Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 08:01 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
If we are all in agreement that this class action lawsuit is bs, then let's get together and opt out of it. I don't know what is the threshold for a class action, but if nobody joins, then there is no lawsuit

I am sure the owner and lawyers who are reading this forum may have a heart attack now

I think they've already lined up 100 "victims".

Last edited by Porschejam; 12-06-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:37 PM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschejam
I think they've already lined up 100 "victims".
Expecting a full refund for my 2013 SC and checked the local dealer for 992 inventory this past week. Can’t wait...victim
The following users liked this post:
Porschejam (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 11:40 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by My991
Expecting a full refund for my 2013 SC and checked the local dealer for 992 inventory this past week. Can’t wait...victim
That sounds very unlikely.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:46 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
If we are all in agreement that this class action lawsuit is bs, then let's get together and opt out of it. I don't know what is the threshold for a class action, but if nobody joins, then there is no lawsuit

I am sure the owner and lawyers who are reading this forum may have a heart attack now
*IF* this is about cheating the feds then a class action lawsuit by a bunch of pissed owners is irrelevant as they (Porsche) will take a whipping anyway.

Anyway, none of us actually know what this is about, just a bunch of guessing..........
The following 2 users liked this post by spiderv6:
Davesrave (12-07-2020), PJK3 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:08 AM
chipmunkchan
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gwporsche
I have recently smogged my 991.1S with SC (stock) in CA, passed with no issues.
Same. Passed without any issues.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:35 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueShell
That sounds very unlikely.
Yup. Per dieselgate, you'll end up with some low five figure and a "fixed" car
Old 12-07-2020, 01:45 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

I was at Porsche of Colorado Springs yesterday and asked their sales manager about this. He doesn't know any specifics, but he told me two things....

1. They are still taking stop-sale affected cars on trade-in
2. They cannot wholesale them or trade them to other dealers

I asked about wholesale and dealer trades, because I know they've traded cars to and from Denver area dealers like Mike Ward McLaren. Apparently that is off limits according to Porsche for the time being as well.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by My991

Waiter, I'll have what he's having.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschejam:
BlueShell (12-07-2020), uphoto (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:58 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

I heard they are going to install one of these on the rear of our cars, re-engineered to filter out the particulates pre-exhaust. ;-)

The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:09 AM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Gentlemen, when you complete a smog check the machine checks the idle speed. When you are in sport and sport + your idle speed increases. This is a clear violation and you are altering a smog device. Plus in sport and sport plus your temperatures are lower which plays a role in the air fuel mixer of the vehicle. Another violation of smog checks.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:40 PM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Gentlemen, when you complete a smog check the machine checks the idle speed. When you are in sport and sport + your idle speed increases. This is a clear violation and you are altering a smog device. Plus in sport and sport plus your temperatures are lower which plays a role in the air fuel mixer of the vehicle. Another violation of smog checks.
True but the whole idea behind that was to prepare the car for hard driving not to warm the planet. I mean honestly, how many cars is this going to effect?? Does it have to be the fix for all this is something that will downgrade the performance of our cars?

Mercedes and BMW have sport and sport plus in their cars why isnt there a class action suit on those makes as well??
Old 12-07-2020, 12:44 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Non SC cars have the Sport mode so presumably the issue is only with the Sport +
Old 12-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 130 Posts

No, it's not a violation. In order to sell cars with Sport Chrono in the US, Porsche certified that its new vehicles also met applicable emission limits (as it must) in sport and sport + modes. That's how other makers like Subaru and Mercedes have similar performance settings that the driver can switch on and off. At issue here is whether Porsche falsely certified that emission limits were met in all operating modes.

Illegal alteration of a smog device - tampering - is different. It involves after-sale messing with the OEM setup, not using it. Removing the cats or reprogramming the computer for higher performance are typical examples of tampering. Technically, even switching to a non-OEM approved diameter tire can be tampering since it could increase the grams of pollution per mile that a car puts out.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:56 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Southbranch
The states that enforce auto emissions standards as a condition of licensing typically have less stringent limits than those that applied to the vehicles when they were manufactured, so it certainly is possible that a car could leave the factory violating the new car emission rules but still pass a state smog test. Also, the older the vehicle, the more tolerance is built into the smog test standard because vehicles tend to pollute more as they accumulate miles. In other words, a 2013 model is not held to the same standards as a 2021 model, and it is not even held to the same standard that it was supposed to meet when new.
I can't believe that any state's emissions test would test the vehicle in Sport+ mode, so certainly the cars could pass if being tested in normal mode. Seems like most of the discussion is centered around Sport+ mode Porsche emissions certification testing.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:39 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Southbranch
No, it's not a violation. In order to sell cars with Sport Chrono in the US, Porsche certified that its new vehicles also met applicable emission limits (as it must) in sport and sport + modes. That's how other makers like Subaru and Mercedes have similar performance settings that the driver can switch on and off. At issue here is whether Porsche falsely certified that emission limits were met in all operating modes.

Illegal alteration of a smog device - tampering - is different. It involves after-sale messing with the OEM setup, not using it. Removing the cats or reprogramming the computer for higher performance are typical examples of tampering. Technically, even switching to a non-OEM approved diameter tire can be tampering since it could increase the grams of pollution per mile that a car puts out.
So you're saying someone removed a smog device from the 911 during the official smog test? Isn't that what sport and sport + do? Higher idle speed, lower coolant temps, more fuel being dumped into the cylinders. That all effects the "smog" being produced by the vehicle. If this stop sale campaign is larger than just sport chrono than so be it. Germany is notorious for avoiding any corporate responsibility. Mercedes has avoided so many dangerous recalls. Porsche isn't any different.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?