Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Seriously what is wrong with you people? How have this forum become to peer pressured where people will be afraid to admit what they pay for their car and share their story? If you paid over, its frowned upon and you're feeding the vampire, a big no no. Everyone is so critical about the price that people pay. Very nice of giving a warm welcome to new people. The guy is happy and just wants to share his experience.

Do I really have to show you all my purchase contract for GT and RS cars at under MSRP in California to make you feel bad? And give you critical comments for buying cars at MSRP?

Be nice and help each other out! Everyone is going to have different situations and perspectives. Calling 10 dealers and getting the 50k over story from each dealer, putting your deposit 3 years ago and worry everyday as the car is about to debut if your allocation will be secure, and all that is not worth 25k to some people. Also, who knows, maybe from here on out he will get all future GT3 and GT4 at MSRP without worrying or giving a sweat. The GM or GSM may save him a spot every time and he doesn't even need to put a deposit. Not saying that's what is going to happen, but it might, and that'll be worth something as you all go through the same pain every time a new car debuts.
Your humility is astounding

Will you so kindly enlighten everyone on the art you have mastered to buy all your "new" GT and RS cars under MSRP in CA, posting the deals would be welcomed.

What many of us tried doing in a not so gentle way was tell the poster who is new to Porsche that he was being hosed. It seems as the dealer has convinced him he was doing him a favor and paying more was a good deal.

Years ago when I was buying my 997.2 RS I overheard a salesman telling a young guy who was buying his first Porsche (Cayman) that they can't sell below MSRP to protect their client. Thats why he had to charge him $2K above MSRP to custom order a car, because custom orders go to VIPs. But, this deal was going to get him "1 step closer" to actually getting on their VIP list, he just had to buy a few more cars at the "proper" price
Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
Will you so kindly enlighten everyone on the art you have mastered to buy all your "new" GT and RS cars under MSRP in CA, posting the deals would be welcomed.
I think you misunderstood him. My impression is that he's SOLD GT and RS cars under MSRP. Not bought them.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Seriously what is wrong with you people? How have this forum become to peer pressured where people will be afraid to admit what they pay for their car and share their story? If you paid over, its frowned upon and you're feeding the vampire, a big no no. Everyone is so critical about the price that people pay. Very nice of giving a warm welcome to new people. The guy is happy and just wants to share his experience.

Do I really have to show you all my purchase contract for GT and RS cars at under MSRP in California to make you feel bad? And give you critical comments for buying cars at MSRP?

Be nice and help each other out! Everyone is going to have different situations and perspectives. Calling 10 dealers and getting the 50k over story from each dealer, putting your deposit 3 years ago and worry everyday as the car is about to debut if your allocation will be secure, and all that is not worth 25k to some people. Also, who knows, maybe from here on out he will get all future GT3 and GT4 at MSRP without worrying or giving a sweat. The GM or GSM may save him a spot every time and he doesn't even need to put a deposit. Not saying that's what is going to happen, but it might, and that'll be worth something as you all go through the same pain every time a new car debuts.
It was not my intent to ridicule the poster. It was my intent explain to him and others like him that it is not necessary to pay over, and that paying over only encourages dealers to take advantage of new buyers like him. Unfortunately, they are the prime targets/victims of these dealers. They lure them and then depict a false reality of buying in porsche ownership. I'm sure this is what Porsche is trying to stop by selling direct. I can name people who have never bought a Porsche, let alone from Fremont that have bought GT cars at msrp even as early as a month ago. I have strong suspicions (no proof) that they (bad dealers, and not just Fremont) target recent immigrants as victims because they assume they have the disposable income and are easier to lie to. It's also an easier sell when the country they come from sells the same car at twice the price.

I offered a solution to the poster as well. He should also talk to Porsche of Fresno. We need to support the good dealers, not defend the bad ones.

Telling the poster that were able to buy at msrp was not to brag, but to put out data points. You being able to buy below msrp is a valuable data point as well. The more information we can share and spread out there, the less the dealers can take advantage of people, which is what I detest. I mostly fault the dealers.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I think you misunderstood him. My impression is that he's SOLD GT and RS cars under MSRP. Not bought them.
So he's a dealer/salesman? Of course, he would support the act. The amount of ethical salespeople are greatly overshadowed by the unethical.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
So he's a dealer/salesman? Of course, he would support the act. The amount of ethical salespeople are greatly overshadowed by the unethical.
Hang on there. It doesn't matter what he is/does. He has been very helpful here in giving us information on how some things work. He had some good reasons to defend fabe32. Some things could have been said better. No need to throw him into the same barrel as the bad guys as he hasn't shown any signs of that.

There ARE a few decent salesguys and dealers out there
Old 04-05-2017, 11:08 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

If a sales guy would even mention the words "market adjustment" to me I would be out of the door before he finished the sentence.
You don't build a relationship with a dealership on buying cars you don't want. Takes time to build a relationship, involved in activities, servicing your cars, actually getting to know the people.

I buy my toys on my terms, when the seller dictates and putting pressure on me with cash in hand I walk.
I wish nothing bad for my dealer. Just ask to be treated fairly even when times are good. That way I can treat them fairly when times are not so good.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:21 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Wow this thread took a turn. Fabe good for you, you got what you wanted and with zero P sales had to pay for those cars. Don't worry about all the self righteous folks here that only pay MSRP. Many pay over and either just don't admit it or don't frequent this forum because of the ridicule they get. It's ok for USC guy (and who knows how many other large post count guys) to pay over MSRP for a car but a guy with only a few posts gets 2 pages of harassment and takes it quite well I might add.

Keep building a relationship with one dealer. Leverage the hell out of the over MSRP you have already paid and you too will soon have a "at MSRP" relationship with a dealer. It takes time and money to get there, no magic bullet. It is VERY unlikely a person with no or only one P purchase is going to get a GT car at MSRP.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:26 AM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Guys, as you know, I'm here in Canada and don't need to worry about MSRP and if it was the same here as the US, I would more than likely not pay over either. On that note, I somewhat compare this to the housing market. When times are good, like the present time, there are many people who pay over the asking price for a home. I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone has a different level of $$$ and some care and some don't.
People paying over for houses mainly for 2 reasons:
1. Houses appreciate in value, 30% a year in GTA for 2016
2. Limited supply for houses in good area
High demand + low supply + low finance rate lead to this crazy market today.

Non of above applies to cars.

Would you be happy if you buy $3.5M for your house and mortgage appraisal tells you your house worth $2.5M?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
... Don't worry about all the self righteous folks here that only pay MSRP. Many pay over and either just don't admit it or don't frequent this forum because of the ridicule they get. ... It takes time and money to get there, no magic bullet. It is VERY unlikely a person with no or only one P purchase is going to get a GT car at MSRP.

That may be true in your neck of the woods but it isn't universal. I know several people who bought GT cars at MSRP even so they never owned a Porsche in their life or never have bought one from that dealer.

All that misinformation .......
Old 04-05-2017, 12:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

My dealer is good. He knows I don't make much,buying these cars is a stretch for me and that I work hard to be able to afford them. He also knows I'm not a flipper and when Christmas comes,I'm the one who'll get him a bottle of scotch,not the rich guy. I come from the " working class " just like him,so he probably relates or feels bad for me,so he sells me at MSRP.

Maybe none of the above counts and he's just good...I don't know...I haven't asked...
I'm so relaxed about this whole process...I don't know...the allocations just come to me. If they don't I'm just as happy.

Peace!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts
Default LWBs

in terms of value retention, are the LWB seats way more desirable than the sport sofas? Was this proven with the 991.1 Gt3 a few years down the line? You lose stuff like heated seats and adjustability.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:18 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,224 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Norcalgt3
in terms of value retention, are the LWB seats way more desirable than the sport sofas? Was this proven with the 991.1 Gt3 a few years down the line? You lose stuff like heated seats and adjustability.
Sit in them and decide. The base seats in my 991.1 GT3 were amazingly comfortable. The LWBs in my RS are nice, but being taller they are not exactly the most comfortable. Track great, driving around town is torture. My dad and brother cant fit in my RS due to the LWBs and are pissed at me for ordering them. Since my 991.2 GT3 is for everyday use I am ordering it with the base 4 ways. I could give a crap about the next buyer.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

This is a good question. Are the 18 way or non LWB cars worth more than the $2k difference in price. Would a buyer pass on a non LWB car just because of the seats. How many guys really spend at least 50% on the track which would make sense then to go with LWB's. They definitely have a cool factor but at a cost in non track driving comfort.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
This is a good question. Are the 18 way or non LWB cars worth more than the $2k difference in price. Would a buyer pass on a non LWB car just because of the seats. How many guys really spend at least 50% on the track which would make sense then to go with LWB's. They definitely have a cool factor but at a cost in non track driving comfort.
All you need is a couple of days on track to make the LWB worthwhile.
If DD a gt3 I would defiantly get 18ways. If it's a second/third car LWB all the way.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by SKY57
People paying over for houses mainly for 2 reasons:
1. Houses appreciate in value, 30% a year in GTA for 2016
2. Limited supply for houses in good area
High demand + low supply + low finance rate lead to this crazy market today.

Non of above applies to cars.
Well, houses don't appreciate in value, land does. And so do some GT cars. Second, the limited supply issue certain applies here, as does the high demand and low finance rates. Basically everything you listed above applies to the GT3 discussion, though you left out the wealth effect caused by our bubble equity market.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread