couple more very deserving companies and I'll update as the Hood of Fame grows.

The following 7 users liked this post by zbomb:
Jnelso (02-14-2021), plpete84 (02-14-2021), Porschetech3 (02-15-2021), Ratchet1025 (02-14-2021), RC713 (04-19-2021), TheChunkNorris (02-14-2021), theprf (02-14-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2021, 01:08 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,452 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Man its nice to be reccognised, though i suspect thats for a different Aaron .
Old 02-15-2021, 11:56 AM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 429 Posts

Very cool credits board!

Keep up the good thinking and methodical work, it will absolutely pay off. Keep the Instant Gratification frustration bug at bay.

This year will be really cool with this car. The instant gratification problem I have is I want to see you get out and race this thing!

Here's my favorite pic: Racing with the fall colors in Massachusetts around you. Come on! How much better does it get?

The following 2 users liked this post by golock911:
Ratchet1025 (02-15-2021), TheChunkNorris (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 02:47 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by golock911
Very cool credits board!

Keep up the good thinking and methodical work, it will absolutely pay off. Keep the Instant Gratification frustration bug at bay.

This year will be really cool with this car. The instant gratification problem I have is I want to see you get out and race this thing!

Here's my favorite pic: Racing with the fall colors in Massachusetts around you. Come on! How much better does it get?
Thanks dude - really glad you're enjoying following along.

I like that pic a lot too ! here's one without the watermark for ya... That day was really fun and the track is something else.

The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
golock911 (02-16-2021), Ratchet1025 (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 04:30 PM
theprf
Race Car

Palmer is an amazing track.
I took this picture from the rocks above Turn 1 looking back towards the rest of the track. Watch zbomb's video to see these turns from in-car! On the rocks in the center of the picture are two layers of track. The middle layer is Turn 4 and the upper layer is Turn 10. Yes you change elevation about 150 feet from Turn 2 to Turn 4, then another 150 feet from Turn 5 to Turn 10, then 300 feet from Turn 10 to Turn 14 leading onto the "straight" which is actually the curved bit of track that's on the left of the picture.

The following 2 users liked this post by theprf:
Ratchet1025 (02-15-2021), zbomb (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 08:39 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Some redemption today...Lot of time lying upside down in the footwell paid off - when the smallest rivnut tool I could find shows up Wed (Please baby Jesus let Amazon not be delayed) I can crunch the 2 rivnuts in and be done with it. Thanks to my little guy Tyler for being my tool maid and making it so I only had to get out of position a couple times. Also, found an excuse to buy that right angle drill that worked pissah.

The sensor is mounted on the firewall. A section of non shrunk shrink tube goes around the steering shaft for a flat surface and the string of the string pot and the shrink tube are secured to the shaft with a hose clamp. Just looking at it - does not look like it should have taken nearly as long.

Ratchet1025 (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,623 Likes on 2,098 Posts

"string pot" I haven't seen those !! Nifty little idea for some electronics fab work....
Old 02-15-2021, 09:53 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
"string pot" I haven't seen those !! Nifty little idea for some electronics fab work....
Its a pretty cool little piece of kit. Could be used for suspension travel, TPS... All I know is mounting that little sucker in the footwell was a royal pain in the *** !
Old 02-16-2021, 04:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

did you get your sandwich plate issue resolved? I have a similar issue so curious if you got it fixed.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:49 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
did you get your sandwich plate issue resolved? I have a similar issue so curious if you got it fixed.

Not to resolution yet QC, but a path is there, turned out to be a little more involved to get the pieces working together than just cutting the adapter fitting down.

Once resolution has been achieved, I’ll let you know what it took to get there.

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996