Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Pure Bob Saget
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i'll wash her and get some pics up today too.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:32 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tune..Tune..LOG...Tune..LOG....Tune..LOG...and only 6 new Knocks to boot...

Name:  tunelogWOT.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  79.1 KB

I believe I can lean it back out above 4K WOT, but the partial throttle and idle maps are dead on... GOD I love this car...
Total tuning time to date on this car..2 hours...

go for fun drive....

took her out, turned the head on a state trooper (He had just gotten out of his car at the barracks, and I had just came off the highway, on a hard 2nd gear accell with teh associated WOOSH on shift to 3rd... HA)

Enjoyed driving for a while..I need to take a cruise some time soon... just get in and drive...

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 07-24-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:19 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

got a bad exhaust leak fixed...car runs better than it ever has...and sounds absolutely mean...no popping from backfire, all grow...muhuhahahaha!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:44 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
got a bad exhaust leak fixed...car runs better than it ever has...and sounds absolutely mean...no popping from backfire, all grow...muhuhahahaha!
VIDEO OR BAN!!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:43 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Painted my Cup-I reps ORANGE!!!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, this cars paint was horribly oxidized, it looked beyond awful
The pic does not do it justice but it once again has a shine to it, I did not get a chance to wax it but I compounded and polished the crap out of it, still have some detail work to do.. needs a full wax and I am in the process of removing whats left of the stone guards. Other than the usual dash cracks in the interior is nice shape. Some more polishing is in order as well.

Also, some idiot burnt the paint in a some ares so I need to see what I can do with that. The PO had someone try and detail the car and they did not succeed.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got my 2nd $1200 944, an '86, started up and took it for a test drive. First time it's been on the road in 6 yrs. This car had clipped a low trailer on the right front, with the trailer going under the front bumper and hitting the radiator frame. That bent the rad frame back, which tweaked the frame rail from about the crossmember forward, down about 3/4". Got the frame straightened for $500, have a couple of lower valances to use. I did a belt/roller/water pump upgrade, new fuel pump, etc. It is a very nice car! The >85.5's are like a different car in so many ways.
Attached Images   
Old 07-26-2009, 02:11 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FINALLY finished R&R on the water pump last night. One of the bolts broke when I was removing the pump.... then the damn easy out broke off in the hole

I know better than to use an easy out on a rusted bolt.... I guess I didn't think it was as stuck as it was. 9 times out of 10, an easy out gives you more trouble than just drilling and retapping the hole.

Oh well. Just time wasted. Here's the list.

Waterpump, T-belt, new coolant hoses, new fan switch, new AC/alt belt, new power steering hose while the waterpump was off, and a new PS belt.

Best 2 days of my life.....
Old 07-26-2009, 02:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

checked the brake pads, tightened all the lug nuts so far. lol. maybe get some gas later and go for a drive.

will repaint the wiper arms today, maybe repaint my front swaybar (red of course )

dreamed while looking at my spare engine on the stand and held my SC next to it
<----------------------
Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 PM
NYFlapjack2
Rennlist Member

Default Busy week putzing..shade tree & budget fixes on my ecomony car..

Lets see.... the RH deflector hinge was broke but had 1/2 the original plastic sleeve and the brass insert...so a Dremel groove and some .032" SS safety wire for strength (little tail showing out, will get Dremeled later) and JB weld in place.

Later Dremel off wire tail & excess that may interfere with spring plunger, black paint touch up and you got this:

You thunk out, pliers bend the flange under belt molding & gasket some ...where the card freely goes in & out like the rain....OH this and lift a industrial syringe and needle from work...... you inject black silicone and seal up the delamination (mine wasn't complete delamination but the edges benefited as I injected all around it... and well so far fixed hatch leaks....
OK found out while washing it - July 28pm update.... dang it dam hatch still leaks...was a flood to a mild puddle now.......but still a porblem...dang it...stay tuned...
Today take off the door panel as in :
[URL="https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/104537-removing-door-panels-on-early-944-any-tips.html"]
Just know there is a little bucket dish of plastic in the inside door opening lever bezel area there with 1 screw....it had my head scratching for a moment.

Anyhow my Ebay find - PO gave me a RH window (photo) as it was slow in the car and at the very bottom it would get stuck....I figured on lubing started with all track and bearing lube....no real improvement. From this spare I saw the motors come off easily and in car position with exactly the 2 length extensions photo, upper one through speaker opening & other easily out.. I pulled current one on the car & found a dry sandy, mixed lube mess in the spiral gearing there....(the good one photo here)

So on the car flooded it with carb cleaner, WD40 and the like, cotton swabbed it (wish I had the long industrial ones) and injected greased it. Cleaned the work gear with wire wheel and ran it a bunch. WOW ...pulled it and did the clean & regrease again. Also pulled little plastic plug and greased the closed end of the motor. So fast now I guess I will do the same with the LH as it now seems was slow in comparison. And I keep the RH spare as a spare for now.

All tools past door removal pictured here & yup I sprayed the S100 preservative I had in stock all over in there for the heck of it...after all this is CNY and I will license it year round (will sit the worst part of winter, but I bought it to use up ......)

Remains to be seen if hinge lasts the assembled pressure, If my delamination is hastened and if the electric window lives longer.....

Last edited by NYFlapjack2; 07-28-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: bummed
Old 07-26-2009, 04:17 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

how hard was it to pull the motor from the window?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:18 PM
NYFlapjack2
Rennlist Member

Default Pulling motor easy

Pulling window motor was easy really, 2 torx bolts 2 wires. Keep the wires (same color blue on my car) straight or I guess your up switch may be down and visa versa....

The motor re-insert was fine too, the multiple times I did it...just wiggle it so the armature shaft helix gear can turn the armature (I think that is the case?). Appears that the helix cut gear on the motor shaft will turn as you pull it and as you re-insert it jiggling it around pressing forward to where the 2 Torx screws do the final 1/8" or so electric motor seating.....

I did it twice to have the 1st grease replace job comingle with the old in there. Up & down multiple times to mix it up. Then Q-tips again out it came and I clean, regreased 2nd time and installed it again.

The spare motor went together without issue too...so I am planning on the LH now for preventative maintenance..guessing 25 years ago the grease probably was top of the line!!!

The long 1/4 drive extension and Torx socket did the back bolt almost hidden one straight on, through my speaker opening in door stamping and they aren't knuckle busting tight... The lower, visible one, easily handles with the shorter extension (pictured).
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Pure Bob Saget
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

today i got the rest of the carpet in, finished painting and recovering the remaining panels. all ready for reinstallation 2maro.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at it some more.

Because yesterday I reindexed torsion bars, broke a brake line, pulled the front shocks to adjust height, fixed what I screwed up 2 years ago, and checked the fit of my fancy new lightweight starter.

Thanks for helping Wipeout!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well so far I have bolted in my drivers side early sport seat, and now I am waiting for the Fedex guy...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today