Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 07:12 PM
CaneTLOTW
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Check GPS Menu in M.I.B GEM.

It can take a couple of minutes before a SAT fix is established.

I have seen issues from time to time with these cheap antennas. For me they always worked.
Old 06-11-2023, 08:25 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CaneTLOTW
Check GPS Menu in M.I.B GEM.

It can take a couple of minutes before a SAT fix is established.

I have seen issues from time to time with these cheap antennas. For me they always worked.
It says, "open" in MIB. Does it need to acquire a signal first before it shows as installed in MIB? I've only tried it while in my garage and without the engine cranked.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:13 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,571 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by incursion
It says, "open" in MIB. Does it need to acquire a signal first before it shows as installed in MIB? I've only tried it while in my garage and without the engine cranked.
You need to have the vehicle in a location where the GPS can 'see' a signal... depending on where the antenna is in the vehicle (how shielded it is) and the structure you are parked in, the antenna may have difficulty or not be able to lock onto the satellites.

Try again outside with a clear view of the sky...

Last edited by Westcoast; 06-12-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:03 PM
jba1
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 718socal
Yes update the map first. Plug in your phone and see if AA works. You should see an icon on your PCM screen if it was loaded.
I tried to load the maps today but it was not successful. The display had "searching for updates" on the top after selecting the SD card as the update source but nothing happened. The card looks like this in case that helps:

Old 07-05-2023, 06:04 PM
jba1
Track Day

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Check the files on the SD card, in particular the one below, rename it as shown to prevent Automatic Installation when the SD card is inserted.

I did notice that even after doing the install several times the swdlautorun did not have an underscore in front of it. Isn't the car supposed to put that in automatically?
Old 07-05-2023, 06:30 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Decided to try this out. Bought a 64gb SD card. Put in my windows computer. Went to format but it's only giving my exFAT as an option. Not FAT32. Will exFat work or should I find an older laptop and try to find Fat32. Someone at work may have one.
The following users liked this post:
CaneTLOTW (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 06:31 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jba1
I did notice that even after doing the install several times the swdlautorun did not have an underscore in front of it. Isn't the car supposed to put that in automatically?
This is a manual edit, not automatic.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:43 PM
jba1
Track Day

This is a manual edit, not automatic.
OK gotcha, guess the videos didn't really cover this. I will try this once I figure out how to get the maps loaded...
Old 07-05-2023, 08:19 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtregan
Decided to try this out. Bought a 64gb SD card. Put in my windows computer. Went to format but it's only giving my exFAT as an option. Not FAT32. Will exFat work or should I find an older laptop and try to find Fat32. Someone at work may have one.
It is not going to help to find a different computer, it is because of the size of the SD card, here is a program tool to allow you to format the SD card or even a USB stick to FAT32. How to Format 64GB SD Card to FAT32 Free Windows 10: 3 Ways (minitool.com)

Old 07-05-2023, 08:52 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I tried to load the maps today but it was not successful. The display had "searching for updates" on the top after selecting the SD card as the update source but nothing happened. The card looks like this in case that helps:

Because SD card format and size was recently mentioned... I thought I would ask/mention a couple of things.
  1. Your picture above shows a USB memory device, we are talking about SD cards for the map update, correct?
  2. Now assuming a SD card, is it formatted in FAT32?
Here is my map update SD card, you can see the format of the device, its size and the file structure for reference.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:03 PM
jba1
Track Day

Because SD card format and size was recently mentioned... I thought I would ask/mention a couple of things.
  1. Your picture above shows a USB memory device, we are talking about SD cards for the map update, correct?
  2. Now assuming a SD card, is it formatted in FAT32?
Here is my map update SD card, you can see the format of the device, its size and the file structure for reference.

I am not sure why it shows up as USB drive, maybe because the adaptor plugs into a usb port on my machine. It is indeed an SD card and is formatted in FAT32.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am not sure why it shows up as USB drive, maybe because the adaptor plugs into a usb port on my machine. It is indeed an SD card and is formatted in FAT32.
Hmmm, So it saw that there was a SD card in Slot 1 but when you selected it, it didn't find the update?

Just another heads up, although I have been successful using a micro SDHC card in an adapter for the map update, I also have had a lot of grief with poor quality microSD to SD adapters failing during the update, so if you are using one, try a different adapter.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:40 PM
jba1
Track Day

Hmmm, So it saw that there was a SD card in Slot 1 but when you selected it, it didn't find the update?

Just another heads up, although I have been successful using a micro SDHC card in an adapter for the map update, I also have had a lot of grief with poor quality microSD to SD adapters failing during the update, so if you are using one, try a different adapter.
Thats right, it just sat on the screen with the wheel turning saying it was looking for the update. It did recognize that there was an SD card in slot one. I did try in slot two just in case, same result. I'll look around to see if I have another adaptor anywhere.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:12 AM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It is not going to help to find a different computer, it is because of the size of the SD card, here is a program tool to allow you to format the SD card or even a USB stick to FAT32. How to Format 64GB SD Card to FAT32 Free Windows 10: 3 Ways (minitool.com)
Thanks, that worked.
Westcoast (07-06-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 12:07 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Here’s the nav view of Vancouver today - late 2022 model year. The 3D city view surprised me, not sure if that is new or not. I definitely noticed the graphic improvements from the 2020 car I recently traded in.

Miggytosh (07-07-2023)

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY