Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

CHAOSOUL =
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:17 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And the same 50-ish cars have been on AutoTrader, unsold, for months. I've been following them and the same cars are just sitting there unsold. There's a great build on there, local guys, very low miles, a few nice add ons, perfect condition, only $30k over. And it's been sitting there for months.
I personally know of two that sold for way over MSRP in the last few weeks.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:33 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chaosoul
I understand your concern, but unfortunately there isn't a solution to this. I know every time a new GT model comes out, people will try to speculate and argue over the same thing again. The only way to really solve the problem is if Porsche double or triples the GT car production, or Porsche raises the MSRP by 50-70k$.

I would love to buy a limited Ferrari like F12 TDF, Speciale, LaFerrari even tho I've put my name and deposit down 10 years ago. I would love to go see Mayweather's boxing match floor seats at MSRP $1000 since I've put myself on a list instead of $5000. I would love to buy Romanee Conti current release Burgundy at MSRP instead of 13k$ per bottle. I also wanted to own a part of snapchat at their IPO at snapchat's and bank's suggested IPO market price. Unfortunately I also got denied for these lists even if I put myself on a list. Its really happening in many different industries. Like you, I love those brands and the product they provide and only want to pay MSRP but market forces prevail.

Lets say if PCNA sends a decree that all dealers cannot sell any car over MSRP, then a few things would happen. In the case if dealers don't take a physical list, there will still be a list. There's always a list because a dealer is not going to get 50 cars in half year, but more like 2-6 cars, and I am sure the GM or GSM of a dealer can at least remember 2-6 important people in their heads, whether consciously or unconsciously. So when the car comes, they will literally just pick and choose 2-6 people that they want to sell to. If a dealer does take a list and Porsche also says you have to go down the list in order, then the list will be crazy. If I know the next 911R 10 years from now they are going to make only 911 units, I would put a deposit now, especially since its refundable. What you'll end up getting is the more wealthy people can literally put 15k deposit on every single GT car for the next 30 years. Why not? If I had the money I would. You'll be 40-100 people on every list for cars 5-10 years out. Only the people who can afford to put deposits for 5-10 years on multiple cars will end up getting them. The market will prevail because doesn't matter who buys it at MSRP, there will always be people who be willing to pay over, since you can't pay over, the used car prices of cars "brand new" will be over sticker, so why would you not guarantee a spot 5 years from now that'll be worth 50-70k over MSRP. Sure some cars will be worth only 10-20k more, but it'll be worth more regardless.

Some people are luckier than others no doubt. You can say people in the Midwest are luckier than people in California because its much higher chance of buying cars at MSRP. What about the rest of the world to California? Are you all luckier than people in China, Singapore, whose MSRP of GT3 is 310k USD? Its the same exact car right? Do you feel they're obligated to pay more because they have double the salary? Not quite. They are simply located in a different geographic location just like Midwest people are located in a different geographic location than California. Again, century old argument, what is MSRP? suggested retail price. Do you feel more comfortable buying a 310k MSRP GT3 in China than to pay 30k over 150k GT3 in US because you are buying at the MSRP? Lets say, hypothetically, Porsche lists GT3 at 180k MSRP, would you buy it at MSRP? What about 199k? What about 240k? At what point would you say, I rather pay over on a low MSRP car than pay higher MSRP? Now lets reverse the roll, What if PCNA starts lowering the MSRP? at 110k GT3, would you pay 30k over? No? What about 90k? 60k? At what point would you pay 30k over for a GT3? Never?

You may say the MSRP is logical and Porsche designed the car to be meant to be sold at that price, but I'm sorry it realty isn't. PCNA and PAG sets the price of the car from the marketing department. There is no bigger marketing force than to create a huge hype and letting tens of thousands of fans hook onto it and always want a glimmer of hope of getting one. The pricing is strategic, corporations do it all the time, I rather make 30k less profit per car, but to me 30k X 2000 cars I make is actually a pretty cheap marketing cost for creating this enormous hype, and I just write it off on the marketing department. They are unfortunately letting the dealers become to the culprit. If you feed a pack of wolves with only a piece of meat, they will fight for it and they will be greedy, its nature. Porsche can increase the MSRP of GT cars by 70k, and the market and demand will be more balanced out, but now people will say now PAG is the vampire and greedy company, so best to let someone else take the fall. For the same reason of the hype, they will not build twice or three times as many GT cars. Can they build another GT department factory? yes. Can they hire another GT department team? yes. The hype of the pinnacle GT cars are passed down to other models. I've seen too many people settle for Carrera GTS, Carrera S, or Cayman GTS because they couldn't get the GT cars, and wins for Porsche.

Just some food for thoughts!

Last edited by Terrence; 04-04-2017 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Simplification
Old 04-04-2017, 02:38 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Smile

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Second mention of Tesla. Be careful what you ask for. The Tesla model while it controls the price on the top and would keep dealers (or the manufacturer) from charging over MSRP, you also can't get a car for under MSRP. Try walking into a Tesla dealer and negotiate the retail price, doesn't happen.

Great point!
Old 04-04-2017, 02:55 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All this for a freaking car. Unbelievable. We all have lost it folks. Seriously.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

update
FJ came through and rewarded my loyalty.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:26 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a call from the dealer last week; made a deposit; filled out the configurator; was told that I will get one but late in the production cycle because of PTS. I was advised that it is policy of Porsche St Louis that, with rare exceptions, to sell the GT cars to locals first
Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by aeGT3
Got a call from the dealer last week; made a deposit; filled out the configurator; was told that I will get one but late in the production cycle because of PTS. I was advised that it is policy of Porsche St Louis that, with rare exceptions, to sell the GT cars to locals first
Thanks for sharing!

Any idea what late in production equates to on a timeline - also live in STL
Old 04-04-2017, 10:39 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I have zero problems with that. Just like walking into any store. You pay msrp or don't buy it. If there is a sale, great. Otherwise pay the same as everyone else and forget the GAMES.
I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here. Say this is the model for the GT3. How do you base who gets the car then? If they have way more demand than supply.

Dealers allocate based on what actually? # of porsche's bought? online presence? if you know the family of the gm? if you have blue eyes? or if you have black hair?

The one thing about letting people pay market price is that money can override a lot of biases, which allows people who normally would be "excluded" from buying those cars.

I'm just saying that the Tesla model works for mass produced cars with a ton of supply. But what happens when there isn't?

Last edited by neoprufrok; 05-11-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:46 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

There will be 7000 GT3's - suggest buying an RS and calling it a day.

Just found out I was #20 which equates to - going to look at Mac and 458 Speciale two P cars are enough.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
this is too complicated
i think buying illegal weapons ( i mean really illegal stuff..... aircrafts, missle launchers), hookers, human organs taken out from live ppl. are easier. i am tired. i'll save the money and buy chocolate. richart is sending me some good candies from lyon france. have fun buying gT3.
Seriously? I would have thought Fremont would have called you before almost anyone except for maybe Jan
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,153 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Seriously? I would have thought Fremont would have called you before almost anyone except for maybe Jan
Yeah, what gives? How does one get a Mango PTS RS but not even get a run of the mill GT3?
Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No sh*t that's not the way it works with car dealers. Who said otherwise? It's because dealers are scumbags. I'm all for the Tesla model of sales. I don't care if I can't bargain for a lower price anymore. Bargaining is a waste of time for me and I hate games. I also hate seeing people getting ripped off by dealers and the lack of transparency because of the smoke/mirrors/games. End it all. Buy direct. Keep it simple.
Well, a) you're probably fairly alone in that thought and b) if everybody paid current MSRP for their cars, consumers would be transferring billions of dollars from their wallets to the automakers, because the vast majority of cars are sold under sticker. The number of cars, and dollars, associated with the few limited production cars that sell at a premium, is a drop of water in the ocean of car sales. The only person that would be better off in your model would be the guy who only buys high demand cars. But then again, he might not find he can even get those cars anymore, because pricing below the market clearing price will create a supply/demand imbalance.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Terrence
I personally know of two that sold for way over MSRP in the last few weeks.
And I can point to 30+ cars that have sat unsold on Autotrader for months.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by silverrules
All this for a freaking car. Unbelievable. We all have lost it folks. Seriously.
No, nobody's lost it, it's called an asset bubble. But we're not going to get into that discussion again...

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread