Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Joe and others, what are you guys running for tire pressures at the track?
Trofeo R: 28F/29R hot
MPSC2: 32F/34R hot, but others have said lower is better

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm using Motul 300v 5w-50.

It's great. Not going back. To either Mobile1 or another weight/viscosity.
Why is it better than the Mobil 1? How do you know that it's definitively better?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Trofeo R: 28F/29R hot
MPSC2: 32F/34R hot, but others have said lower is better

Why is it better than the Mobil 1? How do you know that it's definitively better?
At least for the factory-fill Mobile 1, it's street-based, not race-based Mobile 1, which lacks certain additives, esp. zinc and phosphorus levels for film strength. Greater degradation at high operating engine temps. OEM oil fills (i.e. street-based) are more for emissions, than endurance and performance.

Also, Motul 300v is ester-based and does not breakdown until over 500 degrees F.

Of course, my mechanic also told me to use Motul 300v.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Orthojoe's track build journal

^ thanks!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

I hear what you're saying, but then remind myself of a few things:
1). Porsche gives the GT cars adjustable lower control arms for a reason. They don't offer it on non GT cars. If you watch the Chris Harris video on the GT4 with AP, he highlights the adjustable control arms to allow for more camber. Why would he do that and add that if factory alignment is ideal? Factory alignment is ideal for street use since it is a street car.

2). Cup cars. These guys are running -4.0 camber. The suspension between the cups and our GT3 is not drastically different
I continue to be baffled by the varying experiences and opinions of credible people regarding the camber. My own approach has been to keep the car as close to factory setup as possible, and since there are some reports of that working well for the track, I'm thinking that trying the 1.5 cambers may be worth a shot. Plus, as noted previously, the Sport Cup 2 tires have different compounds across the width, so optimum grip may mean more wear towards the outside shoulder (ie, contact patch may be good across the width, but faster wear of softer rubber may make it look like more camber is needed).

Regarding the cup cars, while many suspension components may be similar, my understanding is that cup cars run much higher spring rates, and have lower ride height and generally different suspension geometry and alignment. And using slicks likely also makes a big difference as far as optimal camber.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
Regarding the cup cars, while many suspension components may be similar, my understanding is that cup cars run much higher spring rates, and have lower ride height and generally different suspension geometry and alignment. And using slicks likely also makes a big difference as far as optimal camber.
Higher spring rates would lend to needing less negative camber rather than more, no?
Yes, slicks need more negative camber, but not a difference of 3.5 degrees (-1.5 vs -4.0). One degree (-3.0- vs -4.0) would be more likely, no?

I just can't buy into -1.5 camber as being ideal for the track.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Higher spring rates would lend to needing less negative camber rather than more, no?
Yes, slicks need more negative camber, but not a difference of 3.5 degrees (-1.5 vs -4.0). One degree (-3.0- vs -4.0) would be more likely, no?

I just can't buy into -1.5 camber as being ideal for the track.
My inexpert sense is that all of these factors interact as a system, so looking at camber in isolation from the other factors may not work. For example, when I mentioned to the pro racer that I changed my cambers from -1.5 to -2.0 and left everything else the same, his first comment was that the camber change would affect roll centers, something which I hadn't thought about - and only barely understand!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I continue to be baffled by the varying experiences and opinions of credible people regarding the camber. My own approach has been to keep the car as close to factory setup as possible, and since there are some reports of that working well for the track, I'm thinking that trying the 1.5 cambers may be worth a shot. Plus, as noted previously, the Sport Cup 2 tires have different compounds across the width, so optimum grip may mean more wear towards the outside shoulder (ie, contact patch may be good across the width, but faster wear of softer rubber may make it look like more camber is needed).

get a base aligement, say factory recommended.
track it.
use pyrometer measure across tread, based on reading, adj camber.
while each tire and suspension system may have some preference of camber, it also depends on how u drive.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
get a base aligement, say factory recommended.
track it.
use pyrometer measure across tread, based on reading, adj camber.
while each tire and suspension system may have some preference of camber, it also depends on how u drive.
Good idea on tire temps, though I wonder if different compounds across the width might heat up differently?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock brake pad P/Ns?

Orthojoe,

Could you do me a favor and post the part numbers of the stock brake pads?

Also FWIW the GT4 alignment calls for -1.5 degree camber at all corners.

Regards,

Rob
Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Default p/ns

Rob

front stock p/n 99135194781
rear stock p/n 99135294880

pfc front p/n 7721.11.17.44 - http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2559.htm

pfc rear p/n 7727.11.18.44 -http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2558.htm

ferodo front p/n fcp4464w - http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2768.htm

ferodo rear p/n fcp4465w - http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2769.htm

hope this helps.

Clark

Originally Posted by Rob VN
Orthojoe,

Could you do me a favor and post the part numbers of the stock brake pads?

Also FWIW the GT4 alignment calls for -1.5 degree camber at all corners.

Regards,

Rob

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Thanks Clark

Rob
Old 08-04-2015, 12:12 AM
facefixr
Track Day

Default Precision app sucks?

i was able to get the video and data out of the app with a mac app called reflector2 ($15) and you can all see how crappy the data recording and sound are....lots of chop and loss of signal for a second or two. The complete loss and gap at the end of each lap is horrible. How can Porsche put something like this out? Any word on a fix?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 AM
facefixr
Track Day

Default Track Precision App without phone trim

Another. I must say you dont hear the sound breaking up on the app itself but the lock up of the data happens at least twice a lap for 1-2 seconds.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Good idea on tire temps, though I wonder if different compounds across the width might heat up differently?
i dont understand your meaning.

1. if u mean a single tire with diff compound inside to outside, then look for manufacturer's guidance of temp range.

2 if u mean michelin compound is different than pirelli for example, you are right and they will heat up differently. and depending how **** you are, it will change car set up. most race cars are aligned to run a specific tire of a specific size. for example, the car on my avatar runs on yoko advan slicks. and that's what i run exclusively. never on nitto or michelin slicks. b/c the camber setup changes a lot as i change rubber.

but tire temp will really help you dial it in.
hope this helps.

if you really wnat to be picking, bring a tech.
as you come off track, the take temp and change alignent on the spot. that's how my alignment was determined
Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the iphone track app functions similarly to Harry's lap timer. You'll need an external GPS to get better data. vbox sport, maybe?

Originally Posted by facefixr
i was able to get the video and data out of the app with a mac app called reflector2 ($15) and you can all see how crappy the data recording and sound are....lots of chop and loss of signal for a second or two. The complete loss and gap at the end of each lap is horrible. How can Porsche put something like this out? Any word on a fix?
Porsche Track Precision App - YouTube

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal