Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 01:39 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
so that is how you would order or possible options that will be available? If that is the way you would order then that is all business!
exactly the way the RS should be....
Old 12-07-2014, 02:02 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radio Delete
A/C Delete
PCCB Delete
Full Cage
Plexiglas Windows (side & rear)
5-Lug
Rocket Assist (Acceleration)
Drag Chute (Deceleration)

I am psyched!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:33 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDarius
Leather
Lift
Black Led lights
Black wheels
Privacy glasses
some decals if available(porsche letters in black)

Car will be orange.

This is what I intend to do.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:37 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
exactly the way the RS should be....
Problem with that is, it's still a street car. Unless you live at the track, what's the point of deleting all street comforts ? If you want to live at the track, one is much better off buying a trailer and a well sorted 996 or 997 GT3 Cup car.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:51 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Problem with that is, it's still a street car. Unless you live at the track, what's the point of deleting all street comforts ? If you want to live at the track, one is much better off buying a trailer and a well sorted 996 or 997 GT3 Cup car.
That's the identity crisis of every RS. If you push the 'because racecar' theme to its logical extreme you end up with a Cup. Plus, let's be honest, what % of these $200k RS's will spend most of their lives being pushed above 8/10ths at the track? 5%?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
That's the identity crisis of every RS. If you push the 'because racecar' theme to its logical extreme you end up with a Cup. Plus, let's be honest, what % of these $200k RS's will spend most of their lives being pushed above 8/10ths at the track? 5%?
Ed Zacchary....I will spec my RS for some comfort if I can be allocated one. In fact if sofa's are offered, I will take them and install my own aftermarket buckets rather than take Porsches harness incompatible without customization LW seats.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

All those deletes will make the car much less desirable in the resale market. If there is some killer Gen 2 for example, the stripper car will not be such a great deal to the next buyer.

Personally I will not do the deletes, leaving the car reasonably standard. Unknown for me is the question of wheel options.

I will not be speccing LED headlights,PCCBs, will do front lift,leather,and whatever truly useful options show up on the config.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:37 PM
markow
Racer

probably i am orthogonal to most here but i want aircon, satnav/radio, LED headlights if possible, leather interior, rear cage delete and reclining buckets. blood orange please, no decals - just a go-faster stripe. i shall even have a rear view cam and parking sensors built in (aftermarket). it should still be an exhilarating driver's car even with those comfort specs. if those options will not be available then i shall go for the softcore 458 speciale::))
peter
ps: i have a guaranteed slot for an RS, number 1 on my dealer's list (he will get two cars) with a signed pre-contract.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

I used the A/C twice in the three years that I owned my 997.2 RS and could easily have done without it. Much prefer to shed the 35-40lbs off the right end of the car.

Everyone has to do what works for them but if you honestly care about street comforts you should be buying a GT3.

Originally Posted by Ronan
All those deletes will make the car much less desirable in the resale market. If there is some killer Gen 2 for example, the stripper car will not be such a great deal to the next buyer.
That would matter if I cared about resale.

OTOH, go try to find a radio delete & A/C delete 997.1 or .2 RS. Good luck. I would pay a premium if I were in the market
Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nizer
Everyone has to do what works for them but if you honestly care about street comforts you should be buying a GT3.

Having owned a 996.2-3 for 10 years...that is a car w/o street comforts. This current GT3 is much more comfortable. I have a Cayenne GTS for daily drive street comfort in spades. Dropping AC won't make a bit of difference on the cars street performance and very little on the track for DE fun. Now if you are going to race the car, that's a different matter and again, the RS is not a race car..a cup car is.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Down under we always order the aircon. I even run with it on in the GT3 on track especially if it is hot or wet. One of the luxuries of having all that go compared to my 993 track car which is windows down air con off. If you don't want the aircon the compressor is half the system weight and at least on the older cars easy to unbolt pull the belt and the hoses easy!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:38 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
If you can find a dealer that will take a deposit you are in luck, if you get an allocation for it you hit the Jackpot. One of the largest in the country by volume told me he is allocated half of the # of deposits he already has.
yeah, I am not so sure that a deposit is the thing to be happy about, but maybe... I put my deposit down a while ago, but I am still not convinced/for sure that I will get an allocation... its always interesting to see the posts from people here about exactly what number they are in line for the car, details from their dealer on arrivals, etc... my dealers still says that they really don't know much, including how many they will get, when, etc.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:42 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

For me the RS will see four to six track days a year, but get driven at least two to Bree days a week on road. If I was going to trailer it and never put on plates I would delete everything, but then why not just get a cup car. Having a scalpel that still folds to fit in your pocket is pretty damn cool.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
For me the RS will see four to six track days a year, but get driven at least two to Bree days a week on road. If I was going to trailer it and never put on plates I would delete everything, but then why not just get a cup car. Having a scalpel that still folds to fit in your pocket is pretty damn cool.
And that really is what's great about these modern day street/track cars. The fact that you can drive a monster to the track, thoroughly enjoy yourself and set some pretty amazing lap times, and then drive it home under its own power IS the point of a car like the RS. True, a regular 3 can do the same thing, but so can many other cars. We can go in an endless loop of justifying different cars to meet each of our unique desires. But for most of us who are not privateers and going to the track to hopefully make money, or are semi-pros, an RS is that weapon that will give us that feeling of being as close as possible to driving a dedicated track car.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Having owned a 996.2-3 for 10 years...that is a car w/o street comforts. This current GT3 is much more comfortable.
Agree 100%. GT3 is more comfortable and latest more so than last and so on. RS a different story.

Dropping AC won't make a bit of difference on the cars street performance and very little on the track for DE fun.
Again agree. Like I said I don't need it, just like I don't need the lift so both are out. To each his own.

....again, the RS is not a race car..a cup car is.
Agree Cup car is a race car, RS is not.

Last edited by Nizer; 12-07-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread