Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Have you compared the Trofeo-R to the PSC2 on your 1M? Many people say the Trofeo R is a grippier tire and I am aware it has a lower tread rating but do you know if it is indeed a faster tire? If I can get 1-2 extra secs out of them in a sub 2 mile course, it would be a no brainer for me. Why would an improvement in grip be tricky? Interested in your thoughts.
I have no direct experience with the Trofeo R, but I've heard the same thing re speed.

My concern is that putting the Cup 2 on was a huge change in my case. I'm sure the tire spring rate is different, not sure what else, but somehow it changed a car that was unstable in high speed sweepers over bumps into one that's stable. I'm sure you could bolt on a hoosier/ etc (sizes willing) to a GT3, but I wonder if it might upset the suspension or make it darty. Just a theory- tires are always tuned substantially for N spec, so who knows how similar the GT3 version is?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grant, I run Hoosiers on my GT and they're stable on track. The springs are heavier and shocks have been revalved. I run MPSS on the street and they're good. Am getting Trofeo R's on a Z/28 and will have some feedback in a few weeks...but not relative to other tires on that car. By all accounts they're pretty quick on track but not quite as quick as Hoosiers and certainly not full slicks.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm a decent amateur driver (with many years of experience), but yes my car is heavily modified:

1,890 pounds with half tank
235hp 2.7RS+ MFI motor
Custom-built (by Hayden at WEVO with all their options) gearbox with close/low ratios, Guard LSD, cooler, etc.
Bilstein RSR Coilovers (replacing torsion bars), 935 rear suspension, Charlie Bars
Brembo 4-piston 930 brakes and two-piece rotors (barely clear 15" wheels)
All Carbon body panels

Makes for a fantastically involving car to drive on road and track - can be driven at huge slip angles with ease.
Grant, that's gorgeous!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I hear good things form 997.2 GT3 owners on the Trofeo R vs old old MPSC.

Can someone point me online to who stocks the Trofeo R in 991 GT3 sizes as I cant seem to find these on tirerack.com and would like to know what they run to a set....?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Grant, that's gorgeous!
Thanks, Mike and Sam
Old 08-03-2014, 10:50 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
I hear good things form 997.2 GT3 owners on the Trofeo R vs old old MPSC.

Can someone point me online to who stocks the Trofeo R in 991 GT3 sizes as I cant seem to find these on tirerack.com and would like to know what they run to a set....?
Here we go Macca: http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/p-zero-trofeo/
Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate! Prices look comparable to MPSC2...
Old 08-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Are you all happy with the stock tires for the street use, only?? I do not track my car but was just wondering
Old 08-03-2014, 11:33 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by tripleblack
Grant, I run Hoosiers on my GT and they're stable on track. The springs are heavier and shocks have been revalved. I run MPSS on the street and they're good. Am getting Trofeo R's on a Z/28 and will have some feedback in a few weeks...but not relative to other tires on that car. By all accounts they're pretty quick on track but not quite as quick as Hoosiers and certainly not full slicks.
Be careful when the tires are cold. (Z/28)
Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jimmy. Ive been very happy with the MPSC2s as a road/street tyre right down to conditions around 2-3C they seem pretty good to me. however if I were running this as a street/fast road car only I would almost certainly put the MPSS on after the MPSC2 are worn through as you will get better wet weather handling and durability from them at 35% less cost with almost no noticeable depreciation of performance on the street I should hope/think...
Old 08-03-2014, 11:52 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Grant. Thats a seriously modified longhood track car with some sizeable investment! I could see how you would be quicker than me on the track in the 993 even with same driver.

However, just a quick point to make - your car is a pretty uncompromised track car.

Both my 993 and GT3 "track cars" have air con, stereo and creature comforts good for touring (my wife and I took the 993 for 4000 miles of touring and track days in March with 3000 of those road miles with 14 days luggage). We toured 2000 mile sin Europe in the 991 GT3 with heated buckets during winter and it was even more comfortable than our 993.

You mentioned that the cost of ownership of the new 991 GT3/RS for track work might be a road block for you - but Im not sure we are comparing apples with apples here - they are mostly road cars good for the weekend track - not the other way around . Just a thought to balance the argument.

Anyway thats one hell of a oldtimer, and like my 993 Im sure it probably owes you by now what a new GT3 would LOL!

Pete. Thanks for the data points on the MPSS. Thats very interesting information. I guess I will find out myself how they go in regards the 991 GT3 soon enough. I run -2.0 negative camber on the front so maybe that will help hold off the chunking for a little while. Unfortunately due to taxes and freight by the time the MPSC2 get to NZ from Tirerack they are about twice the price of the MPSS landed. The 991 GT3 has quite a different chassis from the 1M so it will be interesting how they wear. Going a bit hard is ok in summer I guess but what I read is I shouldnt expect any increase in life over the MPSC2 in similar use. A little less grip and maybe some compound changes at half time...

Sam. Your experience is probably teh most relevant here so I will go with what you say. I have 4600km (3000 miles) on my MPSC2 but very veried usage form Euro winter, to one cold session on the track, a bit of DD and one hard road raid (200 miles). Looking at them Id say they will be good for 1000 miles more touring to our Spring track tour (say 3 more track days).

One thing to note. IN NZ we run shorter session than you do. 15 mins typically (9 -10 laps). In NA you seem to all run 20-30 min sessions. This must put quite a few heat cysles through a tyre especially in summer so may aid also to quicker wearing of those fronts, once they start to melt Im sure they will wear quicker.

One thing is for sure the MPSC2 will take some beating as an "every something" tyre...
I'd be interested to learn the actual delta between an MPSC and PSS on a 2-min track. I've tracked both tires, but not on the same car. The PSS has extremely soft sidewalls and nowhere near the grip of the MPSC once both tires have some heat. I would expect to see more than 1.5-2 sec difference, so I'll be interested to hear your feedback.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Grant. Thats a seriously modified longhood track car with some sizeable investment! I could see how you would be quicker than me on the track in the 993 even with same driver.

However, just a quick point to make - your car is a pretty uncompromised track car.

Both my 993 and GT3 "track cars" have air con, stereo and creature comforts good for touring (my wife and I took the 993 for 4000 miles of touring and track days in March with 3000 of those road miles with 14 days luggage). We toured 2000 mile sin Europe in the 991 GT3 with heated buckets during winter and it was even more comfortable than our 993.

You mentioned that the cost of ownership of the new 991 GT3/RS for track work might be a road block for you - but Im not sure we are comparing apples with apples here - they are mostly road cars good for the weekend track - not the other way around . Just a thought to balance the argument.

Anyway thats one hell of a oldtimer, and like my 993 Im sure it probably owes you by now what a new GT3 would LOL!

Pete. Thanks for the data points on the MPSS. Thats very interesting information. I guess I will find out myself how they go in regards the 991 GT3 soon enough. I run -2.0 negative camber on the front so maybe that will help hold off the chunking for a little while. Unfortunately due to taxes and freight by the time the MPSC2 get to NZ from Tirerack they are about twice the price of the MPSS landed. The 991 GT3 has quite a different chassis from the 1M so it will be interesting how they wear. Going a bit hard is ok in summer I guess but what I read is I shouldnt expect any increase in life over the MPSC2 in similar use. A little less grip and maybe some compound changes at half time...

Sam. Your experience is probably teh most relevant here so I will go with what you say. I have 4600km (3000 miles) on my MPSC2 but very veried usage form Euro winter, to one cold session on the track, a bit of DD and one hard road raid (200 miles). Looking at them Id say they will be good for 1000 miles more touring to our Spring track tour (say 3 more track days).

One thing to note. IN NZ we run shorter session than you do. 15 mins typically (9 -10 laps). In NA you seem to all run 20-30 min sessions. This must put quite a few heat cysles through a tyre especially in summer so may aid also to quicker wearing of those fronts, once they start to melt Im sure they will wear quicker.

One thing is for sure the MPSC2 will take some beating as an "every something" tyre...
Macca, one thing to keep in mind is that when I ran the PSS, I did not modify the car at all, just took the negative camber to the max it allowed stock , which was around -2.0 front and the chunking was always on the outside, so not sure if with more negative camber what would happen.

Originally Posted by Petevb
I have no direct experience with the Trofeo R, but I've heard the same thing re speed.

My concern is that putting the Cup 2 on was a huge change in my case. I'm sure the tire spring rate is different, not sure what else, but somehow it changed a car that was unstable in high speed sweepers over bumps into one that's stable. I'm sure you could bolt on a hoosier/ etc (sizes willing) to a GT3, but I wonder if it might upset the suspension or make it darty. Just a theory- tires are always tuned substantially for N spec, so who knows how similar the GT3 version is?
Thanks. I will try a set in the fall and see.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Are you all happy with the stock tires for the street use, only?? I do not track my car but was just wondering
Jimmy. Ive been very happy with the MPSC2s as a road/street tyre right down to conditions around 2-3C they seem pretty good to me. however if I were running this as a street/fast road car only I would almost certainly put the MPSS on after the MPSC2 are worn through as you will get better wet weather handling and durability from them at 35% less cost with almost no noticeable depreciation of performance on the street I should hope/think...
As Macca said, for sure, 100%.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbirch
I'd be interested to learn the actual delta between an MPSC and PSS on a 2-min track. I've tracked both tires, but not on the same car. The PSS has extremely soft sidewalls and nowhere near the grip of the MPSC once both tires have some heat. I would expect to see more than 1.5-2 sec difference, so I'll be interested to hear your feedback.
As mentioned that data set was 1.5-2.0s a lap on a 2 mile lap in a 997.2 GT3 chassis (stock bar sharkwerks bypass) on 19s but it was comparing between the older Sport Cups and the new Super Sports (the Supersports were new on the car at the time my fiend looked at the data). It imagine that could be a fractionally wider variation with the MPSC2s. Temps were typically 15-18C, tracks dry, humidity around 55% and session lengths 15 mins on 45 mins off.

Once I have the MPSS fitted I should beable to post some meaningful data - but it looks like Sam has already experimented with these on similar length track with similar camber settings as I have in the 991 GT3 and identified a similar difference in speed and the aforementioned wear abnormally (chunking).
Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a decent amateur driver (with many years of experience), but yes my car is heavily modified:

235hp 2.7RS+ MFI motor
Custom-built (by Hayden at WEVO with all their options) gearbox with close/low ratios, Guard LSD, cooler, etc.
Bilstein RSR Coilovers (replacing torsion bars), 935 rear suspension, Charlie Bars
All Carbon body panels

Makes for a fantastically involving car to drive on road and track - can be driven at huge slip angles with ease.
What an awesome machine! To be honest, what you have is probably a better tool in terms of fun-per-$ than any new super-duper car. I have no doubt a new RS would be significantly faster, but a big, heavy, massively fast street car is going to cost a fortune in consumables. And I'm not sure it would be any more fun than what you have now, regardless of cost. In many DE run groups, even the upper run groups, a new RS is going to be spending a lot of time lapping everything else out there and slowing down a lot to wait for a safe place to pass. That's fun for a while, but it's more fun to dice it up a bit with comparably fast track mates. Perhaps if your home track is loaded with ballers driving high-dollar super cars a new RS would make sense and be fun, but in many places it would be overkill.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

235hp 2.7RS+ MFI motor
All Carbon body panels

Wow.
Almost makes a Singer look ordinary.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread