Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want my RS in this color
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2014, 10:22 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by senna

All I want is a light car with lots of HP and half the price of a Ferrari. Not sure if this photo was posted yet...
Thanks....time to change my underwear
Old 12-16-2014, 12:20 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

This "spy" pic is too nicely composed. Looks like a Porsche marketing job. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:13 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
This "spy" pic is too nicely composed. Looks like a Porsche marketing job. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
So many "spy pics" are
Old 12-16-2014, 02:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

They shot the orange one a year ago, so if they want to keep a secret they can.. Maybe Porsche will introduce the real details so coincide with the anniversary of Post 1..
Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

I must say I do enjoy seeing these GT3 RS Spy photo,s posted ,,,,nice work keep it up
Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
I am not so much concerned about lap times and performance improvement - whatever he is after is fine, that is a personal goal. However I am deeply concerned about the safety factor. First with balance (for safety reasons), but MORE important with the strength parameters for the suspension parts. Increase/change any of the items mentioned, i.e. downforce through aero, spring rates, wheel size, tire size, and you greatly increase the stress imposed upon the whole suspension system. I would not do any of that before investigating what parameters Porsche has engineered into the stock system. I suspect Porsche has over-engineered the stock system to error on the side of safety. BUT changing the stress levels by increasing the down force, and possibly other items, starts to eliminate that safety margin. Things/parts break all the time racing and those parts are purpose made for those anticipated increased stress levels. I associated with the Corvette Racing team for a while and I can tell you that every single part on their cars has a time certain to it's "usable" life - after so many hours of use they were changed out. Parts are constantly changed on those cars all the time and still they have breakage issues. Pushing the car on the track is a serious business and needs to be approached with as much care, preparation and caution as possible. I just want him to be safe and not wreck the car or himself...
Greg, I totally agree with much of what you're saying. Racing loads do put on much more stress levels to many components in the suspension. At the same time, race car components are designed for max performance with just enough durability to make it through a race. Look at F1 cars as an example, all suspension parts are basically consumables and replaced after every race.
That's obviously more of an extreme as many other forms of racing suspension pieces are checked and if they're not damaged and/or stressed, will go right back onto the car. That being said, street car suspensions are designed for longevity and sacrifice some performance and weight in exchange for durability. I Don't think an RS style wing is would put the types of stresses on the car in which you've pointed out. If it were one of those giant wings that you see in many of the upper levels of motorsport and during an endurance race, then yeah I wholeheartedly agree with you. But for a HPDE event with an RS Style wing, I just don't see forces being too great for the stock suspension. While we agree on some of these points and maybe not others, I want to say. I do enjoy the conversation and like that it's civil and not name calling. I appreciate that and hope you feel the same. Cheers

Originally Posted by mooty
one car many ises
slow plow option?
Best looking snow plow I've ever seen!

Originally Posted by hf1
Honestly, it does seem that way, but Porsche (and other manufacturers) often do their testing in a convoy. So while it seems like they are sometimes staged, I can attest that they're not. I took a couple pics last summer that were used and published on Jalopnik of a Porsche testing Convoy. One of the pics definitely looked like it could have been staged. I was simply driving when I spotted the test fleet driving down Mullholland (oh what a fantastic road that must have been to drive the test mules on!) and whipped my phone out in time to capture it.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
They shot the orange one a year ago, so if they want to keep a secret they can.. Maybe Porsche will introduce the real details so coincide with the anniversary of Post 1..
Hahhaha that would be so funny if they did that internally as a joke! BTW, that orange is gorgeous! Anyone know what color it is? Reminds me of a Persimmon.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:05 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Would you mind posting some pics of your rear wing? The avatar is very small and can't be enlarged. I checked the crawfordcomposites website but I can't find pics of it
Anyone interested can find Details and Photos of the Crawford Wing on Rennliost GT3 Forum in a new thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...g-for-gt3.html

New Wing Tests at Sebring went very well with faster lap times, no detectable difference in understeer, faster corner entry speeds and more stabilized High Speed (146+ MPH) entry with maximum braking into T17 (no more tail-wagging)

Wind Tunnel Testing of the Brumos GT3 Cup Car Wing show raised Wing catching more air:

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...he-911-GT3-Cup

The Crawford Wing was designed only after a careful intensive 3 Day investigation of my own GT3's construction at their Race Shop. Several weeks of computer-aided Suspension, Engine, and Drivetrain analysis by some of the best Race-Car designers on the planet followed. That is what Crawford does. They design and build Race cars and have been doing that for a VERY long time.
For those of you unfamiliar with Crawford,These Links may be interesting and enlightening:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_Composites

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3103.html

http://crawfordcomposites.com/indust...ts/motorsports

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Max-Crawford/9201138

http://www.textileworld.com/Articles..._Crawford_FL15

http://www.compositesworld.com/news/...-design-debuts

http://crawfordcomposites.com

I appreciate my fellow Rennlisters comments and concern for my safety in this thread, but can reassure them that substituting a more effective raised GT3RS Style Wing will enhance rather than diminish safety, both on the road and track.

Surely the enhanced Safety of unblocking the view through the rear window will be obvious to anyone who has had an unseen child or car appear when backing out of parking spaces, or been surprised by an unseen Police Car, Truck or Race Car appear suddenly behind them.

After 35 years of instructing and racing with Car Clubs and Schools, I have observed that most track accidents are caused by the rear wheels suddenly losing their grip, launching the car into unintended areas. An effective Wing reduces that tendency to “Snap Oversteer” by increasing the grip of the Rear Tire’s Contact Patches, and thus is a very useful safety device.

My student, in his ’06 Viper learned that last Sunday when his enthusiastic throttle foot took us on an unexpected excursion into Sebring’s off-track acres of concrete in T16 Fortunately, only his pride was wounded.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 AM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
After 35 years of instructing and racing with Car Clubs and Schools, I have observed that most track accidents are caused by the rear wheels suddenly losing their grip, launching the car into unintended areas.
Exactly how I smashed my 997.2 GT3 on the Nürburgring Nordschleife last March...
Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Hahhaha that would be so funny if they did that internally as a joke! BTW, that orange is gorgeous! Anyone know what color it is? Reminds me of a Persimmon.
Gulf Orange
Old 12-18-2014, 12:19 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

I am still hoping I don't get an allocation. Last thing I need is another car. Lol
Old 12-18-2014, 02:02 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I am still hoping I don't get an allocation. Last thing I need is another car. Lol
tell me about it! Same boat.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:25 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

197 pages! Maybe someone needs to start a new thread with the latest sexy spy photos and info about the 4.0 engine.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
197 pages! Maybe someone needs to start a new thread with the latest sexy spy photos and info about the 4.0 engine.

Let's wait until 200, lol....

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread