Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by Manifold
Wound up replacing the rear tires, looking forward to trying the car with both front and rear grip this weekend at a new track.

Here's my hypothesis regarding what's happening with the rear tires (could be totally wrong): the RWS and e-diff are reducing the rear tire wear, enabling the rear tires to seemingly outlast the front tires, but putting all that power down is causing the tires to heat cycle out before the tread is worn. By contrast, the front tires aren't getting hammered by the power, and thus less issue with heat cycling, but are working hard to find grip when cornering, especially during corner entry, and thus still have decent grip by the time the tread is worn.
Plausible theory, manifold. Interestingly, my trofeo R wore opposite to my mpsc2. The rears wore out way before the front did and also wore fairly evenly compared to the cup2 that wore the outer edge despite -2.9 camber. It could have been due to 113F temps, but I'm mounting another set of trofeo R next week and don't plan on doing any 113F track days on it, lol.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wound up replacing the rear tires, looking forward to trying the car with both front and rear grip this weekend at a new track.

Here's my hypothesis regarding what's happening with the rear tires (could be totally wrong): the RWS and e-diff are reducing the rear tire wear, enabling the rear tires to seemingly outlast the front tires, but putting all that power down is causing the tires to heat cycle out before the tread is worn. By contrast, the front tires aren't getting hammered by the power, and thus less issue with heat cycling, but are working hard to find grip when cornering, especially during corner entry, and thus still have decent grip by the time the tread is worn.
Hum, interesting thoughts. I'm about through my 1st set, original OEM Cup2's - FWIW I have a 2nd set of OEM 20" wheels, and just received, last week a what now seems to be a trial set of Forgeline 19" rims.

The first set of 20 inch Cup2's, still have a fair amount of tread left rear tread left, so if there's an issue with the rears, my guess is it may come down to heat cycles. The OEM tire sets problem is left front wear. My tire supplier is loath to, and recommending against, replace only one front tire. Best guess is, with track use, the Cups may be running x2 front pair per rear set, subject to whatever limits heat cycling might have on the rear rubber.

I'll try to figure that out with using the new 20" front tire rubber on the 2nd set of OEM 20" wheels.

As for the 19" rims, product availability has me using 235/40 rubber in the front with 325/30x19's in the rear. Have to see if the present guestimated @2 to 1 fronts to rear wear ratio would remain the same or?????? I'm wondering as my guess is the rear 325 tires will/should be running a little bit cooler, and there is a bit more material to wear vs. the OEM 305mm 20" fitment; and conversely the fronts, at 235 vs. OEM 245, a bit hotter, and slightly less rubber. mlp
Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Absolutely, no way one person can fit the bar in
Did it with my 15 year old son. Needed his help to get the bar in /out.

Definitely an 8 hour job or so. Take your time. Measure three (or five) times, cut once.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...llation-6.html
Old 07-16-2015, 12:30 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of Dunlops more than a month ago because Cup2s were hard to get. I'll be using these Dunlops on the track for the first time in two weeks.

Can anyone comment on what hot tire pressures work best with the Dunlops? There have been many posts here about tire pressures for Cup2s and Trofeo Rs, but I don't recall any posts about the best tire pressure range for the Dunlops.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:41 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
I bought a set of Dunlops more than a month ago because Cup2s were hard to get. I'll be using these Dunlops on the track for the first time in two weeks.

Can anyone comment on what hot tire pressures work best with the Dunlops? There have been many posts here about tire pressures for Cup2s and Trofeo Rs, but I don't recall any posts about the best tire pressure range for the Dunlops.

Thanks!
Great question that I was going to eventually ask myself, but my set of dunlops haven't been mounted yet. I'm giving the Trofeo R one more try again. Hope someone with dunlop experience can chime in?
Old 07-16-2015, 03:17 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Great question that I was going to eventually ask myself, but my set of dunlops haven't been mounted yet. I'm giving the Trofeo R one more try again. Hope someone with dunlop experience can chime in?
Hey Joe,

Are you running a new set of Trofeo R's or take off's? Will be interested to see the laptime diff between the R's and Cup2's when both are new.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Hey Joe,

Are you running a new set of Trofeo R's or take off's? Will be interested to see the laptime diff between the R's and Cup2's when both are new.
New. No difference in times or grip (1.3G) between the 2. However, I was running the wrong pressures with trofeo R (they run much lower pressure than cup2), and then ran in 113F weather, so not a fair comparison. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a fair comparison with this next set of tires now that I know the proper pressure.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:31 AM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys may have covered this, but I'm seeing 991 GT3s now running 19s with R7s successfully. The only change required is the flip of a lower control arm bolt. Has anyone on this thread invested in a set of 19s and run Hoosiers or the like? If so, how much better were they than the cup 2s or Trofeos? Thx
Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 AM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CARFANATICA
You guys may have covered this, but I'm seeing 991 GT3s now running 19s with R7s successfully. The only change required is the flip of a lower control arm bolt. Has anyone on this thread invested in a set of 19s and run Hoosiers or the like? If so, how much better were they than the cup 2s or Trofeos? Thx
I don't think 19's over the 380mm steel brake rotors are too much of a mystery or stretch. The 410mm front PCCB's are another matter. It can be done, but it's TIGHT, & then there's a bit of an issue with what's the appropriate rubber.

FWIW, I just spent yesterday at our local track on 19" Forgelines sporting 235/40 x19 in the front and 325/30 x19 in the rear to come as close to the OEM 20" final tire diameter sizes. As best I could tell, the 235F/325R 19" tire combo worked well - I couldn't tell much difference vs. the stock 245F/305R fitment. HTH
Old 07-19-2015, 05:34 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
New. No difference in times or grip (1.3G) between the 2. However, I was running the wrong pressures with trofeo R (they run much lower pressure than cup2), and then ran in 113F weather, so not a fair comparison. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a fair comparison with this next set of tires now that I know the proper pressure.
For the record, I tried using the same psc2s I had during our extra-toasty private day, and they only do 1.1g. That's worse than supersports . so basically they cooked on that day, even though fronts have about 1 day of tread and rears about 50%. Thinking about trying Trofeos next.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
For the record, I tried using the same psc2s I had during our extra-toasty private day, and they only do 1.1g. That's worse than supersports . so basically they cooked on that day, even though fronts have about 1 day of tread and rears about 50%. Thinking about trying Trofeos next.
Yeah, in that weather and with k spec tires I'm not surprised that you were only getting 1.1G. Give the trofeo a shot!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Rear trofeo R tires after 6 track days. Tires were probably dead after 4.5 days.
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

^ Wear pattern of the Trofeo R doesn't look bad, but so far I'm not seeing a strong case for using them instead of Sport Cup 2, considering grip, durability, usability in rain, needed camber, and cost?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

^ Wear pattern of the Trofeo R doesn't look bad, but so far I'm not seeing a strong case for using them instead of Sport Cup 2, considering grip, durability, usability in rain, needed camber, and cost?
I think they are good alternative to the MPSC2. They downside is that they cost a touch more, the breakaway is not as progressive, and they are pretty sensitive to pressure changes.

The grip is at least as good as MPSC2, but I'm hoping to prove that they grip better at Laguna next week!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

^
Joe,
what tire pressures do you rec for the Trofeos?
thanks!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal