Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 01:12 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
That being said have you installed anything via the process here? The reason I ask, is what are you looking to do? It likely has the GPS antenna considering the build date, I would recommend the AIO process, easier and faster,
Thanks Al. After reading your response, I realized, the AIO is the auto-install bootstrap. So, just inserting the SD card, kicks off the install. And, you called it right regarding the antenna; it was found to be installed. The service tech said it wasn't present, when it went in for the exhaust mods. He probably looked at the wrong place or didn't even bother; just made it up! So, I got lucked out. And, thanks for reaching out. Really appreciate it. If I ever visit your neck of the woods, will buy a lunch and a few rounds!

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
2. I think you need to have the SD card inserted or PCM rebooting from SD card to access GEM. I don't think GEM is 'generally available' with out the SD card inserted.
2. You will need the SD card with MIB in the PCM to access anything other than the Production GEM options. So for checking the GPS antenna, the SD card must be in the PCM.
Yeah, the SD had to be in there.

So, AIO installation went smoothly. Got the NAV working. Thanks again gentlemen. However, the NAV audio doesn't mute the stereo low-enough to be heard! With the top down, stereo on and hear-plugs on (I use them when on freeways to minimize wind noise), the NAV audio can't be heard at all! It mutes the stereo very little. Would need to be watching the small window for exits and turns. Is there a way to make it mute the stereo all the way down? Aftermarket NAVs are much better.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:59 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Thanks Al. After reading your response, I realized, the AIO is the auto-install bootstrap. So, just inserting the SD card, kicks off the install. And, you called it right regarding the antenna; it was found to be installed. The service tech said it wasn't present, when it went in for the exhaust mods. He probably looked at the wrong place or didn't even bother; just made it up! So, I got lucked out. And, thanks for reaching out. Really appreciate it. If I ever visit your neck of the woods, will buy a lunch and a few rounds!
I'm in!

Yeah, the SD had to be in there.

So, AIO installation went smoothly. Got the NAV working. Thanks again gentlemen. However, the NAV audio doesn't mute the stereo low-enough to be heard! With the top down, stereo on and hear-plugs on (I use them when on freeways to minimize wind noise), the NAV audio can't be heard at all! It mutes the stereo very little. Would need to be watching the small window for exits and turns. Is there a way to make it mute the stereo all the way down? Aftermarket NAVs are much better.
On PCM 4 start from either NAV or MAP:
  • press OPTION
  • select SOUND
  • select VOLUME
  • scroll to see setting for the volume of the NAV ANNOUNCMENT

I was also reading the previous 3.1 PCM manual, it confirms the same, that you could turn up the NAV announcement, but I do not see any way to adjust the volume of the music playing in the background...

Old 05-24-2023, 12:45 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

I'm in!

On PCM 4 start from either NAV or MAP:
  • press OPTION
This is awesome; thanks, Al. Will poke around the options this afternoon. Have a road trip coming up this Friday; so, hoping to sort all these out.

You know what, we actually could meet! One of my grand road trips planned for the future is to drive from San Diego to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Victoria, BC is on the way!! How about that!! But, first, I need to get my sorry a$$ out of this frozen tundra, aka Minnesota, to San Diego! That itself is a few years out!

Old 05-24-2023, 01:19 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is awesome; thanks, Al. Will poke around the options this afternoon. Have a road trip coming up this Friday; so, hoping to sort all these out.

You know what, we actually could meet! One of my grand road trips planned for the future is to drive from San Diego to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Victoria, BC is on the way!! How about that!! But, first, I need to get my sorry a$$ out of this frozen tundra, aka Minnesota, to San Diego! That itself is a few years out!
Cool, now that would be quite the road trip, and a long one at that! I haven't made it that far north by car yet, but I have done many trips down to San Diego over the years. We might even be back through that way after Rennsport Reunion in September.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:46 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 304 Posts

Cool, now that would be quite the road trip, and a long one at that! I haven't made it that far north by car yet, but I have done many trips down to San Diego over the years. We might even be back through that way after Rennsport Reunion in September.
Wow that would be a nice road trip. I have driven LA-Vancouver a few times same day many years ago. We can meet up after Rennsport if you decide to head south.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:56 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718socal
Wow that would be a nice road trip. I have driven LA-Vancouver a few times same day many years ago. We can meet up after Rennsport if you decide to head south.
Sure, I will keep that in mind and as we get closer to the date firm something up!
718socal (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 01:32 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, it'll be a multi-month trip on the road, with no specific end date! We could spend a few days at many cities along the way and soak up the local cultures.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:53 PM
jba1
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So I am trying to do this update and it gets to the "Start Backup Documentation Screen" then restarts as normal. Once it does, it stays on for about 45 seconds then restarts the whole update process again. Any advice? I have not been able to get into the green text menu either by holding down tuner + car. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2023, 03:42 AM
CaneTLOTW
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you using Swdlautorun?
remove SD card before confirming „Start Backup…“
Old 05-29-2023, 10:34 AM
jba1
Track Day

I'm not sure if I am using swdl auto run, I just downloaded the file and extracted it to the SD card. I will try removing the SD card at that stage and report back.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:43 PM
jba1
Track Day

Removing the SD card when you click start backup... on the backup screen seemed to make it so the unit didn't continually restart. But the nav option is still not there and pressing car + tuner is not getting it to go into the green text menu. Any advice on next steps?
Old 05-29-2023, 02:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jba1
Removing the SD card when you click start backup... on the backup screen seemed to make it so the unit didn't continually restart. But the nav option is still not there and pressing car + tuner is not getting it to go into the green text menu. Any advice on next steps?
  • Can you confirm the file name that you downloaded?
  • Are you using the physical buttons on the PCM to attempt to get into GEM
  • GEM although accessible via Car+Tuner, doesn't do much, you need to have the SD card in the PCM to access MIB, slot1 is your best bet. You can comment out 'Swdlautorun' once you have [size=13px]successfully[/size] run AIO
Old 05-29-2023, 04:23 PM
jba1
Track Day

The filename I downloaded is "MHI2_US_POG11_K5186_1_MU1476_AIO_20220723.7z"

I was using the physical buttons to no avail with the SD card in and out.

Should I try commenting out Swdlautorun?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2023, 04:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jba1
The filename I downloaded is "MHI2_US_POG11_K5186_1_MU1476_AIO_20220723.7z"

I was using the physical buttons to no avail with the SD card in and out.

Should I try commenting out Swdlautorun?

Thanks!
Well, that is definitely the correct file, and since it was recognized and started it's run it should have completed! IIRC after the first complete run the 'Swdlautorun' gets commented out so it shouldn't mess things up. Did you want the tutorial video and follow all of the steps there? (link to video below)

You need to hold the two physical buttons for about 3 seconds, if they don't take you into GEM then I believe that the AIO did not complete correctly as per the instructions below, re-run.

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
718socal (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 07:13 PM
jba1
Track Day

Looks like it's time to try the oldest fix in the book. Format sd card, re extract and try again. I'll report back.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY