Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

The drama is real. Take a deep breath folks.
Spend too much time on Rennlist and 30K over is starting to make sense. I recommend yoga.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 85 Posts

lol@free healthcare. Nothing is free
Old 04-03-2017, 07:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The drama is real. Take a deep breath folks.
Spend too much time on Rennlist and 30K over is starting to make sense. I recommend yoga.
Totally agree. Rennlist is partly to blame for the 'acceptance' of greedy dealers
Old 04-03-2017, 07:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Totally agree. Rennlist is partly to blame for the 'acceptance' of greedy dealers
Yes, most of the guys out there paying over MSRP to have the hottest car never look at or care about Rennlist. They're just buying latest/greatest and have little loyalty to any brand.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
I understand your concern, but unfortunately there isn't a solution to this. I know every time a new GT model comes out, people will try to speculate and argue over the same thing again. The only way to really solve the problem is if Porsche double or triples the GT car production, or Porsche raises the MSRP by 50-70k$.

I would love to buy a limited Ferrari like F12 TDF, Speciale, LaFerrari even tho I've put my name and deposit down 10 years ago. I would love to go see Mayweather's boxing match floor seats at MSRP $1000 since I've put myself on a list instead of $5000. I would love to buy Romanee Conti current release Burgundy at MSRP instead of 13k$ per bottle. I also wanted to own a part of snapchat at their IPO at snapchat's and bank's suggested IPO market price. Unfortunately I also got denied for these lists even if I put myself on a list. Its really happening in many different industries. Like you, I love those brands and the product they provide and only want to pay MSRP but market forces prevail.

Lets say if PCNA sends a decree that all dealers cannot sell any car over MSRP, then a few things would happen. In the case if dealers don't take a physical list, there will still be a list. There's always a list because a dealer is not going to get 50 cars in half year, but more like 2-6 cars, and I am sure the GM or GSM of a dealer can at least remember 2-6 important people in their heads, whether consciously or unconsciously. So when the car comes, they will literally just pick and choose 2-6 people that they want to sell to. If a dealer does take a list and Porsche also says you have to go down the list in order, then the list will be crazy. If I know the next 911R 10 years from now they are going to make only 911 units, I would put a deposit now, especially since its refundable. What you'll end up getting is the more wealthy people can literally put 15k deposit on every single GT car for the next 30 years. Why not? If I had the money I would. You'll be 40-100 people on every list for cars 5-10 years out. Only the people who can afford to put deposits for 5-10 years on multiple cars will end up getting them. The market will prevail because doesn't matter who buys it at MSRP, there will always be people who be willing to pay over, since you can't pay over, the used car prices of cars "brand new" will be over sticker, so why would you not guarantee a spot 5 years from now that'll be worth 50-70k over MSRP. Sure some cars will be worth only 10-20k more, but it'll be worth more regardless.

Some people are luckier than others no doubt. You can say people in the Midwest are luckier than people in California because its much higher chance of buying cars at MSRP. What about the rest of the world to California? Are you all luckier than people in China, Singapore, whose MSRP of GT3 is 310k USD? Its the same exact car right? Do you feel they're obligated to pay more because they have double the salary? Not quite. They are simply located in a different geographic location just like Midwest people are located in a different geographic location than California. Again, century old argument, what is MSRP? suggested retail price. Do you feel more comfortable buying a 310k MSRP GT3 in China than to pay 30k over 150k GT3 in US because you are buying at the MSRP? Lets say, hypothetically, Porsche lists GT3 at 180k MSRP, would you buy it at MSRP? What about 199k? What about 240k? At what point would you say, I rather pay over on a low MSRP car than pay higher MSRP? Now lets reverse the roll, What if PCNA starts lowering the MSRP? at 110k GT3, would you pay 30k over? No? What about 90k? 60k? At what point would you pay 30k over for a GT3? Never?

You may say the MSRP is logical and Porsche designed the car to be meant to be sold at that price, but I'm sorry it realty isn't. PCNA and PAG sets the price of the car from the marketing department. There is no bigger marketing force than to create a huge hype and letting tens of thousands of fans hook onto it and always want a glimmer of hope of getting one. The pricing is strategic, corporations do it all the time, I rather make 30k less profit per car, but to me 30k X 2000 cars I make is actually a pretty cheap marketing cost for creating this enormous hype, and I just write it off on the marketing department. They are unfortunately letting the dealers become to the culprit. If you feed a pack of wolves with only a piece of meat, they will fight for it and they will be greedy, its nature. Porsche can increase the MSRP of GT cars by 70k, and the market and demand will be more balanced out, but now people will say now PAG is the vampire and greedy company, so best to let someone else take the fall. For the same reason of the hype, they will not build twice or three times as many GT cars. Can they build another GT department factory? yes. Can they hire another GT department team? yes. The hype of the pinnacle GT cars are passed down to other models. I've seen too many people settle for Carrera GTS, Carrera S, or Cayman GTS because they couldn't get the GT cars, and wins for Porsche.

Just some food for thoughts!
Agree 100%. What we have is what we have. Jump in or keep moving.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:21 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I understand your concern, but unfortunately there isn't a solution to this. I know every time a new GT model comes out, people will try to speculate and argue over the same thing again. The only way to really solve the problem is if Porsche double or triples the GT car production, or Porsche raises the MSRP by 50-70k$.

I would love to buy a limited Ferrari like F12 TDF, Speciale, LaFerrari even tho I've put my name and deposit down 10 years ago. I would love to go see Mayweather's boxing match floor seats at MSRP $1000 since I've put myself on a list instead of $5000. I would love to buy Romanee Conti current release Burgundy at MSRP instead of 13k$ per bottle. I also wanted to own a part of snapchat at their IPO at snapchat's and bank's suggested IPO market price. Unfortunately I also got denied for these lists even if I put myself on a list. Its really happening in many different industries. Like you, I love those brands and the product they provide and only want to pay MSRP but market forces prevail.

Lets say if PCNA sends a decree that all dealers cannot sell any car over MSRP, then a few things would happen. In the case if dealers don't take a physical list, there will still be a list. There's always a list because a dealer is not going to get 50 cars in half year, but more like 2-6 cars, and I am sure the GM or GSM of a dealer can at least remember 2-6 important people in their heads, whether consciously or unconsciously. So when the car comes, they will literally just pick and choose 2-6 people that they want to sell to. If a dealer does take a list and Porsche also says you have to go down the list in order, then the list will be crazy. If I know the next 911R 10 years from now they are going to make only 911 units, I would put a deposit now, especially since its refundable. What you'll end up getting is the more wealthy people can literally put 15k deposit on every single GT car for the next 30 years. Why not? If I had the money I would. You'll be 40-100 people on every list for cars 5-10 years out. Only the people who can afford to put deposits for 5-10 years on multiple cars will end up getting them. The market will prevail because doesn't matter who buys it at MSRP, there will always be people who be willing to pay over, since you can't pay over, the used car prices of cars "brand new" will be over sticker, so why would you not guarantee a spot 5 years from now that'll be worth 50-70k over MSRP. Sure some cars will be worth only 10-20k more, but it'll be worth more regardless.

Some people are luckier than others no doubt. You can say people in the Midwest are luckier than people in California because its much higher chance of buying cars at MSRP. What about the rest of the world to California? Are you all luckier than people in China, Singapore, whose MSRP of GT3 is 310k USD? Its the same exact car right? Do you feel they're obligated to pay more because they have double the salary? Not quite. They are simply located in a different geographic location just like Midwest people are located in a different geographic location than California. Again, century old argument, what is MSRP? suggested retail price. Do you feel more comfortable buying a 310k MSRP GT3 in China than to pay 30k over 150k GT3 in US because you are buying at the MSRP? Lets say, hypothetically, Porsche lists GT3 at 180k MSRP, would you buy it at MSRP? What about 199k? What about 240k? At what point would you say, I rather pay over on a low MSRP car than pay higher MSRP? Now lets reverse the roll, What if PCNA starts lowering the MSRP? at 110k GT3, would you pay 30k over? No? What about 90k? 60k? At what point would you pay 30k over for a GT3? Never?

You may say the MSRP is logical and Porsche designed the car to be meant to be sold at that price, but I'm sorry it realty isn't. PCNA and PAG sets the price of the car from the marketing department. There is no bigger marketing force than to create a huge hype and letting tens of thousands of fans hook onto it and always want a glimmer of hope of getting one. The pricing is strategic, corporations do it all the time, I rather make 30k less profit per car, but to me 30k X 2000 cars I make is actually a pretty cheap marketing cost for creating this enormous hype, and I just write it off on the marketing department. They are unfortunately letting the dealers become to the culprit. If you feed a pack of wolves with only a piece of meat, they will fight for it and they will be greedy, its nature. Porsche can increase the MSRP of GT cars by 70k, and the market and demand will be more balanced out, but now people will say now PAG is the vampire and greedy company, so best to let someone else take the fall. For the same reason of the hype, they will not build twice or three times as many GT cars. Can they build another GT department factory? yes. Can they hire another GT department team? yes. The hype of the pinnacle GT cars are passed down to other models. I've seen too many people settle for Carrera GTS, Carrera S, or Cayman GTS because they couldn't get the GT cars, and wins for Porsche.

Just some food for thoughts!
Great post right there, but how about a Country like Canada where the dealers can't sell for more than GT? I don't think they have guys putting down deposits 10+ years in advance or are there (maybe our Canadian neighbors can chime in)? How do the Canadian dealers determine who gets GT cars?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:23 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Originally Posted by STG
Yes, most of the guys out there paying over MSRP to have the hottest car never look at or care about Rennlist. They're just buying latest/greatest and have little loyalty to any brand.
Yeah, I paid over for my RS because I wanted to have the car to track not to show it off because I'll never make it to a C&C because I love to sleep in. I was a weak, weak man. That being said, I will not pay over for a non-PTS GT3 period, end of story. I know I'll get a car, but it might not be till late 2018 or 2019 and I'm fine with that.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:24 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The only way to really solve the problem is if Porsche double or triples the GT car production, or Porsche raises the MSRP by 50-70k$.
There's a much easier way: PAG offers all regional allocations up at an auction (Dutch or some other kind) and allows the market to clear.

Again, century old argument, what is MSRP? suggested retail price. Do you feel more comfortable buying a 310k MSRP GT3 in China than to pay 30k over 150k GT3 in US because you are buying at the MSRP? Lets say, hypothetically, Porsche lists GT3 at 180k MSRP, would you buy it at MSRP? What about 199k? What about 240k? At what point would you say, I rather pay over on a low MSRP car than pay higher MSRP? Now lets reverse the roll, What if PCNA starts lowering the MSRP? at 110k GT3, would you pay 30k over? No? What about 90k? 60k? At what point would you pay 30k over for a GT3? Never?
Again, best to allow the market to clear itself -- without MSRP, intermediaries (dealers), or restrictions about what prices they can or cannot sell.

It's absurd that PAG who designs and actually BUILDS a car earns a $15k profit on it while a dealer who merely sells it (as if a GT car needs someone to sell it, right?) earns a $30-70k profit. Who needs dealers these days anyway? They are as useful as "full commission stock brokerages" (from the 80's) are today. If a franchise wants to offer warranty service to PAG cars they can just do that.

But I'm sure there are state dealer lobbies and licencing laws that would make sure that this never happens. Tesla got to taste some of those.

Last edited by hf1; 04-03-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:57 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Second mention of Tesla. Be careful what you ask for. The Tesla model while it controls the price on the top and would keep dealers (or the manufacturer) from charging over MSRP, you also can't get a car for under MSRP. Try walking into a Tesla dealer and negotiate the retail price, doesn't happen.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:03 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
And you would be incorrect..
Oh boy this can be a big debate....didn't I mention my lack of head space?

Obviously not "free", we pay in taxes but much less than our friends to the south. Most of the western world thinks its the right way.

Short comings, for sure but generellay better, yes.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Second mention of Tesla. Be careful what you ask for. The Tesla model while it controls the price on the top and would keep dealers (or the manufacturer) from charging over MSRP, you also can't get a car for under MSRP. Try walking into a Tesla dealer and negotiate the retail price, doesn't happen.
Supply and demand. Why would they negotiate it lower when they can sell it higher? Plus, Musk is still not interested in making profits as money is cheap -- Tesla stock just hit a new all time high today as the company is burning cash like there's no tomorrow and no one even asks about when it will make a profit.

I wasn't suggesting that PAG should do what Tesla does. Tesla doesn't sell allocations at auctions either. I only mentioned it in the context of its battles it has encountered as a direct seller with states and dealer lobbies nationwide.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I have zero problems with that. Just like walking into any store. You pay msrp or don't buy it. If there is a sale, great. Otherwise pay the same as everyone else and forget the GAMES.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 PM
STG
Race Director

You guys ever read this??

Name:  photo392.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  311.0 KB

Name:  photo693.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  82.0 KB
^^^ see ... been going on a LONG time

http://www.autonews.com/article/2006...%3A-no-contest
Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Name:  photo363.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  248.0 KBName:  photo125.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  91.2 KB

http://www.autonews.com/article/2006...%3A-no-contest
Old 04-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 197 Likes on 97 Posts

Ferrari seems to be able to control their dealers from selling over MSRP at least when I was buying them. If a dealer sold a new car above MSRP he would lose an allocation.

The bargain for the dealer is he decides who he wants to sell the car to. More often than not, it is to repeat customers who are turning in their used Ferrari typically with low mileage. To get into the program, a new buyer would have to buy a used Ferrari which typically is listed above market value/MSRP.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread