Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:47 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
IMHO the Wing accounts for much of the improvement in Lap Times of the GT3RS over the GT3, saddled with a poor excuse for a Wing.
Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Anyone who has attended a DE in my region (Rennsport) has seen just how many GT3 RS are used as track cars in the Instructor and advanced group. Dozens of them all running Michelin slicks. I don't care how it looks, it's all about performance.
I...believe most of the 1-2 seconds per lap difference between the GT3 and GT3RS on US length Tracks listed by www.fastestlaps.com
lies in the far more effective Wing on the RS, and not the small weight saving.
Lane: Are you talking .1 997 gt3 to .1 997 gt3 RS? Or .2 997 gt3 to .2 997 gt3 RS (3.8) or .2 997 gt3 RS (4.0)? If you are talking .2 997 gt3 to gt3 RS (3.8), wasn't gearing on that RS much better for track work & the 26mm extension to the front & wider front tires made turn-in much better too on that model...to account for the faster per lap differences on that RS?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

I...believe most of the 1-2 seconds per lap difference between the GT3 and GT3RS on US length Tracks listed by www.fastestlaps.com lies in the far more effective Wing on the RS, and not the small weight saving.
Originally Posted by sccchiii
I disagree, this car by many accounts has made enormous drops in lap times at various European tracks during development. I believe this car will raise a lot of eyebrows when lap times start posting in U.S.
Sccchiii: I think Lane is talking about previous generations (.1 or .2 997 gt3/RS) and not current 991 gt3 or upcoming 991 gt3 RS!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Left foot braking practice has commenced.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:41 AM
SuperDarius
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Left foot braking practice has commenced.
Great,here too,but only on the Xbox's playseat...

Old 12-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin1244
I really doubt it would be anywhere close to 4000b !!!
Haha, severe typo/brain fart. That should've read 3,080-3,100!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RS new engine lid looks more aggressive, I love how the vents are pointing backwards and are multiple instead of the single elongated vent pointing forward we currently have.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:36 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UAEGT3
The RS new engine lid looks more aggressive, I love how the vents are pointing backwards and are multiple instead of the single elongated vent pointing forward we currently have.
Thats likely because the rear deck venting is for different purposes. By using the RSR side venting, there will be plenty of air for the engine, and likely some will now directed for cooling, and thus the exit venting on the rear deck, in which this left over air will now likely be part of the aero as well. The GT3 uses the traditional ram air intake of prior designs.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:58 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Lane: Are you talking .1 997 gt3 to .1 997 gt3 RS? Or .2 997 gt3 to .2 997 gt3 RS (3.8) or .2 997 gt3 RS (4.0)? If you are talking .2 997 gt3 to gt3 RS (3.8), wasn't gearing on that RS much better for track work & the 26mm extension to the front & wider front tires made turn-in much better too on that model...to account for the faster per lap differences on that RS?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Sccchiii: I think Lane is talking about previous generations (.1 or .2 997 gt3/RS) and not current 991 gt3 or upcoming 991 gt3 RS!
you appear to be correct.....my poor eyes are just to old to review RL on my "dumb" phone????? That could explain my poor grammar also ha ha
Old 12-13-2014, 12:34 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Please come back here after the weekend and let us know your review on the wing. and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
Roger Wilco. Will do early next week. I'll also post some photos. Wing is actually smaller than it looks on the Avatar perspective. Only 5 inches longer on each side
and well within the rear fender widths. Off to see how it works at Sebring tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:41 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Only 5 inches longer on each side
and well within the rear fender widths.
Do you have any concerns about spoiling the front/back down-force & grip balance by leaving the front unchanged?
Old 12-13-2014, 03:15 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Do you have any concerns about spoiling the front/back down-force & grip balance by leaving the front unchanged?
Bingo...especially since the original wing was developed in concert with the rest of the engine lid aerodynamics as a wing element also. Will be interested in your report after pushing the car on the front straight at Sebring. And then transitioning into the first fast sweeping left hander at the end of the straight
Old 12-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Bingo...especially since the original wing was developed in concert with the rest of the engine lid aerodynamics as a wing element also. Will be interested in your report after pushing the car on the front straight at Sebring. And then transitioning into the first fast sweeping left hander at the end of the straight
Gents: Lane is the latest in a long line of enthusiasts that don't find what PAG/Weissach/Porsche Motorsports is doing with the factory versions of the gt3 & gt3 RS as 'good enough'. That is even after all the expenditures of PAG's massive pool of engineering talent at Weissach & its extraordinarily large road & track testing budget! So these enthusiasts experiment with their own after-market modifications, such as this interesting 'wing' on Lane's 991 gt3! A worthy concept...which in the past has given us some positive results (for example, the improved limited slip differentials from Guard for the 997 gt3's). But, much less so in experimental rear wing designs (photo #1)! But in any case, good luck with it Lane!

By the way, after the initial ducktail design of the production MY1973 911 RS (photo #2), the factory heavily modified the rear 'spoiler' on some of the 1973 RSR for particular competition venues where they thought it would help. The attached are photos (#3 & 4) of the 'Targa Florio' car which later was owned & restored to its original factory specs by a friend - Peter Kitchak! Notice the major modifications on the rear fenders to matched the ducktail on this factory '73 911 racing vehicle!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 12-13-2014, 05:11 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I wouldn't worry too much about that. He's testing it tomorrow and if it feels like too much rear downforce and not enough grip in front, there's an easy solution to that by using front canards. If they still don't provide enough front downforce, then a modified front lip should do the trick in concert with the canards. That's what Testing is for
Old 12-14-2014, 12:13 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Man, that rear wing is something only a mother... or full time track driver... could love
Hold on there Mr. S. There are plenty of us that like Lane's wing.

SirMixaLot said it best:

Also, check out the cover of Paper

If Lane's wing needs a little additional front splitter action, then I am still in. I can't wait to hear about Sebring. Just like SirMixaLot said, if you change the splitter and the wing, you've got ..... an "LA face with an Oakland booty!" Baby got grip!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:39 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I wouldn't worry too much about that. He's testing it tomorrow and if it feels like too much rear downforce and not enough grip in front, there's an easy solution to that by using front canards. If they still don't provide enough front downforce, then a modified front lip should do the trick in concert with the canards. That's what Testing is for
The fastest way around a race track is not necessarily finding the most down force. It is a balance between down force, tire patch, suspension, etc. The formula is quite complex and would require a lot of the "testing" you are talking about. Unless you are prepared to spend huge money re-engineering what Porsche has optimized then it is really a futile adventure. With a bigger wing stuck into more air you are then stressing the rear suspension big time. That then means different springs, wheels and tires. Now that you have the rear set-up different you need to get into the front suspension set-up, wheels and tires and additional aero. What concerns me the most is not that he will not turn the lap times improvement he is looking for with the bigger wing but that he is introducing a change in balance that is potentially unbalanced and thus unsafe. At the very least he will be stressing the rear suspension more and possibly pushing it past it's designed safety perimeters. For posing on the street, no big deal. But pushing it consistently and hard at the track...I would be VERY careful. Not something I would personally do without a very planned and well thought out engineering exercise.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
The fastest way around a race track is not necessarily finding the most down force. It is a balance between down force, tire patch, suspension, etc. The formula is quite complex and would require a lot of the "testing" you are talking about. Unless you are prepared to spend huge money re-engineering what Porsche has optimized then it is really a futile adventure. With a bigger wing stuck into more air you are then stressing the rear suspension big time. That then means different springs, wheels and tires. Now that you have the rear set-up different you need to get into the front suspension set-up, wheels and tires and additional aero. What concerns me the most is not that he will not turn the lap times improvement he is looking for with the bigger wing but that he is introducing a change in balance that is potentially unbalance and thus unsafe. At the very least he will be stressing the ear suspension more and possibly pushing it past it's designed safety perimeters. For posing on the street, no big deal. But pushing it consistently and hard a the track...I would be VERY careful. Not something I would personally do without a very planned and well thought out engineering exercise.
Nothing to add; I agree with this completely.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread