Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 08:37 PM
jba1
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just tried formatting the flash drive. It is going through the process but once I get the the part where I should be able to access the green menu, pressing the physical buttons does nothing and in about 60 seconds the unit reboots and goes through the process again. Any ideas short of re-downloading the file?
Old 05-29-2023, 08:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,670 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by jba1
Just tried formatting the flash drive. It is going through the process but once I get the the part where I should be able to access the green menu, pressing the physical buttons does nothing and in about 60 seconds the unit reboots and goes through the process again. Any ideas short of re-downloading the file?
So you see the part where you 'cancel backup documentation' AND you do this, then the PCM reboots, after 20 seconds you should be able to go into GEM?
Old 05-29-2023, 09:02 PM
jba1
Track Day

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So you see the part where you 'cancel backup documentation' AND you do this, then the PCM reboots, after 20 seconds you should be able to go into GEM?
Correct, the pcm reboots and then when I try to press both buttons nothing happens. When I press nav, it says nav unavailable. The last time I did it I tried pressing the two buttons, then pulled out the SD card so it wouldn't go through the process again which is what it has done several times.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:07 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Correct, the pcm reboots and then when I try to press both buttons nothing happens. When I press nav, it says nav unavailable. The last time I did it I tried pressing the two buttons, then pulled out the SD card so it wouldn't go through the process again which is what it has done several times.
So after about 20 seconds after the reboot, press and hold Tuner+Car for at least 3 seconds... and no GEM?

If no I would suggest a new download of AIO, format the SD card FAT32 and unzip contents into the root of the card and try from scratch.

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-29-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:33 PM
jba1
Track Day

So after about 20 seconds after the reboot, press and hold Tuner+Car for at least 3 seconds... and no GEM?

If no I would suggest a new download of AIO, format the SD card FAT32 and unzip contents into the root of the card and try from scratch.
Sounds like a plan. i have held the buttons multiple times for many seconds, no gem. It does seem the software version has changed when I go into the car section but nothing else seems different
Old 05-30-2023, 01:56 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts
Default SiriusXM Free Offer not enabled ???

Last week I received an email from Porsche announcing that SiriusXM is enabled "free-of-charge" for inactive radios from May-25 to June 5. However, mine is not active after several attempts; all I have is the "free" channel 001, and its Spanish language equivalent.

Just wondering if updating the PCM interfered with this "free" activation??? I don't see how, as I would imagine the XM radio ID is hardware embedded ???

QUESTION: Did anyone else's XM radio activate in North America, having the PCM update installed???

For me, SiriusXM is mildly interesting, but I would never subscribe and actually pay for it. So, I really don't care.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:03 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
Last week I received an email from Porsche announcing that SiriusXM is enabled "free-of-charge" for inactive radios from May-25 to June 5. However, mine is not active after several attempts; all I have is the "free" channel 001, and its Spanish language equivalent.

Just wondering if updating the PCM interfered with this "free" activation??? I don't see how, as I would imagine the XM radio ID is hardware embedded ???

QUESTION: Did anyone else's XM radio activate in North America, having the PCM update installed???

For me, SiriusXM is mildly interesting, but I would never subscribe and actually pay for it. So, I really don't care.
I did the NAV retrofit and I have the free SiriusXM. Used it all day yesterday.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:05 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
I did the NAV retrofit and I have the free SiriusXM. Used it all day yesterday.
Thanks... So you just tuned to XM and all the channels were there ?? or was some other acknowledgement needed?
Old 05-30-2023, 02:07 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks... So you just tuned to XM and all the channels were there ?? or was some other acknowledgement needed?
Just chose SAT as source and picked a channel. Seems like all the channels work but i didn't try more than a couple.
The following users liked this post:
Fast-Eddie (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 02:26 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

If you usually have the car in the garage it might not be picking up the "update" signal. SXM sends out periodic signals to turn on/off radios, enable things, etc.. Since the car can't talk to SXM (it's only one way: TO the radio) you have to "catch" the update signal at the right time. Try going for a longer drive for the radio to perhaps pick up the signal. That or - call SXM and ask them to specifically send the signal out to your radio.

Right before I moved, I'd finally unloaded two older Alpine XM receivers - that were both "live". I'd unplugged them years ago before canceling the subscription... and at some point, XM stops beaming the "cancel" signal for their serial numbers. So both never got the "cancel" signal and as such, remained live. My buddy is listening to both of them
The following 2 users liked this post by daaa nope:
Fast-Eddie (05-30-2023), TubaFreak (05-30-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 12:28 AM
Zebra1975
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When it's finished loading the software, and its time to go into Gem, try going into a different screen, like source, or car, or input. I forgot which one it was. I had a similar issue like yours, it wouldn't go into gem, but after changing to a different screen, it worked. Give it a try
Old 06-07-2023, 06:31 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

So Sima unlocked AA last year on my 2022 GT4, but I keep experiencing a bug with Google Maps and Waze wherein the screen will freeze when the phone sleeps but will resume after I wake my phone. This has happened with two different phones (Pixel 6 & 7), wired and wireless, and I've tried every setting that's been suggested on Reddit and Google's support forums.

So I had him unlock the navigation even though I don't have the GPS antenna, and now my dash lights won't turn off. I started the engine and let the car go to idle. Then shut it off and locked the car, and the dash finally went off. However, it spontaneously came back on about ten minutes later as I was finishing ceramic coating my car. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-07-2023, 07:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by incursion
So Sima unlocked AA last year on my 2022 GT4, but I keep experiencing a bug with Google Maps and Waze wherein the screen will freeze when the phone sleeps but will resume after I wake my phone. This has happened with two different phones (Pixel 6 & 7), wired and wireless, and I've tried every setting that's been suggested on Reddit and Google's support forums.

So I had him unlock the navigation even though I don't have the GPS antenna, and now my dash lights won't turn off. I started the engine and let the car go to idle. Then shut it off and locked the car, and the dash finally went off. However, it spontaneously came back on about ten minutes later as I was finishing ceramic coating my car. Anyone have any ideas?
Maybe time to reach back out to Sima and have him fix the problem?
Old 06-07-2023, 08:04 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Maybe time to reach back out to Sima and have him fix the problem?
I did, but he basically said I'm on my own.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by incursion
I did, but he basically said I'm on my own.
Well, isn't that nice... Check your PM's

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY