Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:17 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 633 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I wonder if I can get the dealer to disconnect the paddles until a replacement arrives? I know this was easy in the past. Does anyone know if it's easy on the current wheel? Seems like that might at least let me run to auto for Friday?
That's a good idea!
Old 06-08-2015, 02:19 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Looks like you were running higher pressures like me as well. I've been told that the tires work better with 28-29psi. We'll shoot for that Friday and see if the grip is better.
Are you guys having any luck at all with the TPMS on track?

If the starting pressure drops too low (26 psi) it goes blank, and it seems to take forever to show up again with no logical behavior.

I love being able to see the tire pressure live on track, when it works. Anybody have a recipe for success?
Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Are you guys having any luck at all with the TPMS on track?

If the starting pressure drops too low (26 psi) it goes blank, and it seems to take forever to show up again with no logical behavior.

I love being able to see the tire pressure live on track, when it works. Anybody have a recipe for success?
Mine works fine and I started the past two days at 24 (though tpms read 25). It works perfect for me on the track, except I can't stand the stupid alert every 10 minute. Setting it to circuit pressure didn't seem to do anything.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have found the trick with the TPM system is to never let the tyres down too low at the beginning of the day. This way you don't need to go into Race Mode on TPMs. I find the tyres work well between 30/34 & 32/36 hot so for my first session if its dry I drop to 26/30 cold (i.e. drop pressures 3psi a tyre before going put). This usually means they peak out at 36/39 during the session. They stay pretty nice until 33/37 then they drop off. Once this initial session is run I can then drop them down to get my target hot temp without upsetting the system and it stays reliable all day. For example after such a session I would bleed another 2psi from each tyre. Probably by the third session i would drop another 2psi (so 7 psi now total but never once going bellow the 26psi threshold that upsets the TPM). If its a hot day or Im pushing on I may need to drop a further 1psi during the day. At the end of the day when the car is cold I find my fronts are sitting around 22 and my rears 26. I then set the pressures using Race Mode to get rid of the bing bing and on my way home I fill up at a gas station with air and fuel and release the Race Mode. I learnt all this the hard way like most circulating teh track with a "bing bing" in my ear (good reason to stick between 7000-9000 rpm because then you cant hear it LOL!).
Old 06-08-2015, 02:57 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Looks like you were running higher pressures like me as well. I've been told that the tires work better with 28-29psi. We'll shoot for that Friday and see if the grip is better.
I don't know why you guys choose to ignore the advice of others like myself that have run Trofeo R tires, but maybe you'll listen to the advice of the manufacturer:http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/p...rofeo_R_EN.pdf

In this publication and in my previous posts, the ideal pressure is 2 bar hot. Now I know this sounds low to you, but trust me and Pirelli this is the sweet spot for maximum grip, which is just a tad below R6, and actually better when ambients are less than 60- you will need to wait a while for that at thill! At the pressures you are running, 4 psi higher, they are far from ideal and tend to be "greasy". I'll find our thread on the Trofeo R from 2+ years ago and post for more good setup info.

Edit here is the thread from three years ago when these first came out and all of the track junkies in the 997.2 gt3 forum started using them. Pay particular attention to the track reports and how critical it is to manage the pressures to 28 psi.https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-r-report.html

Last edited by montoya; 06-08-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by montoya
I don't know why you guys choose to ignore the advice of others like myself that have run Trofeo R tires, but maybe you'll listen to the advice of the manufacturer:http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/p...rofeo_R_EN.pdf

In this publication and in my previous posts, the ideal pressure is 2 bar hot. Now I know this sounds low to you, but trust me and Pirelli this is the sweet spot for maximum grip, which is just a tad below R6, and actually better when ambients are less than 60- you will need to wait a while for that at thill! At the pressures you are running, 4 psi higher, they are far from ideal and tend to be "greasy". I'll find our thread on the Trofeo R from 2+ years ago and post for more good setup info.
Thanks, I do recall the trofeo R like lower pressure, but I didn't remember exactly how low (dumb, I know) and I was trying to fight the outer edges from rolling over by increasing pressure....

I'll get it right next time!....but it's gonna be hot..
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Mine works fine and I started the past two days at 24 (though tpms read 25). It works perfect for me on the track, except I can't stand the stupid alert every 10 minute. Setting it to circuit pressure didn't seem to do anything.
!! Mine tend to sit at "--" once I drop the pressures down, and they don't seem to recover and start showing up on track, in general. Am I supposed to drive the car around for a while at sane speeds until the pressures show up, and then I'm good to go?

I'm hoping things like this will get fixed with some software updates.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:12 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, I do recall the trofeo R like lower pressure, but I didn't remember exactly how low (dumb, I know) and I was trying to fight the outer edges from rolling over by increasing pressure....

Going to run windows up with the AC on?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:17 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

I know, read through the thread I just posted: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-r-report.html

Lots of good info here from hard track users. I had pleanty of hot days on the trofeos, just need to take care not to go out too low and maybe bleed them after a few warm up laps.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I accidentally left my AC on one session this weekend. About half way through the session an alert popped up that said limited power available and cut my throttle. It wasn't a persistent error. I turned the AC off and everything was fine, but would have been scary in a corner.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya
I know, read through the thread I just posted: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-r-report.html

Lots of good info here from hard track users. I had pleanty of hot days on the trofeos, just need to take care not to go out too low and maybe bleed them after a few warm up laps.
Thanks for the link. Running pressures of 30/35 would explain why my back end felt loose when I was at Sonoma 2 weeks ago. I ran the pressure disparity because it looked like my rears were rolling over and I thought the back end was loose because they were rolling over.....
Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'm pretty sure it's a track rule that windows have to be down.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

I've run almost every track day with air con especially when I'm taking passengers for a few laps. In NZ we have no rules about windows down in fact most prefer them up for safety as we don't use window nets to keep our arms in the car should we get turned over. Never had an issue with any warnings about power reduction. Something odd there. Wonder if it just a coincidence and related to the gearbox issues?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=orthojoe;12339802]Super tough question since that really depends on track layout and driving style. For pure track, I suggest start off with -2.7 on all 4 corners and go from there, but that is based on my tracks and my driving style.

Thanks for giving us a data point on OEM rotor longevity. 12 days on the front with what type of pads?

Thanks for the responses. I know it's not a black and white question on camber but the more input by experienced track guys the better!

My pads were the stock which are Pagid p90 FF (I think higher end street pads) but I took them down to 1mm on the front when the rotors also met their end...I probably should have changed out earlier 3-5mm..but I didn't...moving this week to PFC 11s all 4 corners and Trying Endless RF-650..back at Road ATL this weekend.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 613 Posts

I accidentally left my AC on one session this weekend. About half way through the session an alert popped up that said limited power available and cut my throttle. It wasn't a persistent error. I turned the AC off and everything was fine, but would have been scary in a corner.
I ran with AC on at 105 F heat last year, and it was faster than with AC off :-). I guess at these temperatures driver comfort is a bigger influence than power drain by AC. No error messages.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal