Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
What's the reasoning for getting monoballs? With this car two ***** are often not enough, so going mono seems counterintuitive
Lol! Very true, max!!

After adding the solid adjustable thrust arm bushings in the control arm (to fix excess caster), there was a bunch of preload transferred to the rubber lca end bushing. My installer recommended going to the monoball to address the issue. No more binding/preload now with the monoball bushing.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

New updates!

1) Alignment: So, it turns out that my alignment specs weren't entirely accurate. The guy that did my last alignment no longer works at the shop I use anymore so the owner did my alignment this time only to discover that the front wasn't at -2.9, but only about -2.4. The rear was at -2.9. He was only able to push the front camber down to -2.6 before running out of threads in the lower control arm. I'm running solid adjustable thrust arm bushings (RSS now makes them in the right size so you don't need to use a spacer anymore) and tarrett monoballs for the Lower control arms now, so the front probably doesn't need as much negative camber anymore either. So, current alignment specs:
-2.6 camber F, 9.5 caster
-3.0 camber R, 2.9mm toe in each side (~6mm total toe in rear)
I was at Laguna last Thursday. The car still has a tendency to understeer on entry and oversteer on exit, but it's not bad. I still hesitate to put down the power on exit, but maybe it's just me.
As far as wear goes, the Trofeo R look they are wearing perfectly evenly now:
Front

Rear

2) Trofeo R. At this point I am fully committed into saying that despite what Chris Harris and others have said, the Trofeo R do NOT grip better than MPSC2. Certainly not a 2 second difference. Chris Harris must have been running on MPSC2 that had several heat cycles over the sponsored Trofeo R he was given. Pressures on the trofeo R were set to 28R/29R hot, and lateral Gs hit 1.3G before breakaway. This is using a calibrated internal accelerometer on the AiM solo DL. Not peak Gs, sustained Gs on a flat surface with no dips or camber. NO DIFFERENT than MPSC2. I know others swear the Trofeo R grip better, but for me, it doesn't. This is my 2nd set of Trofeo R. I personally like the MPSC2 breakaway characteristics (more progressive) more than the trofeo R as well, which might be the reason for my hesitation on power out with the car lately. I'm going back to MPSC2 after this... if I can find them....

3) Brakes. AP rotors and Ferodo DS1.11 brakes are holding up like champs! 9 track days (3 at Laguna seca and one in 113F heat), 994 track miles, and both rotors and pads look GREAT. Consistent and great performance too. Zero Fade. No overheat. No discolored calipers.

Front pads, DS1.11, 994 track miles and 9 track days:

Rear pads, DS1.11, 994 track miles and 9 track days:

Front rotors, AP racing rotors, 994 track miles and 9 track days:

Rear rotors (OEM) with 20 track days and 1980 track miles on them:

Old 08-01-2015, 02:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Video from Laguna. I moved my rear facing camera to the left rear side to change things up. Only managed a 1:39 this time, which is slower than my 1:38 last time out. Lots comments from drivers about poor track conditions at Laguna lately, so that could be part of it. Regardless, though, I should be able to do better and the car certainly can do better. It was fun to win one of these, though!

Fastest lap time of the day in the fastest class. LOL!

GPS exhaust switch coupled with turnaway pipe continues to pass 90dB sound at MRLS with flying colors! Thanks, Mech33!!!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

One more thing:

The track app. I'm done with it. You need an external GPS and it's not worth the extra effort at this point. My AiM solo AND a transponder I was using was 3 SECONDS off of what the track app showed.
Also, the track app somehow added in an extra lap and time that never existed.

Hopefully there will be an update....
Old 08-01-2015, 04:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Also,
The car didn't burn any oil this last track day. I've had to add about 1/4 to 1/3 a quart of oil per day in the past. Nothing this time. Using 5w-50 mobile one. Car rarely smokes on start up now too and when it does, only smokes a little
Old 08-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Regarding alignment, I was talking with a pro racer yesterday, who has a 991 GT3, has tracked it, and is owner of a well-known race shop. It was his opinion that the car is set up very well from the factory for track use, and that even increasing camber from 1.5 to 2.0 degrees (as I've done) can make the car worse overall. I asked about tire wear, and it was his opinion that adjusting tire pressures rather than camber may be a better way to address that. I never tracked the car with the factory setup, and am tempted to give it a try. It did feel better to me on the road with the factory setup, though of course that may not tell us much about track behavior. In any case, he's a big fan of the 991 GT3, and feels that it's really not far from a proper race car.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Joe, I just want to say how much I appreciate you taking the time to post everything in your thread. It's a fountain of useful information for those of us who would like to track more seriously.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Also,
The car didn't burn any oil this last track day. I've had to add about 1/4 to 1/3 a quart of oil per day in the past. Nothing this time. Using 5w-50 mobile one. Car rarely smokes on start up now too and when it does, only smokes a little
How long have you been running the 5w-50?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great Posts Joe. A wealth of knowledge here. Many thanks...
Old 08-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One more thing:

The track app. I'm done with it.
Hey Joe, there was a thread in the GT4 forum with a new European owner who was saying how good the track app is when used with std iPhone - I think you actually commented in the thread. Is the GT4 app the same as the 3? And it works for some and not for others?

PS - congrats on the trophy, nice job!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
Regarding alignment, I was talking with a pro racer yesterday, who has a 991 GT3, has tracked it, and is owner of a well-known race shop. It was his opinion that the car is set up very well from the factory for track use, and that even increasing camber from 1.5 to 2.0 degrees (as I've done) can make the car worse overall. I asked about tire wear, and it was his opinion that adjusting tire pressures rather than camber may be a better way to address that. I never tracked the car with the factory setup, and am tempted to give it a try. It did feel better to me on the road with the factory setup, though of course that may not tell us much about track behavior. In any case, he's a big fan of the 991 GT3, and feels that it's really not far from a proper race car.
I hear what you're saying, but then remind myself of a few things:
1). Porsche gives the GT cars adjustable lower control arms for a reason. They don't offer it on non GT cars. If you watch the Chris Harris video on the GT4 with AP, he highlights the adjustable control arms to allow for more camber. Why would he do that and add that if factory alignment is ideal? Factory alignment is ideal for street use since it is a street car.

2). Cup cars. These guys are running -4.0 camber. The suspension between the cups and our GT3 is not drastically different

Originally Posted by Drifting
Joe, I just want to say how much I appreciate you taking the time to post everything in your thread. It's a fountain of useful information for those of us who would like to track more seriously.
Thanks, man. I enjoy doing it and many others here have done the same for me!

Originally Posted by Mech33
How long have you been running the 5w-50?
Since the first oil change at 2000 miles. Car is currently at 7500 miles and we did another change at 7200 miles.

Originally Posted by Macca
Great Posts Joe. A wealth of knowledge here. Many thanks...
Thanks to you for all your contributions as well!

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Hey Joe, there was a thread in the GT4 forum with a new European owner who was saying how good the track app is when used with std iPhone - I think you actually commented in the thread. Is the GT4 app the same as the 3? And it works for some and not for others?

PS - congrats on the trophy, nice job!
The apps between the Gt3 and Gt4 should be the same. I don't know why our experiences are not the same. I'm using a dedicated spare iPhone 5 that is wiped clear of all apps and is used solely for the app.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So, would you recommend to others to take out 0w-40 at delivery and put 5w-50?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 9972RS
So, would you recommend to others to take out 0w-40 at delivery and put 5w-50?
Unfortunately I have no data or proof to say that one oil weight is better than the other. For me, 5w-50 makes more sense because of the climate I live in and my heavy track use. We don't have freezing temps out here, and the heavier weight is supposedly more protective In extreme conditions. It is also a Porsche approved oil for the car.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 298 Posts

Joe and others, what are you guys running for tire pressures at the track?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Unfortunately I have no data or proof to say that one oil weight is better than the other. For me, 5w-50 makes more sense because of the climate I live in and my heavy track use. We don't have freezing temps out here, and the heavier weight is supposedly more protective In extreme conditions. It is also a Porsche approved oil for the car.
I'm using Motul 300v 5w-50.

It's great. Not going back. To either Mobile1 or another weight/viscosity.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal