996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 04:09 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,067 Posts

The Crankcase Ventalation System on the M96/7 is a sealed system ( sealed to Atmosphere) , any leak to Atmosphere would be considered a vacuum leak and would cause fuel trim issues. This is the reason the all the other attempts to "modify" the AOS system to correct the problems have failed for 20 years. The UAOS is the ONLY way to correct the problems AND keep the system sealed to Atmosphere and to keep it emission compliant.

The hm/XTDD is still sealed from Atmosphere so no vacuum leak , and yes, needs a continuaos downward ( or level) slope to the oil fill tube..

Old 08-05-2022, 08:44 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Question re included parts

Is there a list detailing parts included with the uoas? The LN site states
"UAOS for Porsche 911 996/997 models comes complete with Accumulator, Flow Regulator, all hoses, Microprocessor Controlled Infra-red Sensor , Plug-N-Play wiring, mounting hardware, fully assembled and pre-wired. a pre-sealed/modified "lifetime AOS" is included with each kit."

Does it come with all the parts in the FCP euro kit,, link below, for example? Or more? If so then the UAOS seems to be an easy decision.... Please let me know? Thanks!
​​​​​​ https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...enuine-porsche
Old 08-05-2022, 10:34 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damage98MO
Is there a list detailing parts included with the uoas? The LN site states
"UAOS for Porsche 911 996/997 models comes complete with Accumulator, Flow Regulator, all hoses, Microprocessor Controlled Infra-red Sensor , Plug-N-Play wiring, mounting hardware, fully assembled and pre-wired. a pre-sealed/modified "lifetime AOS" is included with each kit."

Does it come with all the parts in the FCP euro kit,, link below, for example? Or more? If so then the UAOS seems to be an easy decision.... Please let me know? Thanks!
​​​​​​ https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...enuine-porsche
Here is a picture of what is in a typical 996.2 UAOS kit plus an aluminum change-over valve relocation bracket, screws and a tamper-proof T27 bit for installation.

Plus the kit comes with a coolant by-pass kit that eliminates all these parts/hoses. But the UAOS kit's do NOT include part #4 and #6 , everything else the diagram is either included or eliminated ...

The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:45 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Here is a picture of what is in a typical 996.2 UAOS kit plus an aluminum change-over valve relocation bracket, screws and a tamper-proof T27 bit for installation.

Plus the kit comes with a coolant by-pass kit that eliminates all these parts/hoses. But the UAOS kit's do NOT include part #4 and #6 , everything else the diagram is either included or eliminated ...

Thank you, very helpful! I'll talk to my Indy on Monday, he's doing some other stuff for me this week.
Porschetech3 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 12:35 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I would also get a couple of containers of elbow grease.
The following 2 users liked this post by az968gpw:
damage98MO (08-06-2022), Porschetech3 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 09:44 AM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by az968gpw
I would also get a couple of containers of elbow grease.
I don't have a garage and live in a townhome. Plus I'm lacking in tools, strength, and most importantly, skills. So, I am blessed to have a superb Indy literally 1 mile away, Talin runs Import Performance here in Wilmington, and has mad skills. His work so far done on my car, and all cars he wrenches, afaik is superlative. He guarantees his work for 3 years and 36k miles, his hourly rate is very reasonable, at the low end of what you might expect, and he does not mark up parts like I've heard some do. Plus his skills mean less hours. The guy is a gem. Thank you Indy mechanics! It would be great if I had a garage, lift, and a second car so I can take my time and make mistakes, but all in all I'm happy with my situation. Don't get me wrong, I've done some stuff, painted my wheels, installed my new speakers and pccm plus, FF shift right, and some other little things, and I'll do more as time allows. Retirement is not far off, and I'm going to retire in small town Nova Scotia. I'm planning on extending the old coach house and installing a lift, and I'll have plenty of time to work on things then.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:46 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

@Porschetech3 Couple of questions for you Skip.
  1. Besides the sensor, how this is any different than a typical catch can that a lot of the Spec E46 guys use? It's a recirculating design with improved separation capabilities that you can open a valve and drain any excess oil that is collected back into the sump. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ch-can-system/
  2. What is the highest number of miles that you have on a "lifetime" AOS and what basis are you using for this claim?
  3. If you are bypassing the coolant lines and adding a separator, why didn't you just delete the stock AOS form factor at the point? It doesn't seem like an efficient design.
  4. There are plenty of race shops, racers, and builders that use the stock AOS without issue. What data do you have that this is actually a problem and not just a chance to profit through spreading fear? (which is a very effective tactic I might add).
Old 08-06-2022, 12:34 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
  1. There are plenty of race shops, racers, and builders that use the stock AOS without issue. What data do you have that this is actually a problem and not just a chance to profit through spreading fear? (which is a very effective tactic I might add).
I'll speak to my experience with your question number 4. The data I have to share that is pertinent would be found in the oil pressure thread, this specifically addresses the additional oil capacity I have run with the addition of the drain back to my UAOS system.

Anecdotally, The AOS was replaced on my car days before I picked it up with a factory unit by Orbit Racing in FL. I drove the car on the street for a year and the following year started doing track days. Working off memory, but I'm sure can be validated by going through my posts on here, I started seeing plumes of smoke on startup between each session. I pulled the plenum off and saw oil pooled in the depressions in the intake manifold. I ran with the factory setup like this, lowering the oil fill level to try to accommodate until I did not feel it safe to lower any further, the issue persisted.

I replaced the factory part with the UAOS and saw an immediate cessation of the oil plumes on startup, now relegated to only on occasion, likely the first start up after the car had sat after a track day. Fast forward, literally - the car is getting faster and I start seeing that i am filling the reservoir up, it got to the point where this was happening every session. It got to the point where I added an additional external reservoir to catch oil that would drain out of the primary UAOS reservoir. The oil volume being caught was frightening. Again, details of this are in my thread, so feel free to check it out as I can't remember the specifics off hand.

This is when Skip offered the drain back, he was kind enough to send me one of the first made to install for free and I replaced my reservoir into reservoir setup. Since that time, A puff of smoke from the intake is rare, although it does still happen from time to time. The major benefits I have seen from the part SINCE the drain back has been introduced are listed below:

Oil consumption, my consumption is 1/8QT per session and it does not change.
Oil capacity, This season I have been running 11.75QTS - there has been, and can be validated, a measurable improvement in oil pressure stability as a result of this change only. I had got down to 10QTS (working off memory) previously in attempt to keep oil out of intake.
Frustration, I battled keeping oil out of the intake / managing oil level problems for 2 seasons, I was done with it and without the drain back, there is no way the M96 would be in the car.

These issues may be specific to my car, but I hope they shed some light on my use case.

Last edited by zbomb; 08-06-2022 at 12:36 PM. Reason: grammar
The following 5 users liked this post by zbomb:
damage98MO (08-06-2022), golock911 (08-06-2022), plpete84 (08-08-2022), Porschetech3 (08-06-2022), Slakker (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 12:57 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 391 Posts

I will echo @zbomb experience. Was on the back straight at Watkins last year and saw a huge plume. Lots of oil in the intake.
Also we know through skip that the 996.1 has a shorter dipstick and the Mk2 was lengthened to try to alleviate these occurrences. With the UAOS we all get to run extra oil.

I have zero oil consumption and run the same 11.75 qts.
The following 4 users liked this post by hbdunn:
golock911 (08-06-2022), JohnCA58 (08-06-2022), plpete84 (08-08-2022), Porschetech3 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 01:53 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 651 Posts

I'm not as intensely well versed in this as some are, so please excuse this question if it's obvious: is the 11.75 quart figure on a stock sump, or one of the deep sumps, and if so which?
Old 08-06-2022, 01:59 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
I'm not as intensely well versed in this as some are, so please excuse this question if it's obvious: is the 11.75 quart figure on a stock sump, or one of the deep sumps, and if so which?
LN 2QT deep sump for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Porschetech3 (08-06-2022), wdb (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 02:06 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 964 Posts

Guys if you don’t like the product just don’t buy it
I think uaos has enough buyers and time under use to show if works or not
and judging by skips diligence I trusted him enough to buy the uids blindly
I was his first paid customer I haven’t installed it yet it will part of a solution/clutch replacement in the near future
again it’s always buyer beware!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by EVOMMM:
damage98MO (08-06-2022), Porschetech3 (08-06-2022), Sam-Son (08-09-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 05:27 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 253 Posts

The UAOS is a simple, elegant solution to a poor design. Any sort of diaphragm like this will eventually fail, Skip’s design makes it a 10 min job to replace, instead of a truly miserable job. I’ve put one of his very early DIY ones in my car, as well as the newer complete kit in another car. Kit is nice and evolved since my very early one. On top of that, Skip is one of the most experienced and truly helpful people on this forum.
The following 8 users liked this post by JTT:
501Max (08-06-2022), damage98MO (08-06-2022), dporto (08-07-2022), EVOMMM (08-07-2022), GC996 (08-07-2022), JohnCA58 (08-07-2022), Porschetech3 (08-06-2022), wildbilly32 (08-06-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-06-2022, 06:03 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
@Porschetech3 Couple of questions for you Skip.
  1. Besides the sensor, how this is any different than a typical catch can that a lot of the Spec E46 guys use? It's a recirculating design with improved separation capabilities that you can open a valve and drain any excess oil that is collected back into the sump. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ch-can-system/
  2. What is the highest number of miles that you have on a "lifetime" AOS and what basis are you using for this claim?
  3. If you are bypassing the coolant lines and adding a separator, why didn't you just delete the stock AOS form factor at the point? It doesn't seem like an efficient design.
  4. There are plenty of race shops, racers, and builders that use the stock AOS without issue. What data do you have that this is actually a problem and not just a chance to profit through spreading fear? (which is a very effective tactic I might add).
@Slakker Since the Patent on UAOS has recently been issued May 10, 2022 (but was filed Dec 29, 2019 ....18 months ago) I will walk you through the design beginning to end in a simplistic over-view ( there is much more detail and physics in the design than can be explained in a single post) Yes it can get very complicated depending on how deep you dive into it...

To start the UAOS takes the AOS and modifies it so the the bulk of oil never even gets into it to begin with, then the atmospheric port in the AOS is sealed from atmosphere which disables the "diaphragm" flow control that is 95% of the failing mode in the Factory AOS and MAOS, then uses a custom made breather hose from AOS to Accumulator, Accumulator is a special design internal and exteral to fit the engine compartment and acts as a secondary AOS. The Accumlator has Infra-red Optical Microprocessor Sensor to detect unsafe levels of accumulation and a custom plug-n-play wiring harness that just plugs into the factory harness and "slow blinks" the coolant warning light on the dash if there is any problem.The drain on the Accumulator for Track Version has a continuous drain that drains to the adjacent "oil fill tube" so that all oil stays in the engine/sump and not in the "AOS system".. Custom hose then comes from the Accumulator to the "flow regulator/diaphragm " mounted in an easy access location that can literally be replaced in minutes.. Then from the flow regulator/diaphragm to the intake through another custom hose with OEM Norma V2 quick connector. And since the flow control diaphragm is moved to an easier location to access that also much warmer, the coolant system that is the other 5% of the failures mode is no longer needed and is caped/by-passed elimination may failure points and unnecessary parts..

Part of the beauty of the UAOS is it "looks" like a OEM system with just a simple "catch can", but is WAY WAY more. All for a merely $710usd, ( but is fixing to go up due to every thing that goes into it has/is going up)..

Now to beat up on your $350 BMW "catch can"..1.It is just a "universal catch can" 2.it will fit in the space limited engine compartment of a Porsche like a "wart on a frog"3.none of the hoses are OEM Norma V2 compatable..4 . it does not drain back to the Sump..5 .it doesn't address the problem of oil getting into the system to begin with 6. It doesn't have a Sensor or wiring harness 7 It does nothing to address the problem of the AOS diaphragm failing so often 8.It does nothing to address the difficultly in replacing the "diaphragm" of the flow control 9. I think $350usd is over-priced for that "thing"...

Now to answer your 4 questions ..
  1. Question :::Besides the sensor, how this is any different than a typical catch can that a lot of the Spec E46 guys use? It's a recirculating design with improved separation capabilities that you can open a valve and drain any excess oil that is collected back into the sump. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ch-can-system/
Answer ::that was covered above, and to be clear the re-circulation mentioned in the "Catch Can Add" was referring to re-circulation of the gasses for emission compliance ( closed system), not oil re-circulation to the Sump., they just mentioned it could be drained without "removing"...

2.Question ;;What is the highest number of miles that you have on a "lifetime" AOS and what basis are you using for this claim?

Answer :: This is based on laboratory tests on PA66/GF35 ( polyamide ( Nylon) 66 with 35% glass filled) , which is the materail that the AOS is made from ,tests were performed under continuous high temperature and extremely high pressures and concluded that life expectancy of the material under those circumstances was 37-45 years.Under Automotive use would easily be double that and would be considered a "Lifetime" and is why I put a "Lifetime" Warranty on the AOS that is included in UAOS, because it uses the body material ONLY. It makes a good way to connect the hoses to the engine..

3.Question ;;If you are bypassing the coolant lines and adding a separator, why didn't you just delete the stock AOS form factor at the point? It doesn't seem like an efficient design.

Answer :: Because using the oem AOS in the modified form IS efficient. Building a Billet Aluminum replacement, or an injection molded replacement in PA66/GF35.is NOT efficient and would raise the cost significantly and unnecessarily, and building a 3D printed one would not be as durable or "Lifetime".. The oem aos makes a good place to connect the hoses and it still does a more efficient job after modified.And still "looks' OEM..

4.Question;;There are plenty of race shops, racers, and builders that use the stock AOS without issue. What data do you have that this is actually a problem and not just a chance to profit through spreading fear? (which is a very effective tactic I might add).

Answer :: You yourself have already stated that you "proactively" replaced your AOS every 100 hours/5k miles ( which is ridiculous to have to do when it cost $600-to $800 just labor to replace AOS once ) so you are well aware of the failures. Most knowledgeable Porsche shops recommend replacing OEM AOS every 3 years so they are aware also..and Zbomb and hdunn have already gave there testimony and many others have also. Thousands of post here to confirm this.

The Factory AOS problem is actually worse than most people think. Many engines are destroyed that the cause is never known because oil is everywhere and is expected to be every where when an engine is destroyed and AOS is not suspected. But many HAVE been verified as AOS failure causing bent/broken rods, cracked cylinders. ect..Yes I have replaced m96 engines under Factory Porsche Warranty due to AOS failure causing hydrolock. Any engine that has had a catastrophic failure of a rod,piston, or cylinder, if the big end of the rod/bearing has not turned "blue" from lack of lubrication, the AOS need to be suspected and tested for cause of failure...Send it to me, I can bench test to confirm if it caused the failure or not..

@Slakker I know your "trolling" me, but I felt like answering you anyway on AOS. But don't "troll" me anymore plenty of info can be found on what I have said in this thread or this one https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t=Ultimate+AOS read them untill you have changed your mind on UAOS.." the mind is the hardest thing to change" and yours may be impossible..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 08-06-2022 at 08:50 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
damage98MO (08-06-2022), GC996 (08-07-2022), JohnCA58 (08-07-2022), plpete84 (08-08-2022), Slakker (08-07-2022), wildbilly32 (08-07-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-06-2022, 06:23 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTT
The UAOS is a simple, elegant solution to a poor design. Any sort of diaphragm like this will eventually fail, Skip’s design makes it a 10 min job to replace, instead of a truly miserable job. I’ve put one of his very early DIY ones in my car, as well as the newer complete kit in another car. Kit is nice and evolved since my very early one. On top of that, Skip is one of the most experienced and truly helpful people on this forum.
Thanks very much Joe !!

That's what makes for a great design...It's very simple to understand and use and robust yet ,down deep it is very complicated.

Porsche has many such things on them that are that-away, I called them layered technology... Very simple and user friendly to understand the technology on the top layer, but very very complex.on the second layer technology, some even have a third layer that gets back to a more simple version.

For example the engine computer, you have diagnostics on the OBDII level with more simple versions, then you have PIWIS level, that gets really deep into programming and coding, and actual values, special functions, then you Factory Special equipment level ..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 08-06-2022 at 06:25 PM.
damage98MO (08-06-2022)

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks