Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:41 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

Originally Posted by Macca
I freshly calibrate the G-sensor in the AIM Smartycam HD 2.0 every time I mount it to the cage. Like yours it then gives me an accurate overlay on the video feed. I see 1.1-1.2 with a max of 1.3 sustained on a warm day. We have a corkscrew and a lot of elevation on the track. My Porsche dash G-meter often reads 1.68 peak after an hard sessions. dont think Ive had it beyond 1.70 but I dont bounce of teh chicanes much...
Nice. Nice to see that your findings correlate with mine. On mpsc2 N spec, I'm getting the same readings as you. Thanks for confirming
Old 06-16-2015, 04:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nice. Nice to see that your findings correlate with mine. On mpsc2 N spec, I'm getting the same readings as you. Thanks for confirming
here are my vbox plots from the track day in question. First session at my local track in the GT3 so tyres were near new N spec MPSC2 pulling max 1.3028 (track is obviously clockwise).. last track days on same tyres was 8 months later and they were pulling 1.1-1.2 max same track (conditions of surface and ambient temps were not identical obviously). I think they give their best for first 5 track days then tapper off from there but I put alot of hard road miles on them in between so this may account for a couple of cycles....new tyres have been fitted for 3 track days taking place in Sept when Im next in NZ (Ill report more after then)....

Below is a screen shot of the instrument G force reading after hard road session. No way Im pulling more G on the road than on the track!
Attached Images   
Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

here are my vbox plots from the track day in question. First session at my local track in the GT3 so tyres were near new N spec MPSC2 pulling max 1.3028 (track is obviously clockwise).. last track days on same tyres was 8 months later and they were pulling 1.1-1.2 max same track (conditions of surface and ambient temps were not identical obviously). I think they give their best for first 5 track days then tapper off from there but I put alot of hard road miles on them in between so this may account for a couple of cycles....new tyres have been fitted for 3 track days taking place in Sept when Im next in NZ (Ill report more after then)....

Below is a screen shot of the instrument G force reading after hard road session. No way Im pulling more G on the road than on the track!
Macca, your findings correlate with my experience on mpsc2 N spec EXACTLY. 1.3G when new, drop off to 1.1-1.2G near the end.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:25 AM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

243F in 113F weather is just unbelievable. Mezgers run much hotter.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thunderhill looks like a blast !! A little warm there it seems.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

^ yes, just a little.
I'm accustomed to 113
but at 114 I melted
Old 06-18-2015, 10:08 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

TH was positively perfect today at 34C. Only wish my car was as perfect.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

What sorts of times are you all getting on Buttonwillow CW13?
Old 06-29-2015, 01:37 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
What sorts of times are you all getting on Buttonwillow CW13?
Best I managed on a hot weekend was 1:58.2, but I definitely feel like I had a second or two without much trouble. The good news is I ran a double session day (10 - 20 minute sessions). The car held up perfectly. The AP rotors and Ferodo pads were perfect the whole day. Last session of the day was the hottest. 40 minutes straight and the braking zones were exactly the same all the way to the last lap. That's now 7 days on those pads and there is probably even another day worth of pad.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:39 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Best I managed on a hot weekend was 1:58.2, but I definitely feel like I had a second or two without much trouble. The good news is I ran a double session day (10 - 20 minute sessions). The car held up perfectly. The AP rotors and Ferodo pads were perfect the whole day. Last session of the day was the hottest. 40 minutes straight and the braking zones were exactly the same all the way to the last lap. That's now 7 days on those pads and there is probably even another day worth of pad.
Nice! Thanks for the update!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:07 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No way Im pulling more G on the road than on the track!
I don't know about what roads you were driving, but I know many of the canyon roads locally have turns that are quite banked. I'm wondering if Banked turns could account for the extra G's that you're getting readings from vs. on the track where many turns may be more flat.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I don't know about what roads you were driving, but I know many of the canyon roads locally have turns that are quite banked. I'm wondering if Banked turns could account for the extra G's that you're getting readings from vs. on the track where many turns may be more flat.
Im getting more Gs on the track than on the road....

Old 07-03-2015, 01:31 PM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clex2
I don't post much here on Rennlist, but I am one of the co-owners of orthojoe's GT3. If there is anything I can claim credit for, it's the plate. Otherwise, everything you see here is Joe's own fantasy being played out here on this forum and it's a damn good one too.

I just got back from Thunderhill on Friday and Joe asked me to post up my impressions of the AP Racing rotors and Ferodo pad setup. In one word: Transformative. It's not that the prior set up was lacking in stopping power. The PFC-11 pads never faded and always provided the expected stopping power, but with the Ferodo DS1.11 pads, pedal feel is now up to the level of the rest of the car. Whereas the PFC-11s had a somewhat spongy feel requiring more pedal travel to stop the car, the Ferodos now give the pedal a rock hard feel which is what I think most of us would find better suited to threshold braking. The pedal travel is significantly reduced and modulation is more directly related to the pressure applied and not how far the pedal is depressed. I had much more confidence under braking and I could feel the ABS working through the ball of my foot whereas the prior seutp with the PFC did not communicate that as clearly.

As for the rotors, I'm not sure they made that much of a difference: J hooks vs drilled. If anything, there is probably more surface area with the AP set up so bite may be better. The real test would be to run the pads with the stock rotors, but I'm willing to bet it's the pads more than anything else. The RBF600 fluid is the same, not even flushed.

The only downside, and to me it's a minimal price to pay, is that the pads squeal just before coming to a stop.

Next, we'll see how long they last, but the Ferodo DS1.11 seem like a worthwhile pad.
It was nice meeting you yesterday. Great track and weather at Sonoma Raceway. I've never seen so many Ferrari's at one location. This was my first time there and it really ate up my left tires. This is a great post and I've learned a lot after all 75 pages worth... Keep up the great posts orthojoe!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never driven a car with steering wheel on right side. Must take some time to relearn.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by robbieracer
It was nice meeting you yesterday. Great track and weather at Sonoma Raceway. I've never seen so many Ferrari's at one location. This was my first time there and it really ate up my left tires. This is a great post and I've learned a lot after all 75 pages worth... Keep up the great posts orthojoe!
Glad you 2 got a chance to connect at Sonoma. Wish I could have been there! Chris probably mentioned that the Trofeo Rs are totally dead. We've decided to keep the dunlops as a back up tire for now and we're gonna mount another set of trofeo R on next week. The tires lasted 6 track days, but were really only good for 5. Not bad, IMO. I'm headed to MRLS on 7/30. With better weather and proper tire pressures, I'm hoping to see the extra grip that Trofeo Rs are supposed to have!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal