Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:02 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks. It sounds like you're describing the double apex line for turn 2? I've heard of it, but I've never tried it.
That sounds correct, though it is just one steering input. Learned it from a guy who raced mustangs and S200s (very different, I know). The 991 just seemed really planted with the trail braking there, and passengers always commented how smooth the transition was from trail braking to turn in to throttle.

As for turn 7, I know I can go flat, but my self preservation/fear instincts keep on kicking in. Give me some more time to get used to the speed.
Totally understood. I'm sure I'll lift too for a while. You're going much faster than I was in the 991S.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
That sounds correct, though it is just one steering input. Learned it from a guy who raced mustangs and S200s (very different, I know). The 991 just seemed really planted with the trail braking there, and passengers always commented how smooth the transition was from trail braking to turn in to throttle. Totally understood. I'm sure I'll lift too for a while. You're going much faster than I was in the 991S.
Yeah, I need to work on trail braking with this car. I'm not totally taking advantage of this rear engine setup otherwise.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

A few observations, just looking at DATA. I'm nowhere near as fast at this track as you are (need to break 2 yet!), but I also have a few of the same habits that i'm working on :-), this is not a critique, just data observations.

I think a few of these are the 1:57-1:56 times you are chasing:

1. Turn 1. You are coasting into the corner. Braking early. I know speeds are very high here, I do same thing. I'm guessing the car can carry closer to 100mph into turn 1. Brake a little later and get back on the gas to set the car.

2. Turn 3. If I recall this one is slightly off camber but i think you can carry a little more speed here, you are about .1-.2 g off from what you carried in turn 2

3 & 4. Turn 7. You are tentative on your application of throttle here. You get into it then back off then back in. If i recall this corner you can carry quite a bit of speed, east off throttle then gas to set the back end and turn. You may even be able to NOT lift on this corner and just brake at 8.

5. Turn 8. Coasting and tentative application of throttle.

6. Turn 9. You get into the gas, back off, jab it, back in. This is a blind corner and i ***** foot it over here, but you seem to have good confidence and the exit you have plenty of traction left.

7. Turn 10. Coasting. You get on brakes hard but are coasting into the corner. I remember this corner has a lot more traction than you think and is slightly banked.

8. The exist of 11. This is a really fun part of the track and jumping the area of the paint assuming no cones are there is stupid fun. You’re a little late getting to gas, so get to gas, settle the car, then floor it, don’t lift until 14 :-) You can see you have traction, you’re under 1g there.

9 & 10. The 14-15 turn sequence. First, the braking into 14, see the dips, you’re jabbing brake, maybe realizing you braked too early, then coasting, then back on brakes. You can see that in your seeing angle inputs, there isn’t any! You want a peak followed by a sloped release. Most of your other braking graphs are pretty good. You might be able to brake a little later, trail into 14, then constant radius accelerating out of 15. you can see you have plenty of traction here, and you see a dip where it looks like you straighten out a bit and gas it.
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
A few observations, just looking at DATA. I'm nowhere near as fast at this track as you are (need to break 2 yet!), but I also have a few of the same habits that i'm working on :-), this is not a critique, just data observations. I think a few of these are the 1:57-1:56 times you are chasing: 1. Turn 1. You are coasting into the corner. Braking early. I know speeds are very high here, I do same thing. I'm guessing the car can carry closer to 100mph into turn 1. Brake a little later and get back on the gas to set the car. 2. Turn 3. If I recall this one is slightly off camber but i think you can carry a little more speed here, you are about .1-.2 g off from what you carried in turn 2 3 & 4. Turn 7. You are tentative on your application of throttle here. You get into it then back off then back in. If i recall this corner you can carry quite a bit of speed, east off throttle then gas to set the back end and turn. You may even be able to NOT lift on this corner and just brake at 8. 5. Turn 8. Coasting and tentative application of throttle. 6. Turn 9. You get into the gas, back off, jab it, back in. This is a blind corner and i ***** foot it over here, but you seem to have good confidence and the exit you have plenty of traction left. 7. Turn 10. Coasting. You get on brakes hard but are coasting into the corner. I remember this corner has a lot more traction than you think and is slightly banked. 8. The exist of 11. This is a really fun part of the track and jumping the area of the paint assuming no cones are there is stupid fun. You’re a little late getting to gas, so get to gas, settle the car, then floor it, don’t lift until 14 :-) You can see you have traction, you’re under 1g there. 9 & 10. The 14-15 turn sequence. First, the braking into 14, see the dips, you’re jabbing brake, maybe realizing you braked too early, then coasting, then back on brakes. You can see that in your seeing angle inputs, there isn’t any! You want a peak followed by a sloped release. Most of your other braking graphs are pretty good. You might be able to brake a little later, trail into 14, then constant radius accelerating out of 15. you can see you have plenty of traction here, and you see a dip where it looks like you straighten out a bit and gas it.
Thanks for taking the time to evaluate! I will read it closely when I get home and respond.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:15 PM
blockbuster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few questions about PCCB vs. standard brakes (forgive me, I know this has been covered quite a lot already):

I had second generation PCCB on my 997 Turbo. After only one track session they made a terrible whistling sound. Very loud and annoying. Had to switch to after market steel for the rest of my ownership of the car.

Is the third generation PCCB better with regard to noise? Also, has anyone had much experience yet with 3rd generation PCCB in 991 GT3 on track? If so, have you had noise problems afterwards (during normal street use)? And, what is your estimate for the durability of the rotors and pads? How many track days would each last?

Also, does anyone know whether it is possible to upgrade to PCCB later if one buys a 991 GT3 with standard brakes?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:27 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not sure I agree that he's losing much time in the above spots. For instance, T3 is off camber, so it'll never be the same Gs as T2. I did forget one thing I noticed in this video and the one from last time. I think you are braking WAY too early before T14. You're braking at the banner and then slowly letting off. You can wait way longer to brake and turn in much later, carrying a lot more speed.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:41 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not an expert by any means but my throttle application would be way different to yours. Perhaps your car allows you to do this but I see you're waiting to get on the gas only when you're able to slam down on it. I prefer to more progressive into the throttle which lets me pick up the throttle faster and earlier. This give me more speed through the corner. You seem to be either waiting until you can go full throttle or slowing the car down enough to allow you to do that.

Personally, I try to be careful with entry speeds and progressively build those up because it's much harder to catch a car that loses it on entry vs exit. For me at least. I prefer to drive it home at the end of the day. I'm at 55's now with consistent 56's but to get to 54's and maybe even a 53, it's all in the braking, entry rolling speeds into the corner for me. By far the toughest bits to get right and scariest if you mess up.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

damn, I have to drive my a@@ off to get into 58's
3/26 u will see a LS7 in it.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
I'm not an expert by any means but my throttle application would be way different to yours. Perhaps your car allows you to do this but I see you're waiting to get on the gas only when you're able to slam down on it. I prefer to more progressive into the throttle which lets me pick up the throttle faster and earlier. This give me more speed through the corner. You seem to be either waiting until you can go full throttle or slowing the car down enough to allow you to do that.

Personally, I try to be careful with entry speeds and progressively build those up because it's much harder to catch a car that loses it on entry vs exit. For me at least. I prefer to drive it home at the end of the day. I'm at 55's now with consistent 56's but to get to 54's and maybe even a 53, it's all in the braking, entry rolling speeds into the corner for me. By far the toughest bits to get right and scariest if you mess up.
Sorry Joe, Robert said it but I agree and I'm fully aware new car, not proper set up etc. I'd be careful just like you. But yes, of the brake earlier and on the throttle much earlier.

Just 0.02c from a fellow drover who didn't even drive a 991 on track yet.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RobertR1
I'm not an expert by any means but my throttle application would be way different to yours. Perhaps your car allows you to do this but I see you're waiting to get on the gas only when you're able to slam down on it. I prefer to more progressive into the throttle which lets me pick up the throttle faster and earlier. This give me more speed through the corner. You seem to be either waiting until you can go full throttle or slowing the car down enough to allow you to do that. Personally, I try to be careful with entry speeds and progressively build those up because it's much harder to catch a car that loses it on entry vs exit. For me at least. I prefer to drive it home at the end of the day. I'm at 55's now with consistent 56's but to get to 54's and maybe even a 53, it's all in the braking, entry rolling speeds into the corner for me. By far the toughest bits to get right and scariest if you mess up.
Thanks! What you say makes a lot of sense to me and I think a correct criticism. I should be adding more progressive throttle sooner, but I have that fear/hesitation that I need to get over. You are observing correctly that I'm waiting until I know the car can handle wot, which is not the way to do it. I do have 'some' throttle early, but it's not progressive and not enough.

Originally Posted by mooty
damn, I have to drive my a@@ off to get into 58's 3/26 u will see a LS7 in it.
Yeah, but you're in a cayman, man! Lol!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sorry Joe, Robert said it but I agree and I'm fully aware new car, not proper set up etc. I'd be careful just like you. But yes, of the brake earlier and on the throttle much earlier. Just 0.02c from a fellow drover who didn't even drive a 991 on track yet.
What are you apologizing for? Lol. I appreciate any and all advice from people who know what they are talking about.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Forgot to mention:

FWIW, we did the oil change (Thanks MikeinCA for the great DIY) yesterday after 3 track days, 400 track miles, and 2000 total miles. Oil came out very clean! Watch out when you open the plug for the oil tank. It comes out fast and ended up splashing into the right rear wheel well and got all over everything. They made it difficult to get a 8mm hex wrench into the oil pain drain plugs too for some reason. Mike is right, there's no way to get an actually torque wrench in there. We had to use an allen key since the socket and wrench were too long. Switched to mobil 1 5w-50 (porsche approved) oil since the car is in CA and used primarily at the track.
My pleasure Joe, glad it was useful. You're absolutely right about the oil exiting the tank. I anticipated a quick flow and thought I had the catch pan positioned perfectly to lead the stream and even so it was only my cat like reflexes moving the pan that kept it from being a really big mess!

Enjoyed your Thunderhill vid.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

A few observations, just looking at DATA. I'm nowhere near as fast at this track as you are (need to break 2 yet!), but I also have a few of the same habits that i'm working on :-), this is not a critique, just data observations. I think a few of these are the 1:57-1:56 times you are chasing: 1. Turn 1. You are coasting into the corner. Braking early. I know speeds are very high here, I do same thing. I'm guessing the car can carry closer to 100mph into turn 1. Brake a little later and get back on the gas to set the car.
Turn 1 has always been and continues to be my weakest corner. Agree with you and know that this is what needs to be, but slowly working on this corner that has always given me the most fear.

2. Turn 3. If I recall this one is slightly off camber but i think you can carry a little more speed here, you are about .1-.2 g off from what you carried in turn 2 3 & 4.
I agree that I can be more aggressive with 4. 3 is tough because it is off camber, as Adamwest said.

Turn 7. You are tentative on your application of throttle here. You get into it then back off then back in. If i recall this corner you can carry quite a bit of speed, east off throttle then gas to set the back end and turn. You may even be able to NOT lift on this corner and just brake at 8.
Yes, turn 7 can be taken flat. I was able to do it on a few laps, but I'm still building confidence in the car. My second time out was better in terms of keeping my foot down. Maybe the 3rd time I will finally do it consistently.

5. Turn 8. Coasting and tentative application of throttle.
I do have some light throttle on entry with this corner. I know, because if I don't, the car runs wide and I can't add power until much later and my exit speeds suffers severely. The problem is, I'm not adding more power sooner.

6. Turn 9. You get into the gas, back off, jab it, back in. This is a blind corner and i ***** foot it over here, but you seem to have good confidence and the exit you have plenty of traction left.
Lol. This is because I'm not sure if I'm going to go too wide. It's a blind exit, so I lift just to make sure I'm going to make so I can peek over the hill. Bad habit!

7. Turn 10. Coasting. You get on brakes hard but are coasting into the corner. I remember this corner has a lot more traction than you think and is slightly banked.
The braking zone for this corner gives me more trouble than any other corner for some reason. I'm either too early or too late on the brakes

8. The exist of 11. This is a really fun part of the track and jumping the area of the paint assuming no cones are there is stupid fun. You’re a little late getting to gas, so get to gas, settle the car, then floor it, don’t lift until 14 :-) You can see you have traction, you’re under 1g there.
I'm usually flat through here. This particular lap I don't know why there is some throttle hesitation. I'm usually flat. My first time out I went wide deep into the paint and the car got really unsettled from the bumps. It was the first time I really felt the rear engine causing problems. It felt like the car was bucking like a horse. I haven't run wide there since.

9 & 10. The 14-15 turn sequence. First, the braking into 14, see the dips, you’re jabbing brake, maybe realizing you braked too early, then coasting, then back on brakes. You can see that in your seeing angle inputs, there isn’t any! You want a peak followed by a sloped release. Most of your other braking graphs are pretty good. You might be able to brake a little later, trail into 14, then constant radius accelerating out of 15. you can see you have plenty of traction here, and you see a dip where it looks like you straighten out a bit and gas it.
Yet another turn I have issues with the braking zone. In this lap I likely was braking too early, realized it, coasted, and then hit the brakes again. I'm having a tough time staying consistent with this braking zone. I need to select a visual marker.

Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I'm not sure I agree that he's losing much time in the above spots. For instance, T3 is off camber, so it'll never be the same Gs as T2. I did forget one thing I noticed in this video and the one from last time. I think you are braking WAY too early before T14. You're braking at the banner and then slowly letting off. You can wait way longer to brake and turn in much later, carrying a lot more speed.
Agree with you on turn 3
You're correct with 14 as well.

It's good to know that my personal critiques mirror most of what you guys are saying.

Appreciate all of the input!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Thanks again!
Trust me, I have ALL these issues at TH :-) !!!!! will get to work on them end of march, my 2nd time there. I'd LOVE to see a 1:58 in my current car, but we'll see. And I agree with you guys on turn 3, i forgot but it is quite a bit off camber.

That said, i find the data analysis side of this fun, once you know what you're looking at, combined with the video, it's REALLY easy to see bad habits, and I have a "LOT" of them. A couple other guys i track with down here are data nerds and we have a fun time critiquing each others sessions. Makes for good bench racing.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:06 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I find the data analysis side of this fun, once you know what you're looking at, combined with the video, it's REALLY easy to see bad habits, and I have a "LOT" of them. A couple other guys i track with down here are data nerds and we have a fun time critiquing each others sessions. Makes for good bench racing.
+1

I miss the good old days when several of my pals had the same DA system. We exchanged files frequently and I learned a LOT. Now that I'm racing and using a MoTeC system, I feel like an island no one can reach.

Chris, your analysis for Joe was brilliant! Can I send you my files and get the same? I'll pay you!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal