Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 02:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Gentlemen, when you complete a smog check the machine checks the idle speed. When you are in sport and sport + your idle speed increases. This is a clear violation and you are altering a smog device. Plus in sport and sport plus your temperatures are lower which plays a role in the air fuel mixer of the vehicle. Another violation of smog checks.
^ Suspect this post may be the one that ages best, or is at least pointing down the right road. Question is whether Sport+ does more than Sport, and whether Sport mode is the same regardless of whether a car is optioned with Sport Chrono?

I noticed that my old Fiat Abarth run pretty herky-jerky in the morning for the first few hundred feet, even down hill or on flat ground. Curiously, selecting Sport mode smoothed everything out. Sort of like a modern choke. I did it every time the car misbehaved when cold. My guess was it richened the mixture, but who knows. If it's something like this, a fix probably wouldn't be end of world…we need to see more cards. "My car doesn't perform to its maximum when the engine oil is cold" wouldn't decrease value for me.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:40 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 2-Rotor
True but the whole idea behind that was to prepare the car for hard driving not to warm the planet. I mean honestly, how many cars is this going to effect?? Does it have to be the fix for all this is something that will downgrade the performance of our cars?

Mercedes and BMW have sport and sport plus in their cars why isnt there a class action suit on those makes as well??
They probably don't add 50hp like our porsches.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:06 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 133 Posts

So you're saying someone removed a smog device from the 911 during the official smog test? Isn't that what sport and sport + do? Higher idle speed, lower coolant temps, more fuel being dumped into the cylinders. That all effects the "smog" being produced by the vehicle. If this stop sale campaign is larger than just sport chrono than so be it. Germany is notorious for avoiding any corporate responsibility. Mercedes has avoided so many dangerous recalls. Porsche isn't any different.
Not during the test - after it. News articles linked by other in this thread indicate that Porsche may have changed the transmission gearing in the vehicles it sold compared to what it previously reported to the government when it certified compliance with new motor vehicle standards. Porsche may also have made some other, more subtle changes to make its Sport Chrono production cars perform better than the Sport Chrono vehicles it used for official certification. Sport and Sport+ modes would be perfectly legal as long as Porsche honestly certified them as being in compliance with new car pollution rules. The big question being investigated is whether that actually happened.

Last edited by Southbranch; 12-07-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:16 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Southbranch
Not during the test - after it. News articles linked by other in this thread indicate that Porsche may have changed the transmission gearing in the vehicles it sold compared to what it previously reported to the government when it certified compliance with new motor vehicle standards. Porsche may also have made some other, more subtle changes to make its Sport Chrono production cars perform better than the Sport Chrono vehicles it used for official certification. Sport and Sport+ modes would be perfectly legal as long as Porsche honestly certified them as being in compliance with new car pollution rules. The big question being investigated is whether that actually happened.
This sounds more plausible of what may have happened, given my own experience of what the corporate culture of VW was during that period (which includes the development of the Diesel engines).

Last edited by visitador; 12-07-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:15 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Gentlemen, when you complete a smog check the machine checks the idle speed. When you are in sport and sport + your idle speed increases. This is a clear violation and you are altering a smog device. Plus in sport and sport plus your temperatures are lower which plays a role in the air fuel mixer of the vehicle. Another violation of smog checks.
So wouldn’t that effect every car with SC? I’m confused as to how this is only effecting specific model years.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:28 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

To further add to the confusion, my service advisor told me that not all 991.1’s are affected, only those found on a specific vin list. Mine (2016 991.1S with SC) is not on the list and is unaffected according to her. This makes no sense. PNA wouldn’t give out any information at all when I called them.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:53 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
To further add to the confusion, my service advisor told me that not all 991.1’s are affected, only those found on a specific vin list. Mine (2016 991.1S with SC) is not on the list and is unaffected according to her. This makes no sense. PNA wouldn’t give out any information at all when I called them.

Why would yours be affected in any way, as it's not a car for sale from a Porsche dealership.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:49 PM
D1coach
Racer

Originally Posted by Porschejam
Why would yours be affected in any way, as it's not a car for sale from a Porsche dealership.
SA represented that a master list of vins exists that fall within the purview of the stop sale, I suppose so they could identify cars they had in inventory or would be potential trade ins. The idea is not believable to me at this point but just reporting what I was told. Hope that clears it up.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:56 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Originally Posted by D1coach
SA represented that a master list of vins exists that fall within the purview of the stop sale, I suppose so they could identify cars they had in inventory or would be potential trade ins. The idea is not believable to me at this point but just reporting what I was told. Hope that clears it up.
The Stop Sale order that Porsche sent to each dealer included a list of the VINs of the affected used cars that the dealer had in its inventory. Perhaps that is the VIN list your dealer was referring to.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:18 PM
D1coach
Racer

The Stop Sale order that Porsche sent to each dealer included a list of the VINs of the affected used cars that the dealer had in its inventory. Perhaps that is the VIN list your dealer was referring to.
That sounds more reasonable. Thanks
Old 12-07-2020, 08:41 PM
acwild70
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Does that include all previous CPO cars ran through the dealership?

Jay
Old 12-07-2020, 08:53 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Ladies & Gents, you are fretting about nothing. Declare your cars autonomous zones and your home free.

All kidding aside, how the hell could a GT3 not be included. The GT3 only has two settings, Normal and Sport. My normal mode is about equivalent to Sport + on a Carrera (S) SC, my Sport is another world all together. This is all very interesting and does not make much sense to me.
The following users liked this post:
marcnyc (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:08 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Originally Posted by acwild70
Does that include all previous CPO cars ran through the dealership?

Jay
No. Those cars have already been sold and delivered, so it wouldn't make sense to list them in a Stop Sale order. However, the order is prospective: It says that all additional used vehicles added to inventory that meet the description are also subject to the hold until further notice.
Edit: See post #211 above by 981KMAN for a PDF of the stop sale order.

Last edited by Southbranch; 12-07-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:51 PM
My991
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Anybody getting offers from P to buy your 991.1 SC back direct?
The following 2 users liked this post by My991:
BlueShell (12-08-2020), dd356 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 12:58 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by My991
Anybody getting offers from P to buy your 991.1 SC back direct?
Is it too soon for that?

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?