Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ps2 on my spyder held 1.1G
Mpss should too
Ah maybe at the start of the session, but not 20 minutes in, yeah?
Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by Mech33
Sure, but no tire I have run yet grips just as well at the end of the session. All the numbers I quote are best lap/session numbers
Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
MPSS are not all-seasons but held up to 1.2Gs. They had a different issue - outside shoulders would wear in just few days, with the rest of the thread almost untouched, regardless of camber. Probably because outside compound was much softer.

All-seasons may have been an exaggerations, but my point is that there are plenty of tires at 1/2 of MPSC2 price that hold 1.2Gs on first day and on 6th or even 10th day (e.g., AD08R), and MPSC2 lasts half as long, and is faster only the first 3-4 days. Got to pay to play...
Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
MPSS are not all-seasons but held up to 1.2Gs. They had a different issue - outside shoulders would wear in just few days, with the rest of the thread almost untouched, regardless of camber. Probably because outside compound was much softer.

All-seasons may have been an exaggerations, but my point is that there are plenty of tires at 1/2 of MPSC2 price that hold 1.2Gs on first day and on 6th or even 10th day (e.g., AD08R), and MPSC2 lasts half as long, and is faster only the first 3-4 days. Got to pay to play...
My brother suffered that fate with MPSS on his E92 M3.

The trick is to convince the manufacturers of such tires to make 'em in our size. I'd kill for an appropriately-sized NT-01. Those things are sticky until they cord.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:48 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone had their new MPSC2 shaved and heat cycled before mounting them? I would be curious as to the changes.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:07 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Has anyone had their new MPSC2 shaved and heat cycled before mounting them? I would be curious as to the changes.
After slipping around a bit for the first few runs on my first set of MPSC2 tires, I have always had them heat cycled by Tire Rack since then. I noticed a big difference. They are always full of grip on the first run now.

I have recently wondered too whether shaving would make a difference. The new thread depth is 7.2/32". Shaving gets this down to 4/32". I wonder if turn-in would be noticeably quicker. I might try shaving with the next set. Thread wear is not very important to me, because my Cup2s always heat cycle out before the thread wears out.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:43 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My thoughts are that Michelin made this tire based off the MPSS idea of one tire fitting many driving styles. The wet issue fixed with deeper tread. The non-track guy gets his 300 wear rating. And the track focused guy gets his sticky street rubber tire. BUT...I believe the shaved/heat cycle method is for the track guy to get the most from it. No first day squirm under heavy braking, no excess tread left after heat cycled out. Just a thought
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Additional Input on the tires discussion...

I replaced my original MSPC2 last week. They were 10,000km / 6 track days old. Still some tread left but felt over heat cycled...

Fresh MPSC2. Did not changed anything else (same alignment, same lame driver... )

Weather was a little cooler but I was 3 secs faster yesterday with the new tires!

New VS Old makes a huge difference IMHO.
Any new tire will be faster then old one. But the most important is not how much you have thread remaining, but how many heat cycles did they go through.

Measuring a lap time in two different days, may be the same as measuring water temperature at two different parts of the ocean.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:17 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Maybe the Trofeos in Europe are different than the ones in the U.S. ...
It is possible. When Cup2s just came out, they were much faster then two years later. They might use a little different compound even at the same factory.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:41 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

New update:

1) I'm done with TrofeoR. Did a double duty track day yesterday with Ben and the tires gave out after the first session. There is still tread left on the tires, but the rear doesn't grip worth a darn anymore. It looks like once you hit the wear bars, you can say goodbye to grip and you end up with oversteer because the front are still gripping fine. Checked tire temps and they were even all of the way around: front, rear, middle, inner, outer all about 155F. I really miss running NT01 tires. Good all of the way to the end. I drove my buddy's Cayman GTS on NT01 for a few laps and had way more fun in his car than the GT3. New N spec MSPC2 are back on the car as of today. I haven't been on N spec MSPC2 since February. I hope the magic returns with those tires. My buddy wore out his dunlop sport maxx race OEM tires on his GT3 and ran Trofeo R for the first time yesterday too. He was underwhelmed as well. I'm never running Trofeo R again. Too fussy with tire temps and pressures. This is what the tires look like after 500 track miles/5 track days.

Fronts look fine and grip fine:

The rears still have some tread but are down to the wear bar

Old 09-21-2015, 12:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

The brakes: I still think the Ferodo DS1.11 are a winner. It looks like they last 50% longer than the PFC11 did too. We did 986 miles with PFC11 and 1461 miles with DS1.11. Plus those DS1.11 miles were driven on tracks that are much more brake intensive and driven in much higher temps. I've got a marathon track weekend coming up next weekend, so I swapped in a new set of pads. They look like they could still do 2 or more thill/sonoma days or 1 more laguna day, but the car will be getting the equivalent of 5 track days next weekend, so the pads came out.

Front pads:

Front AP rotors still look great

I checked the ceramic pucks and they still look just fine. I wonder if the people with cracking pucks are running OEM pads. OEM pads tend to taper and I wonder if it's the tapering that is causing the piston pucks to crack

Old 09-21-2015, 12:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I had a small 'incident' on track yesterday. Someone knocked a cone into the middle of the entry point for T2 at Sonoma. It was annoying to have to dodge the cone. Since I hate cone dodging (autocross pun intended), I decide to ram the cone out of the way.

That was not a good idea. I knocked the cone away, but also knocked loose the radiator mesh cover. Unfortunately, the only way to get it back on was to take off the bumper. Thankfully, it was fairly easy to do so.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:03 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Thanks for the update. I was about to ask about the mesh. Glad it was not a big deal.

Maybe tires are just getting cooked due to the heat? I remember the temperatures you measured were not too high, but it was early in the day, and maybe after cool down lap. I've noticed I'm not getting nearly as much grip and life out of MPSC2 in this heat.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Thanks for the update. I was about to ask about the mesh. Glad it was not a big deal.

Maybe tires are just getting cooked due to the heat? I remember the temperatures you measured were not too high, but it was early in the day, and maybe after cool down lap. I've noticed I'm not getting nearly as much grip and life out of MPSC2 in this heat.
TrofeoR have done will in the heat in the past. That 116F day it felt good until the rears wore down to the indicators and then fell apart. It's funny how it's not gradual, it's just sudden drop off. Ben thought I was nuts when I told him the car gripped fine. Then I got back in and it was all over the place. It got so bad Ben passed on his last 2 sessions for fear of crashing.

Tire temp measurement was done with no cool down. I came straight in hot and measured right away to make sure we had a good reading. This was after the tires fell apart too.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:16 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Your garage is so clean, it's disgusting!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal