Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by facefixr
Another. I must say you dont hear the sound breaking up on the app itself but the lock up of the data happens at least twice a lap for 1-2 seconds.
So playback on the phone itself stutters just like the video you posted? My experience has been that playback on the phone itself is fine, but when you try to record/mirror the recording, the output I get stutters just like yours.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont understand your meaning.

1. if u mean a single tire with diff compound inside to outside, then look for manufacturer's guidance of temp range.
Yes, #1. I'm thinking that stickier compound at the outside of the Sport Cup 2 N0 may mean higher temp on the outside, so that could affect what the target temps need to be at the inside, middle, and outside when dialing in the camber.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:29 PM
facefixr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
So playback on the phone itself stutters just like the video you posted? My experience has been that playback on the phone itself is fine, but when you try to record/mirror the recording, the output I get stutters just like yours.
the video playback on the phone is good but still shows data lock up...so while the video continues the steering input etc will hang up for a few seconds then catch up. usually 2-3 times per lap. and always at the end/beginning of laps. gonna look into something more like your setup i think.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

the video playback on the phone is good but still shows data lock up...so while the video continues the steering input etc will hang up for a few seconds then catch up. usually 2-3 times per lap. and always at the end/beginning of laps. gonna look into something more like your setup i think.
I've had no issues with video playback on the phone.

To download/export the Track App video I would suggest using QuickTime (on a Mac running Yosemite) with an iPhone running iOS 8.xx

My previous post on exporting.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/883831-downloading-porsche-track-app-videos-from-an-iphone-a-how-to.html

Also, for what it's worth, it's helpful to set your iPhone in Airplane mode but with WiFi on.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:37 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yes, #1. I'm thinking that stickier compound at the outside of the Sport Cup 2 N0 may mean higher temp on the outside, so that could affect what the target temps need to be at the inside, middle, and outside when dialing in the camber.
I agree on different temps for different compounds and that softer compound generally would heat up slightly more given same load and speed. But thinking how these compounds would work within the same tire, it seems that it needs to be reversed - harder compound withstands more friction, so to get even wear of the tire, harder compound should bear more load and thus potentially get hotter. Loading both compounds the same would cause premature wear of the soft part and reduced tire life. Tough to say what's going to factor in more - more heat on softer compound due to higher friction ability or more heat on harder compound due to more load.

Anyway, I bought a set of new MPSC2s and a pyrometer, and will share findings in few weeks.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I agree on different temps for different compounds and that softer compound generally would heat up slightly more given same load and speed. But thinking how these compounds would work within the same tire, it seems that it needs to be reversed - harder compound withstands more friction, so to get even wear of the tire, harder compound should bear more load and thus potentially get hotter. Loading both compounds the same would cause premature wear of the soft part and reduced tire life. Tough to say what's going to factor in more - more heat on softer compound due to higher friction ability or more heat on harder compound due to more load.

Anyway, I bought a set of new MPSC2s and a pyrometer, and will share findings in few weeks.
With 2.0 cambers, I'm seeing a bit more overall wear towards the outside, but the wear pattern is a bit 'weird' across the width (I don't remember the specifics, and don't think I took a photo), so I'm thinking that there may be complex stuff going on with the way the tire is deforming, wearing, and heating up, given the tread pattern and use of multiple compounds (unlike a slick with no tread and only one compound).

Since the wear isn't too extreme towards the outside, I'm hoping that 1.5 cambers won't result in unacceptably uneven wear, and I plan to play with with pressures as needed, thinking that a slightly higher pressure should shift the contact patch towards the center of the tire, if needed.

Another factor is that the tires appear to be heat-cycling out before they wear out, so it's not really necessary to keep the wear totally even in order to maximize the tire life, and instead I'm giving priority to maximizing grip and handling.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-05-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way, GM sells a zinc/phosphorus additive that I use in the 930 oil...great insurance. No cats so I don't care about the cat issues --
Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 PM
facefixr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I've had no issues with video playback on the phone.

To download/export the Track App video I would suggest using QuickTime (on a Mac running Yosemite) with an iPhone running iOS 8.xx

My previous post on exporting.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-a-how-to.html

Also, for what it's worth, it's helpful to set your iPhone in Airplane mode but with WiFi on.
do you mean the airplane mode while aquiring data on track??
Old 08-05-2015, 11:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

do you mean the airplane mode while aquiring data on track??
Yes
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Got my GT3 back today with cambers set back to 1.5, drove the car a bit on the road, and immediately noticed a significant difference in the feel of the car. Steering is less heavy, response to steering is generally better, and feels more planted, just as I remembered it feeling before I increased the cambers to 2.0. I'm surprised how sensitive the feel of the car is to the camber. Looking forward to trying it on track this weekend (all track miles so far have been with 2.0 cambers).
Old 08-06-2015, 12:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by Manifold
Got my GT3 back today with cambers set back to 1.5, drove the car a bit on the road, and immediately noticed a significant difference in the feel of the car. Steering is less heavy, response to steering is generally better, and feels more planted, just as I remembered it feeling before I increased the cambers to 2.0. I'm surprised how sensitive the feel of the car is to the camber. Looking forward to trying it on track this weekend (all track miles so far have been with 2.0 cambers).
Keep us updated!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Keep us updated!
x-post

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12497756
Old 08-28-2015, 08:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

This thread has been kind of dead lately, so I'll try to inject a little life into it, but not much going on.

1) I had a talk with John @ BGB regarding the setup on the GT3, so I have the following setup based on his recommendations:
Front camber -2.7
Front toe out 1.5mm each side
Front caster 9.5 degrees
Front sway bar stiff
Rear camber -2.4
Rear toe in 3mm each side
Rear sway bar middle

I haven't driven the car on track yet, but Chris has, and he thinks the setup is perfect. Outer edge wear in the rear is being sacrificed, but it does look like you need to sacrifice it in order to get the proper dynamics. I'll see for myself next Saturday at thill with PCA.

2) I'm still not enamored with the Trofeo R. I've got a set of N spec MPSC2 (finally) from Damon @ Tire rack sitting in the garage waiting to go on next. The 2nd set of Trofeo R are still wearing more on the rear tires than the front. Very strange since the MPSC2 wore more on the front than the rear. Both tires are good for 4-5 track days.

3) Ten track days on the AP rotors and Ferodo pads:

Front AP rotors still look pretty good for 10 days of track use

Front Ferodo DS1.11 pads:

Rear Ferodo DS1.11 pads:

The rear OEM rotors still look great and barely have any cracks at all.

4) RSS makes adjustable thrust arm bushings now that don't require a spacer/adapter:

5) A pic of the Tarett LCA monoball ends:

6) The car never smokes on startup anymore and barely burns any oil on track.

Last edited by orthojoe; 08-28-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

6) The car never smokes on startup anymore and barely burns any oil on track.
sounds like she is finally broken in. How many miles?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Todd B
sounds like she is finally broken in. How many miles?
8238 total miles.
2075 track miles.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal