Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 01:10 PM
Motorist911
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueShell
Is it too soon for that?
I literally just got an email to this effect. Nothing about the stop sale campaign, but a general “we’re interested in buying your vehicle.”
Old 12-08-2020, 01:24 PM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorist911
I literally just got an email to this effect. Nothing about the stop sale campaign, but a general “we’re interested in buying your vehicle.”
Same here, at first I thought it may be a coincidence but after thinking about it the feeling is they know what I have so maybe not.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:29 PM
marcnyc
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I got 1 or 2 emails like this over the summer and thought it was because of low inventory and high demand.

On the original question, I may have missed it in the 400+ posts but I still don't understand what it is that SC does differently with regards to emissions, especially on cars with manual transmission...
Old 12-08-2020, 01:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Very common practice, and NOT just by Porsche. This has nothing to do with the SSO.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
Dom991.1 (02-03-2021), shammerman (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 02:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by marcnyc
On the original question, I may have missed it in the 400+ posts but I still don't understand what it is that SC does differently with regards to emissions, especially on cars with manual transmission...
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1222...l#post17031563

If you ignore my foaming at the mouth here ——^ therein lies a summary of the answer.

A summary from another angle is that all modern cars control, to a fair-thee-well, the air fuel ratio to a degree that, prior to computer controlled everything, was impossible but are now required to make emissions numbers. However, consequences of that is poor throttle response, inability to rev match downshifts, and ‘deterrents to accelerating’ in the mapping between foot and throttle plate. Thus, enabling any car to exhibit the characteristics that we associate with sports cars ipso facto increases emissions minutely during testing and somewhat less minutely when we, sport car drivers, make use of those characteristics. Under any circumstances hard acceleration will “blow the test” and, for turbocharged cars, any use of the engine under boost blows the test even more so. Keep in mind that government testing is not just a sniffer at idle. It involves varying loads and varying speeds to simulate ‘round town and highway use. In today’s emissions testing environment acceleration must be frustratingly gentle in order to make numbers,

For PDK, emissions are reduced by enforcing a strategy of gear changes that keep the engine at a speed as close as possible to it’s lowest specific fuel consumption. (SFC is fuel-mass/hp units.) With modern computer control of direct injection engines that point is ~1200 rpm(-ish). But, there’s no torque available there. To “feel sporty” you want engine speed closer to torque (higher.) So you change the shift strategy of the PDK in S/S+ mode to keep engine speed higher. And thereby “blow” the emissions test.

Realize that a ‘user-controlled’ throttle pedal is thus an emissions cheating device.

Engine temperature also plays a role. 220(-ish)°F engine temperature results in a different mix of pollutants than does 195°. However, modern catalytic converters can clean the former, not the latter. The problem, of course, with 220°F temperature is that you’re already relying on the coolant to keep the engine from exploding so you don’t have a lot of margin for horsepower production in excess of capacity to cool. And cooling capacity doesn’t change instantly.

Some people seem to think that EPA/EU testing is about keeping horrible polluting cars - like early 70s era V8s with no cats - off the road. It stopped being about that a decade ago when cars, warmed up, driving at a steady speed exhausted air that was cleaner that what was being ingested. After that, increasing the stringency of tests started becoming political. When a system like automatic stop/start is required to make numbers you have to ask if “things have go too far.”

Last edited by worf928; 12-08-2020 at 03:14 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by worf928:
Class5Kayaker (12-14-2020), fluguy (12-09-2020), jfischet (12-09-2020), Papa Fittig (03-07-2021), PJK3 (12-09-2020), Raza (12-10-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2020, 02:50 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by My991
Same here, at first I thought it may be a coincidence but after thinking about it the feeling is they know what I have so maybe not.
I think this is just standard practice for up-sell opportunities by dealerships. Unless they are offering you significantly more value than the market, I'd doubt it's correlated to this stop sale campaign.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:30 PM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueShell
I think this is just standard practice for up-sell opportunities by dealerships. Unless they are offering you significantly more value than the market, I'd doubt it's correlated to this stop sale campaign.
I’m not expecting much but going to find out first hand and maybe get some more details.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:10 PM
marcnyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by worf928
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1222...l#post17031563

If you ignore my foaming at the mouth here ——^ therein lies a summary of the answer.

A summary from another angle is that all modern cars control, to a fair-thee-well, the air fuel ratio to a degree that, prior to computer controlled everything, was impossible but are now required to make emissions numbers. However, consequences of that is poor throttle response, inability to rev match downshifts, and ‘deterrents to accelerating’ in the mapping between foot and throttle plate. Thus, enabling any car to exhibit the characteristics that we associate with sports cars ipso facto increases emissions minutely during testing and somewhat less minutely when we, sport car drivers, make use of those characteristics. Under any circumstances hard acceleration will “blow the test” and, for turbocharged cars, any use of the engine under boost blows the test even more so. Keep in mind that government testing is not just a sniffer at idle. It involves varying loads and varying speeds to simulate ‘round town and highway use. In today’s emissions testing environment acceleration must be frustratingly gentle in order to make numbers,

For PDK, emissions are reduced by enforcing a strategy of gear changes that keep the engine at a speed as close as possible to it’s lowest specific fuel consumption. (SFC is fuel-mass/hp units.) With modern computer control of direct injection engines that point is ~1200 rpm(-ish). But, there’s no torque available there. To “feel sporty” you want engine speed closer to torque (higher.) So you change the shift strategy of the PDK in S/S+ mode to keep engine speed higher. And thereby “blow” the emissions test.

Realize that a ‘user-controlled’ throttle pedal is thus an emissions cheating device.

Engine temperature also plays a role. 220(-ish)°F engine temperature results in a different mix of pollutants than does 195°. However, modern catalytic converters can clean the former, not the latter. The problem, of course, with 220°F temperature is that you’re already relying on the coolant to keep the engine from exploding so you don’t have a lot of margin for horsepower production in excess of capacity to cool. And cooling capacity doesn’t change instantly.

Some people seem to think that EPA/EU testing is about keeping horrible polluting cars - like early 70s era V8s with no cats - off the road. It stopped being about that a decade ago when cars, warmed up, driving at a steady speed exhausted air that was cleaner that what was being ingested. After that, increasing the stringency of tests started becoming political. When a system like automatic stop/start is required to make numbers you have to ask if “things have go too far.”
Interesting, thank you.
Still wonder why MT are impacted like PDK cars in this, given that a big component of the S/S+ modes only works on PDK cars (the shift at higher RPMs, which you explain above).
Old 12-08-2020, 06:55 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marcnyc
Interesting, thank you.
Still wonder why MT are impacted like PDK cars in this, given that a big component of the S/S+ modes only works on PDK cars (the shift at higher RPMs, which you explain above).
Idle speed and pedal to throttle plate mapping.

There is an ‘upshift’ light on MT cars the activation of which may be affected by mode. I’ve never cared to observe if that is true.

Note that the inherent “issues” with S/S+ modes may be a non-issue vis-a-vis the EU investigations and the US CA lawsuit if indeed Porsche actually made hw/sw changes to vehicles to be tested. When Dieselgate hit I disbelieved that any corporation could be stupid enough to actively, with malice aforethought, cheat on emissions testing. I was wrong. At this point, for me, it’s a case of “hear all, believe nothing.”
Old 12-08-2020, 07:20 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

So, are we to believe that the testers were blind to the fact that Sport/Sport Plus even existed? Hard to comprehend how someone could rigorously test a new vehicle and not be aware of the entire operating range.

Then again, we are, in fact, talking about the gubmint.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:40 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfan
So, are we to believe that the testers were blind to the fact that Sport/Sport Plus even existed? Hard to comprehend how someone could rigorously test a new vehicle and not be aware of the entire operating range.
No. What we are to believe is that there is a test protocol which is mandated by regulation and followed to the letter by the testing agency. These are not tests conducted by monkeys randomly punching buttons and pressing pedals.

What I do not know is if EU/EPA/CARB regulations require the test protocol be conducted for any non-default driving mode. I would bet against this.

For instance, AS/S went from defaulting to last-used mode to always on at startup due to testing regulations, For the same reason, normal is the default mode upon startup and Sport/Sport+ have - at least for 9[98]1 - always defaulted to off at startup.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:42 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfan
Hard to comprehend how someone could rigorously test a new vehicle and not be aware of the entire operating range.
Your assumption that the “entire operating range” is subject to testing is incorrect.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTP-75
The following users liked this post:
jfischet (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 09:02 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

I guess my question is, what is the purpose of the test protocol if everything is basically out the window with the simple push of a button? I can see it now: (test official): "Congratulations Porsche, your model 991 passed with flying colors. One quick question though, what is the function of the console buttons labeled "Sport" and "Sport Plus"? (Porsche official): "So sorry. That is Porsche proprietary information."
Old 12-09-2020, 12:03 AM
marcnyc
Instructor

But then a lot of other models and brands would have the same issues...

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?