Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2GT3
I am selling my allocation if anyone is interested.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-for-sale.html
An allocation isn't a thing that you own that you can then sell. What dealer would be ok with this? They've got no obligation to sell a car to whoever you choose.

Is your plan to buy the car and then immediately turn around and sell it to the person you're selling your allocation to?

You're everything that's wrong with this process. Word it any way you like. You're trying to flip new cars for profit at the expense of those who want to own and enjoy them.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:57 PM
herenow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up, got an email from Porsche of Huntington in NY

"We have open allocations for mid summer for PDK and mid fall for manual. We are looking for 50K over MSRP, which is the current market."

Just to mess with them I asked if any were PTS allocations and if the 50k was negotiable, have yet to hear back. But if you're looking for a stealership, this one is right there with the best of them lol

PS: Last time I had a conversation was them was in 2015 and I was #3 on their list for this .2 GT3

Last edited by herenow; 04-04-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here. Say this is the model for the GT3. How do you base who gets the car then? If they have way more demand than supply.

Dealers allocate based on what actually? # of porsche's bought? online presence? if you know the family of the gm? if you have blue eyes? or if you have black hair?

The one thing about letting people pay market price is that money can override a lot of biases, which allows people who normally would be "excluded" from buying those cars.

I'm definitely not advocating for dealer markups - I hate it. I'm just saying that the Tesla model works for mass produced cars with a ton of supply. But what happens when there isn't?
I still truly believe that Porsche makes enough for demand minus one. They are masters at it. Think about it. How much whining do you hear about not getting an allocation once the cars are at the end of production? In the beginning everyone said there wouldn't be enough GT4s, yet everyone I know that truly wanted one, got one. Even the 991RS. My buddy just turned down a new RS at msrp at a NorCal dealer. Supply is artificially limited by flippers and greedy dealers holding onto allocations in search of the big sucker. A list is just a list. Not indicative of actual demand. People are on multiple lists and many back out once it comes down to signing the paperwork. For the 991, I was number 17 and ended up being called as number 6 half way into production. I got offers from 2 other places at msrp at the same time.

A deposit gets you in line. First come, first serve. People with a prior history could potentially get higher up on the list, using a point system like CJ uses. Once the flippers and dealers restricting supply are taken out, the process gets a lot more simple.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Seriously? I would have thought Fremont would have called you before almost anyone except for maybe Jan
Fremont has decided they wanted to play the greed game.

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-04-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well, a) you're probably fairly alone in that thought and b) if everybody paid current MSRP for their cars, consumers would be transferring billions of dollars from their wallets to the automakers, because the vast majority of cars are sold under sticker. The number of cars, and dollars, associated with the few limited production cars that sell at a premium, is a drop of water in the ocean of car sales. The only person that would be better off in your model would be the guy who only buys high demand cars. But then again, he might not find he can even get those cars anymore, because pricing below the market clearing price will create a supply/demand imbalance.
A). I'm definitely not alone
B). People pay below msrp because a lot of the smoke/mirrors and BS are baked into the msrp. Take out the games, take out the 'dealer hold backs', etc, and the price will more truly reflect actual cost. If the cars are not selling, the manufacturer will put them on sale or have incentives, just like any other product for sale. How tiring would life be if you had to negotiate for everything you buy, which is what you suggest how this economy should work?

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-04-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
What they should do is make a contract with the buyer that if the buyer wants to sell it within 2 years of purchase, they must sell it back to the dealer for the original price paid. Problem solved.
This does happen quite often and I have no problem with this. I think that is the right thing to do. That is why Dealers try to sell to their local repeat Customers who the know will not flip it. If I flipped my car my Dealer would certainly overlook me on my next "specialty" purchase
Old 04-04-2017, 05:24 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am still confused as to where these allocations are coming from; Suncoast Sarasota and the biggest dealer in Boston, where I bought my '14 GT3, do not have any from PCNA as of today.
Both of these dealers sell new at MSRP. Trades/ resale go at market i.e. GT3RS.

Last edited by RFGGT3; 04-04-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:25 PM
991.2GT3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
I am still confused as to where theses allocations are coming from; Suncoast Sarasota and the biggest dealer in Boston, where I bought my '14 GT3, do not have any from PCNA as of today.
Herb chambers in boston has an allocation and wanted 50k over as of yesterday evening

not sure about florida

not sure what to tell you, im relaying what i was told
Old 04-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by herenow
Just a heads up, got an email from Porsche of Huntington in NY

"We have open allocations for mid summer for PDK and mid fall for manual. We are looking for 50K over MSRP, which is the current market."
My response would have been: "How can there be a 'current market' when no cars have been sold yet?"
Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 991.2GT3
Herb chambers in boston has an allocation and wanted 50k over as of yesterday evening

not sure about florida

not sure what to tell you, im relaying what i was told
Rick Scourtas, Chambers Sales Manager, told me today. what can I say.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM
991.2GT3
AutoX

Rick Scourtas, Chambers Sales Manager, told me today. what can I say.

i actually trust you on this one. my sales guy is bs then which i expected.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:35 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Herb owns the downtown store and the Burlington P car store. His son George is GM in Burlington. I have bought several cars over the years from them. Neither shop has allocations .
Old 04-04-2017, 05:42 PM
chaosoul
Pro

I am still confused as to where these allocations are coming from; Suncoast Sarasota and the biggest dealer in Boston, where I bought my '14 GT3, do not have any from PCNA as of today.
Both of these dealers sell new at MSRP. Trades/ resale go at market i.e. GT3RS.

I don't know what is going on at Sarasota, whether they really got zero allocation or your contact isn't telling you the whole picture.

But I can tell you with 100% certainty that allocations are out. I've seen it in the system with my own eyes and I've seen enough people with V200 status order submitted which you cannot do without an allocation.

When a dealer receives zero allocation, it looks exactly the same as if they haven't received allocation. They won't really be able to differentiate between the two until they call or email their PCNA rep about it.

Look into it more, call other dealers close to Sarasota, and good luck
Old 04-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Chaosoul,
do you know if the Midwest allocations are out already?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:48 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

no way would I pay a low 200k number for a gt3....I'd rather spend the extra 100 and get a 720s.....
Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Unless Porsche decides to start making more of these cars or raise the price $50,000+ there will always be a problem with supply and demand. Why is this car "only" $144,000? The GT3RS market showed that buyers thought that car was worth $250,000 on average with mark ups...not $190,000...The 918 VIP program as discussed a few pages back has ensured less cars for regular folks to snag and actually hurts dealers like us who sold ZERO 918 Spyders. Porsche should simply build 275 additional units of all of the limited production models to ensure that the VIP guys are taken care of. Not take those out of our pool which is what they currently do.

I spend years in touch with folks trying to get them a GT car at MSRP. I am a commissioned sales idiot and as such subject to the labels that go with that job on this board and in person. The guy first on our 991.2 GT3 list gave me his deposit in 2014. He thought it was kind of ridiculous I am sure at the time when he did it. I did it to ensure that when that car was released that I would be the salesman that sold it as there is always way to few allocations for the demand. I would much rather sell 10 GT3's at sticker than sell 10 4 cylinder Macans at invoice....which actually sucks just as much time as taking a deposit and waiting 3 years I can tell you...I also find that the GT folks are car guys like me and I enjoy the process and being able to build them a car as they would like it to be specced out.

We currently have 30 V070 GT3's in our system which has been pointed out should send a red flag up at Porsche HQ that we are in desperate need of cars...but it did not help with this first batch of cars. Until Porsche decides to go to a boutique McLaren style of only building orders for these GT cars this will always be an issue. Should Porsche only make Cayman GT4's and not any other Cayman? I certainly think so. I sold every one of those at MSRP...no haggling, an easy sale for me. A base Cayman is often a haggle festival of galactic proportions that takes my time and energy and nets me a happy meal at McDonalds once the car is delivered.

25 versions of 911's is also ludicrous with an allocation based system and not a built to order system in place. If I am allocated 100 911's to sell for the year and there are 25 versions of the car how many of each model will I actually get that I need? Dealer trading is never a fun thing to get a base 911 coupe that I don't have. Since the base Targa was released we have received 2 cars..total. Why even build the car? Just offer a Targa 4S. The GTS should be a coupe, 2WD only. Not 5 versions. Unless I have an order that you can fill once it is in V070 status then I don't mind having 100 versions. The same can be said for most of our models, especially the Panamera.

My idea of a sports car product list: (This is not an official Porsche list just my wish list only)

911/4/Cab/Targa/ 420hp
911 GTS Coupe 450hp
911 GT3
911 GT3RS
911 Turbo/Cab 580hp

Cayman 350hp
Cayman GT4

Boxster 350hp
Boxster Spyder

Front Engine Coupe
High end sports car
Hyper Car $1M +

I see no reason for a Turbo S or a 370hp base 911 for that matter. The base 911 should have 420hp...that way the Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder can have more ponies under the hood. That is 9 911 models, 2 Boxsters and 2 Caymans...which allows an occasional special edition GT or something else.

PTS should be year round and cost $15,000 to eliminate half of the orders immediately. Every year should have 4 throw back "classic" colors offered. 1967 is this years, 1968 is next years etc... These classic colors cost $8000 and are offered all year.

My 2 cents....which I can assure you is worth less than that....

Last edited by Sonnen Porsche; 04-04-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread