Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Regardless of how big the lists are, I just don't buy that the market clearing price for this car is $50k over and that dealers are going to find very many people willing to pony up that much over sticker.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

[QUOTE=997rs4.0;14083504]
Originally Posted by mass27

Agree with you that Porsche is turning away the classic gt buyer at the moment.

That might be one of the reasons we will see gt2rs and 991.2rs sooner than you think. That will direct the interest away from the 991.2gt3 and free up some allocations. If you want a 991.2gt3 I would just sit still in the boat until those models have been released.
Yup, I'll quietly let the GT2RS and GT3RS come out in the next 12 months and wait for my turn in 2018 to get a GT3. No way in hell am I getting a car in 2017. It's ok, got enough fun cars to keep my occupied. Besides, I need to hustle more if I want to add a GT3 and GT3RS to the stable.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:05 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

But look at the RS's, they are pre-owned and out for 18 months.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
But look at the RS's, they are pre-owned and out for 18 months.
And the same 50-ish cars have been on AutoTrader, unsold, for months. I've been following them and the same cars are just sitting there unsold. There's a great build on there, local guys, very low miles, a few nice add ons, perfect condition, only $30k over. And it's been sitting there for months.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:21 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Nothing new here. Always a next car.
Dealers won't be getting $50k over for a 991.2gt3. That's $200k+ for a gt3.
When 991.2rs is released gen 1rs will be msrp -30k

The one car that will be hard to get is the gt4rs if they make it. Talk about crazy demand. Bare bones 4.0l cayman RS around $130k.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:21 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

You make a good point. Listing price is not a sale.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:25 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Dealers in the US were told to put in order demands (V70) for the GT3 because PCNA can use that information to tell Germany "hey... look at all the demand in the US for GT3's... please send more allocations our way." Despite the obvious fact there's huge demand for the car, many dealers don't bother to put V70 orders in PVMS simply because it takes time away from other things to do.

If you received a commission number in V70 status, it does absolutely NOTHING for you and does not get you any closer to receiving an allocation. It also does NOTHING for the individual dealer who puts in V70 orders, despite what the regional reps tell the dealers. All it does is enable PCNA to show Zuffenhausen all the pent up demand in the US. Right now, Canada is showing more V70 orders than the US, so the regional reps in the US recently pushed their dealers to input their customers into PVMS simply to show what everyone already knows - yes, there is HUGE demand in the US.... send allocations our way....

To be perfectly honest, the United States is not the preferred country for Zuffenhausen to allocate their products, from the GT models downward. PCNA begs for these allocations just like you beg your dealers for them. Because the selling price of Porsches are LESS in the United States versus other countries (due to a more competitive market), Zuffenhausen would rather sell their products in countries like China or Singapore or the ME; Zuffenhausen makes LESS per car sold to PCNA than to other countries. Of course, the flip side to this is that the US is the biggest market. First and foremost, Porsche is a business and they will direct their product to marketplaces where they can maximize profit. And yes, I understand Porsche makes $17K (or whatever it is) per car sold in the US, but Porsche actually makes MORE in other countries.

Think of it like this... if Zuffenhausen had 1 extra GT3 to allocate anywhere in the world, where would they allocate it? They would attempt to sell it to the country that pays the highest price for it. The base "invoice price" that PCNA pays the factory is far less than the base "invoice price" paid by the distributers in other countries. Plus, the amount of litigation exposure in the US is infinitely more than in other countries. All prices being the same, there is a lot of brain damage doing business in the US.

To bring this full circle, when you have a commission number in V70 status, it only means your dealer is cooperating with PCNA's wishes that all dealers input their demand in PVMS. This aggregate demand is used to show Germany that they should direct more GT allocations to the US, rather than, say, Canada or Singapore or wherever. If you have a commission number in V200 status, you've got a real allocation.

It's all about the benjamins....
Awesome info........go toonies and loonies!!!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:30 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Porsche Allocation Fatigue.

I'm telling you... it's a real thing!!

At least we've got free health care...
Haha...yes. I may need to use it.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Regardless of how big the lists are, I just don't buy that the market clearing price for this car is $50k over and that dealers are going to find very many people willing to pony up that much over sticker.
Its called "stupid $". Similar to how CA skewed the popular vote in the last election by putting the other 49 states on notice - what works for CA ................

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
At least we've got free health care...
No you don't.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:10 PM
TM5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I just received an email ( it was fittingly in my junk folder) from the sales MGR at a dealer in the DC area - others may have also received this message. I don't recall contacting this dealer in the past but may have when searching for a Gt4 allocation.

His message said - we have 3 available allocations contact us ASAP - July, Oct, Dec.

Expecting a market adjustment I called to see how much - without hesitation he said msrp +60 - I asked if there was any flexibility and he said no - apparently the west coast doesn't have a monopoly on unscrupulous dealers.....
Old 04-03-2017, 06:12 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
No you don't.

And you would be incorrect..
Old 04-03-2017, 06:12 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27

I understand what you are saying, but here is the dilemma for someone like me, and many others.

Take away the following people from the purchasing market:
1. 918
2. VVIP
3. People who purchase 1 Porsche (or more or less) per year
4. People who have no issue paying any amount over MSRP

Where does that leave the rest of the people? People who love the brand, who love the GT model, who don't fall into any of the above 4 categories. How are they realistically going to get a GT car for MSRP? Dealers are currently turning people away as the lists are too long. Dealers are raising their market premium as the demand is too high. There are potentially 3 GT variants that may share the production line (GT3, RS, GT2RS) that could result in overall decreased production for each model.

If the answer is "Too bad for you if you don't fall in any of those categories. Either make a change so you do fall into a category, wait and hope that production increases or demand decreases or buy it used in the secondary market" then I am ok with that. What would help is if the dealers just stopped taking deposits because there is this waiting game fueled by false optimism mixed with misinformation combined with huge demand that creates premiums.
Originally Posted by shaytun
Mass,
I agree with you. I'm on the same boat. I'd even add that many dealers don't take deposits which even makes it worse, cause then it's based on your numbers 1-4. One that I thought and still hope I'm number 3 at returned my deposit last year and said you'll still be on the list in the same position. Been bugging the hell out of them, and still no word on allocations.

I understand your concern, but unfortunately there isn't a solution to this. I know every time a new GT model comes out, people will try to speculate and argue over the same thing again. The only way to really solve the problem is if Porsche double or triples the GT car production, or Porsche raises the MSRP by 50-70k$.

I would love to buy a limited Ferrari like F12 TDF, Speciale, LaFerrari even tho I've put my name and deposit down 10 years ago. I would love to go see Mayweather's boxing match floor seats at MSRP $1000 since I've put myself on a list instead of $5000. I would love to buy Romanee Conti current release Burgundy at MSRP instead of 13k$ per bottle. I also wanted to own a part of snapchat at their IPO at snapchat's and bank's suggested IPO market price. Unfortunately I also got denied for these lists even if I put myself on a list. Its really happening in many different industries. Like you, I love those brands and the product they provide and only want to pay MSRP but market forces prevail.

Lets say if PCNA sends a decree that all dealers cannot sell any car over MSRP, then a few things would happen. In the case if dealers don't take a physical list, there will still be a list. There's always a list because a dealer is not going to get 50 cars in half year, but more like 2-6 cars, and I am sure the GM or GSM of a dealer can at least remember 2-6 important people in their heads, whether consciously or unconsciously. So when the car comes, they will literally just pick and choose 2-6 people that they want to sell to. If a dealer does take a list and Porsche also says you have to go down the list in order, then the list will be crazy. If I know the next 911R 10 years from now they are going to make only 911 units, I would put a deposit now, especially since its refundable. What you'll end up getting is the more wealthy people can literally put 15k deposit on every single GT car for the next 30 years. Why not? If I had the money I would. You'll be 40-100 people on every list for cars 5-10 years out. Only the people who can afford to put deposits for 5-10 years on multiple cars will end up getting them. The market will prevail because doesn't matter who buys it at MSRP, there will always be people who be willing to pay over, since you can't pay over, the used car prices of cars "brand new" will be over sticker, so why would you not guarantee a spot 5 years from now that'll be worth 50-70k over MSRP. Sure some cars will be worth only 10-20k more, but it'll be worth more regardless.

Some people are luckier than others no doubt. You can say people in the Midwest are luckier than people in California because its much higher chance of buying cars at MSRP. What about the rest of the world to California? Are you all luckier than people in China, Singapore, whose MSRP of GT3 is 310k USD? Its the same exact car right? Do you feel they're obligated to pay more because they have double the salary? Not quite. They are simply located in a different geographic location just like Midwest people are located in a different geographic location than California. Again, century old argument, what is MSRP? suggested retail price. Do you feel more comfortable buying a 310k MSRP GT3 in China than to pay 30k over 150k GT3 in US because you are buying at the MSRP? Lets say, hypothetically, Porsche lists GT3 at 180k MSRP, would you buy it at MSRP? What about 199k? What about 240k? At what point would you say, I rather pay over on a low MSRP car than pay higher MSRP? Now lets reverse the roll, What if PCNA starts lowering the MSRP? at 110k GT3, would you pay 30k over? No? What about 90k? 60k? At what point would you pay 30k over for a GT3? Never?

You may say the MSRP is logical and Porsche designed the car to be meant to be sold at that price, but I'm sorry it realty isn't. PCNA and PAG sets the price of the car from the marketing department. There is no bigger marketing force than to create a huge hype and letting tens of thousands of fans hook onto it and always want a glimmer of hope of getting one. The pricing is strategic, corporations do it all the time, I rather make 30k less profit per car, but to me 30k X 2000 cars I make is actually a pretty cheap marketing cost for creating this enormous hype, and I just write it off on the marketing department. They are unfortunately letting the dealers become to the culprit. If you feed a pack of wolves with only a piece of meat, they will fight for it and they will be greedy, its nature. Porsche can increase the MSRP of GT cars by 70k, and the market and demand will be more balanced out, but now people will say now PAG is the vampire and greedy company, so best to let someone else take the fall. For the same reason of the hype, they will not build twice or three times as many GT cars. Can they build another GT department factory? yes. Can they hire another GT department team? yes. The hype of the pinnacle GT cars are passed down to other models. I've seen too many people settle for Carrera GTS, Carrera S, or Cayman GTS because they couldn't get the GT cars, and wins for Porsche.

Just some food for thoughts!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
And you would be incorrect..
Taxes my man, taxes. Government will always take. Fool the masses with a story.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:21 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Taxes my man, taxes. Government will always take. Fool the masses with a story.

LoL.. Wow
Old 04-03-2017, 06:25 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

The sad thing is this entire thread is just the same replay from .1 GT3, GT4, .1 GT3RS.....

Bottom line until people with more money than sense stop paying over it will continue. Everyone always wants to be first at C&C.

Just start the .2 GT3RS, GT2RS and GT4RS threads now so we can copy and paste our comments in them all. Far more efficient this way.

Oh yeah and health care is not free, if you think it is you are a fool.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread