Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

If I get an allocation mine will be orange.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
If I get an allocation mine will be orange.
My family was in Stuttgart to pick up a VW bus in 1973. I remember seeing 911's at the Porsche dealer near by being orange...they were probably RS models...so I may have to pay homage to that childhood experience and order my RS should I be fortunate enough to get one in Orange.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Some food for thought: bigger wing can be more aerodynamically efficient. Generally speaking, a small wing would need to be at a larger angle of attack to generate the same downforce as a larger wing. Larger wing can provide the same downforce with less drag. This is faster.

Going back all the way to the 996/997.1 generations, swapping in an RS wing blade on a regular GT3 was a more efficient (faster) way of gaining extra downforce versus using the factory shims on the stock wing.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by pmpsch
Looks like you made up your mind after being on the fence for some time

Do we have confirmation that one of the launch colors will be GT Silver as opposite to another tone of Grey?
No, I made the GT Silver up.
I cant pay more for a non warranty car than a warranty car.. Old tried and true RS prices too close to new one. TRAKCAR 3.1 is now for sale for $145K and its a great deal for probably the best track ready 997RS 3.8 out there.

I wait. Not sure if my mind is made up, but I think I will try it at least.

I swear I'm driving through new Zealand this month in my flappy paddel POS rental car and I'm left foot braking and paddeling. My wife is threatening me to fly home from the nearest airport LOL.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:49 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
The fastest way around a race track is not necessarily finding the most down force. It is a balance between down force, tire patch, suspension, etc. The formula is quite complex and would require a lot of the "testing" you are talking about. Unless you are prepared to spend huge money re-engineering what Porsche has optimized then it is really a futile adventure. With a bigger wing stuck into more air you are then stressing the rear suspension big time. That then means different springs, wheels and tires. Now that you have the rear set-up different you need to get into the front suspension set-up, wheels and tires and additional aero. What concerns me the most is not that he will not turn the lap times improvement he is looking for with the bigger wing but that he is introducing a change in balance that is potentially unbalanced and thus unsafe. At the very least he will be stressing the rear suspension more and possibly pushing it past it's designed safety perimeters. For posing on the street, no big deal. But pushing it consistently and hard at the track...I would be VERY careful. Not something I would personally do without a very planned and well thought out engineering exercise.
Totally agree for the most part with everything you said. Simply throwing a big wing on doesn't necessarily translate to better performance. But it'll give him a baseline. If it does improve (entirely possible) then he knows he's going in the right direction. If performance isn't improved because of an imbalance, then as I said in my other post, he can use other aids to bring the balance back similar as stock through the use of canards or different front aero. Doing so can definitely improve the performance through better downforce while giving similar to stock balance. And yes I know there is a lot more to improving a vehicles performance than just improving it's aero, but this is a starting point. He may later find that he needs to change to different spring rates etc. I don't think you necessarily have to spend huge amounts of money to improve upon the factory. Even the GT3 is a "compromise" vehicle, as adept in track work as it may be. Tuner's, aftermarket companies and yes even backyard racers can and do improve on what the factory has given us. Thankfully too, otherwise there'd be a lot of companies going out of business such as Sharkwerks, GMG, EVOMS, 911Design etc. Now that all being said, the GT3 in stock form seems to be about the best car you can get without spending twice as much or more. But I don't ever see anything wrong with trying to improve upon what the factory has given us.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
He may later find that he needs to change to different spring rates etc.
If staying with the non-adjustable PASM shocks, changing spring rates could wreak havoc. And if changing both shocks and springs, could be very difficult to match or exceed factory performance on the track while still having a car that's tolerable on the street.

Last edited by Manifold; 12-15-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No, I made the GT Silver up.
I cant pay more for a non warranty car than a warranty car.. Old tried and true RS prices too close to new one. TRAKCAR 3.1 is now for sale for $145K and its a great deal for probably the best track ready 997RS 3.8 out there.

I wait. Not sure if my mind is made up, but I think I will try it at least.

I swear I'm driving through new Zealand this month in my flappy paddel POS rental car and I'm left foot braking and paddeling. My wife is threatening me to fly home from the nearest airport LOL.
+1 and LOL.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:55 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone else been asked by their dealer:

"This is market research: would you prefer a manual in the GT3 and RS?"
Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,993 Likes on 2,821 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
anyone else been asked by their dealer:

"This is market research: would you prefer a manual in the GT3 and RS?"
I wish someone would ask me
Old 12-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fear is I end up with an RS - then there ends up being some final ''send off '' ( ala 4.0 ) edition with a manual . I know all about the quicker to 60 , quicker lap times etc , but if I had a choice - manual it would be .
Old 12-15-2014, 01:18 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
...If performance isn't improved because of an imbalance, then as I said in my other post, he can use other aids to bring the balance back similar as stock through the use of canards or different front aero. Doing so can definitely improve the performance through better downforce while giving similar to stock balance. And yes I know there is a lot more to improving a vehicles performance than just improving it's aero, but this is a starting point. He may later find that he needs to change to different spring rates etc. I don't think you necessarily have to spend huge amounts of money to improve upon the factory. Even the GT3 is a "compromise" vehicle, as adept in track work as it may be. Tuner's, aftermarket companies and yes even backyard racers can and do improve on what the factory has given us. Thankfully too, otherwise there'd be a lot of companies going out of business such as Sharkwerks, GMG, EVOMS, 911Design etc. Now that all being said, the GT3 in stock form seems to be about the best car you can get without spending twice as much or more. But I don't ever see anything wrong with trying to improve upon what the factory has given us.
I am not so much concerned about lap times and performance improvement - whatever he is after is fine, that is a personal goal. However I am deeply concerned about the safety factor. First with balance (for safety reasons), but MORE important with the strength parameters for the suspension parts. Increase/change any of the items mentioned, i.e. downforce through aero, spring rates, wheel size, tire size, and you greatly increase the stress imposed upon the whole suspension system. I would not do any of that before investigating what parameters Porsche has engineered into the stock system. I suspect Porsche has over-engineered the stock system to error on the side of safety. BUT changing the stress levels by increasing the down force, and possibly other items, starts to eliminate that safety margin. Things/parts break all the time racing and those parts are purpose made for those anticipated increased stress levels. I associated with the Corvette Racing team for a while and I can tell you that every single part on their cars has a time certain to it's "usable" life - after so many hours of use they were changed out. Parts are constantly changed on those cars all the time and still they have breakage issues. Pushing the car on the track is a serious business and needs to be approached with as much care, preparation and caution as possible. I just want him to be safe and not wreck the car or himself...

Last edited by GregJGT3; 12-15-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3rscr250m
My fear is I end up with an RS - then there ends up being some final ''send off '' ( ala 4.0 ) edition with a manual . I know all about the quicker to 60 , quicker lap times etc , but if I had a choice - manual it would be .
The real fear would be that you wouldn't be able to get one because demand would be so high.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:22 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
The real fear would be that you wouldn't be able to get one because demand would be so high.
+1 - If they do that they'll all be numbered and gone to 918 buyers. It's pretty irrelevant unless you have a VIP slot.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I want is a light car with lots of HP and half the price of a Ferrari. Not sure if this photo was posted yet...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

one car many ises
slow plow option?

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread