Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:18 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll slightly hijack Joe's thread for some track updates of my own, since several were because of what Joe did. I've only had 1 track day (at Laguna Seca), but I think I can highlight the changes.

Pirelli Trofeo R - Great tires. I'm not sure if I'm pushing hard enough at LS to notice a huge difference. I'm about 1.5-2s off Joe's pace. They do feel super sticky and were very predictable. My concern remains the wear. I'm at Thunderhill 5-mile for 2 days in 2 weeks. We'll know better after that.

Castor Adjustment - Elephant Racing, alignment by Alekshop - Castor was over 11, and was rubbing, just like Joe. It's now back to 9. Combined with a fresh alignment and backing off the camber a little (now -3.2), the turn in feels way better. I'm still turning in too slow and learning, but the feel is much better now.

Ferodo pads and AP Racing rotors - Apex Performance (better price than Essex, and amazing communication) - Huge difference. I was just never comfortable with the PFC11s. One day at Laguna (which is hard on brakes) and I'm convinced. Bite is better, and the brakes are very predictable. The only downside is that AP racing doesn't yet make a rear rotor. Hopefully soon.

Wind Deflector - by Ed - worked great. Buffeting is no longer an issue.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I'll slightly hijack Joe's thread for some track updates of my own, since several were because of what Joe did. I've only had 1 track day (at Laguna Seca), but I think I can highlight the changes.

Pirelli Trofeo R - Great tires. I'm not sure if I'm pushing hard enough at LS to notice a huge difference. I'm about 1.5-2s off Joe's pace. They do feel super sticky and were very predictable. My concern remains the wear. I'm at Thunderhill 5-mile for 2 days in 2 weeks. We'll know better after that.

Castor Adjustment - Elephant Racing, alignment by Alekshop - Castor was over 11, and was rubbing, just like Joe. It's now back to 9. Combined with a fresh alignment and backing off the camber a little (now -3.2), the turn in feels way better. I'm still turning in too slow and learning, but the feel is much better now.

Ferodo pads and AP Racing rotors - Apex Performance (better price than Essex, and amazing communication) - Huge difference. I was just never comfortable with the PFC11s. One day at Laguna (which is hard on brakes) and I'm convinced. Bite is better, and the brakes are very predictable. The only downside is that AP racing doesn't yet make a rear rotor. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the update. If you've only done 1 track day, how are you already on new tires?? :O Sounds like you went right to massive camber. Did you drive Laguna with the new caster settings, or will that not be until Thunderhill?

As for the Ferodo pads / AP Racing combo, how is the brake noise on the street? And did you go with Ferodo pads on the rear, too?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:50 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks for the update. If you've only done 1 track day, how are you already on new tires?? :O Sounds like you went right to massive camber. Did you drive Laguna with the new caster settings, or will that not be until Thunderhill?

As for the Ferodo pads / AP Racing combo, how is the brake noise on the street? And did you go with Ferodo pads on the rear, too?
1 track day on these tires. 6 on the previous set (MPSC2). It was my 7th track day in the GT3 in 3 months of ownership. Castor was done for the LS day. Previous caster I had for 6 days days (4@TH, 2@LS)

Before the track day the Ferodo were silent. On the drive how, they were very very loud. I wouldn't take either as a representative sample, though, as I only had them installed a 3 days before the track day. Ferodo front and rear, yes. Original OEM rear rotor.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for posting that! Glad to hear you like the brake setup. I think you're gonna be happy with Trofeo R wear. They look to be at least as good as MPSC2 from that aspect. I wonder if my caster needs to be 9 rather than 8...

1 track day on these tires. 6 on the previous set (MPSC2). It was my 7th track day in the GT3 in 3 months of ownership.

Before the track day the Ferodo were silent. On the drive how, they were very very loud. I wouldn't take either as a representative sample, though, as I only had them installed a 3 days before the track day. Ferodo front and rear, yes. Original OEM rear rotor.
7th in 3 months! Nice! Mech33, trust us on this: The pads are loud on the street. No way around it. They were relatively quiet when first installed for me as well. After tracking, that changed. The pad deposit will soften the noise initally, but once scraped off from cold driving on the street, it will get loud. People will think you need a brake job. LOL
Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks for posting that! Glad to hear you like the brake setup. I think you're gonna be happy with Trofeo R wear. They look to be at least as good as MPSC2 from that aspect. I wonder if my caster needs to be 9 rather than 8...

7th in 3 months! Nice! Mech33, trust us on this: The pads are loud on the street. No way around it. They were relatively quiet when first installed for me as well. After tracking, that changed. The pad deposit will soften the noise initally, but once scraped off from cold driving on the street, it will get loud. People will think you need a brake job. LOL
2.5 months, but who's counting. :-) 5 in the next month. I'm probably going to have to change the tires after the 3rd, since that's Joe's open track day. (4 days on the tires). Maybe, they'll last 7 days, but that seems unlikely since the MPSC2 only went 6.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:13 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Default rear wing adjust?

Joe,
have you tried the more aggressive wing angle?
thx
Old 05-25-2015, 10:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Got x-mirage to work a bit better. Less stutter. Same lap. One is track app. The other is orthojoe video/data setup:

track app:

Solo DL/gopro/dashware:
Nice work, Joe.

I hope people will now stop saying (and complaining) that the Track App does not work.

One last time. It works.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

1 track day on these tires. 6 on the previous set (MPSC2). It was my 7th track day in the GT3 in 3 months of ownership. Castor was done for the LS day. Previous caster I had for 6 days days (4@TH, 2@LS)

So how did the new caster / alignment settings compare at Laguna vs. the original? And did you drive on track at all with stock alignment?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:49 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Nice work, Joe.

I hope people will now stop saying (and complaining) that the Track App does not work.

One last time. It works.
I for one am pleased to read this and see the video.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mech33
So how did the new caster / alignment settings compare at Laguna vs. the original? And did you drive on track at all with stock alignment?
I never drove with the factory alignment. It's hard to describe the difference between the previous alignment with the larger castor, but turn in just felt much more stable.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:23 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Just checked my fender liner, and with -3 camber, only one of my fronts (passenger) is touching the liner, and just barely - just a small shiny spot. Maybe it's because my car sits a tiny bit higher because of front lift?

My car is oversteery, but progressive and predictable with -3 front, -2.5 rear, 1mm/wheel of front toe out and 2mm/wheel rear toe in.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:25 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Just checked my fender liner, and with -3 camber, only one of my fronts (passenger) is touching the liner, and just barely - just a small shiny spot. Maybe it's because my car sits a tiny bit higher because of front lift?

My car is oversteery, but progressive and predictable with -3 front, -2.5 rear, 1mm/wheel of front toe out and 2mm/wheel rear toe in.
I have the lift as well, and I think Joe does too? The castor back at 9 made a big difference to me. There is also now plenty of clearance in the wheel well.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:26 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Nice work, Joe.

One last time. It works.
LOL. Well, I was one of the people bitching about the track app. It seems the updates have helped with the stability of the system. The inability to export video is a huge oversight, though. I hope they fix that soon.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

Max, I'm going to bet that if you do some more laps on the west side of thunderhill, you'll end up wearing through the liner.

I have the lift as well, and I think Joe does too? The castor back at 9 made a big difference to me. There is also now plenty of clearance in the wheel well.
Yes, I have the lift.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:33 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

So, after corresponding with a fellow rennlister who has good experience with the Trofeo R, it appears that my mismanagement of the tire pressure is the culprit.

I kept on increasing the rear tire pressure because it looked like the outer edges were rolling over, but in doing so, that destabilized the rear end. The trofeo R appear to like lower pressures than the MPSC2 do. It seems that 28-29psi front and 30-32 psi rear work well with the trofeo R. Lower pressures equal more grip, but also end up eating away the outer edges of the tire. I was running 30psiF and 35psiR, so that was likely the mistake. We'll find out soon enough!

Also, the Trofeo R allow for a much lesser slip angle and break away quicker than the PSC2 do, which would account for my decrease in confidence.

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Joe,
have you tried the more aggressive wing angle?
thx
I haven't. Will try driving the car with the correct pressures first before I try that.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:25 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

^When I ran the Trofeo R's max pressure recommended was 2 Bar hot- or 29 PSI. Worked really well at that pressure.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal