Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 12:15 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
992 vs 991.2 at Road Atlanta is something like 2 seconds faster I think is what I was told. 992 is turning 1:25's and I think the 1.2 is around 1:27's........the pucker ****er is high with a 3pt going into the Esses there.
And GT4 is 1:32.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:26 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
The primary advantage that the double wishbone front gives you VS MacPherson strut is way more dynamic camber. The more suspension compression you have going into a turn, the more dynamic negative camber of the wheel you get on double wishbones.

Don't get hung up on spring rates. It's not too meaningful to compare the higher spring rates of the double wishbone 992 GT3 to those of the strut 991. To achieve the same wheel rate (overall "stiffness"), double wishbones would require a MUCH higher spring rate than a MacPherson strut spring rate would. The double wishbone design exerts greater leverage on the spring than a strut design does. However on double wishbones, you don't want the spring to be TOO stiff because that can reduce the dynamic compression to a point that it negates the advantage of the dynamic camber that the double wishbones give you.
What you are stating is true regarding strut vs double wishbone suspension in regards to the relationship between wheel rate and spring rates. It all comes down to selecting the right spring rates to keep the selected tires working at their optimum range under acceleration, braking, lateral loads etc.

But even on a double wishbone suspension you don't want to increase camber too much under braking due to diving to keep the front tire contact patch as stable as possible and to prevent significant changes in toe geometry, so running stiffer spring rates on the front helps with that as well.. If you notice my avatar that is a NSX which was my old track car..

Keep in mind what the actual article stated:
Originally Posted by evo.co.uk
Damping and spring rates have been set up to reduce body roll, pitch and dive under braking and acceleration

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 10-21-2021 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 10-21-2021, 12:37 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by jwr9152
And GT4 is 1:32.
Ya....Keen has big ***** on that time....though I wonder if it had R tires if he could have dropped that time a little more.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:12 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
Ya....Keen has big ***** on that time....though I wonder if it had R tires if he could have dropped that time a little more.
Yep, he's moving, makes me feel inadequate. Pretty sure he could drop another 2-3 seconds on R's
Old 10-21-2021, 01:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
The primary advantage that the double wishbone front gives you VS MacPherson strut is way more dynamic camber. The more suspension compression you have going into a turn, the more dynamic negative camber of the wheel you get on double wishbones.

Don't get hung up on spring rates. It's not too meaningful to compare the higher spring rates of the double wishbone 992 GT3 to those of the strut 991. To achieve the same wheel rate (overall "stiffness"), double wishbones would require a MUCH higher spring rate than a MacPherson strut spring rate would. The double wishbone design exerts greater leverage on the spring than a strut design does. However on double wishbones, you don't want the spring to be TOO stiff because that can reduce the dynamic compression to a point that it negates the advantage of the dynamic camber that the double wishbones give you.
Yes exactly, I wish more people understood this... The advantage of more sophisticated suspension, comes at the extremes of cornering, especially if there's a bumpy surface, so you can keep the wheel more perpendicular and connected to the ground more of the time. so many people profess to feel a difference, between the cars handling with different suspension even at less than extreme cornering angles at speed... When in reality what they're feeling is placebo a fact, tire sidewall, and programming of the steering rack. Suspension most the time hasn't even come in to play.

You could for most people into thinking you've put a different suspension on their car just by blinding them to different tire pressures... It's so funny when all the new 992 GT3 Owners Drive on the street and tell you how much better the car handles... Suspension still hasn't gotten out of bed

Last edited by CAlexio; 10-21-2021 at 01:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CAlexio:
MM3.9GT3 (10-21-2021), Nate Tempest (06-06-2022), thuggo (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 01:33 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yes exactly, I wish more people understood this... The advantage of more sophisticated suspension, comes at the extremes of cornering, especially if there's a bumpy surface, so you can keep the wheel more perpendicular and connected to the ground more of the time. so many people profess to feel a difference, between the cars handling with different suspension even at less than extreme cornering angles at speed... When in reality what they're feeling is placebo a fact, tire sidewall, and programming of the steering rack. Suspension most the time hasn't even come in to play.

You could for most people into thinking you've put a different suspension on their car just by blinding them to different tire pressures... It's so funny when all the new 992 GT3 Owners Drive on the street and tell you how much better the car handles... Suspension still hasn't gotten out of bed
It will show up very quickly on the front tire wear if they are pushing the car either on the backroads or at the track, the nasty outside shoulder scrubbing off of the front tires that happens on the cars with the front strut suspension should be less prevalent with the car with the double wishbone front suspension at the same static negative camber settings.

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 10-21-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: clarify
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 01:34 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
This was posted on the GT4 RS engine speculation thread, so doubt that many 992 GT3's will be seeing the rear end of the GT4 RS.

https://youtu.be/wtONvLbTPl4
I know I’ve lost a lot of fidelity in my hearing, but listening to that, the engines sound the same to me.

Also, it’s interesting to see the differences in throttle application between the two. Not sure how much time it accounts for, but the GT4RS should/could be faster than it’s “official” time if were driven in the same manner as the GT3 in that video.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:46 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by raymort
I know I’ve lost a lot of fidelity in my hearing, but listening to that, the engines sound the same to me.

Also, it’s interesting to see the differences in throttle application between the two. Not sure how much time it accounts for, but the GT4RS should/could be faster than it’s “official” time if were driven in the same manner as the GT3 in that video.
The GT3 can put the power down due to it been RR and the e-lsd helping and the multi-link rear suspension, it's ridiculously hooked up. The GT4 RS driver can't do the same due to the weight distribution, and mechanical LSD as well as the less sophisticated rear suspension.

The GT3 engine has better response due to the ITB's, doubt that the GT4 RS engine has ITB's based on the sound of the engine and how the engine responds to throttle application..

The GT3 probably has left time on the table, doubt that the GT4 RS left too much time given how unsettled the car was.

Again just my 2 cents.

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 10-21-2021 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-21-2021, 02:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
The GT3 engine has better response due to the ITB's, doubt that the GT4 RS engine has ITB's based on the sound of the engine and how the engine responds to throttle application..
I think if the GT4 RS is using a GT3 engine, it has to be the one with ITB's for emissions compliance.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:13 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Love that comparison video. Shared it with some friends - including one guy who has a 992 GT3 on order. Seems we've mostly come to similar conclusions. The GT3 just looks planted. He's flat in a lot of areas in the first 2-3 mins of video that the GT4 isn't. GT4 also seems to move around a bit more and looks like he's gotta work it harder to get the nose pointed in. My buddy drove a new GT3 in anger at Dream Racing in Vegas last week and said the turn-in and nose in general was AMAZING. (For reference he does know how to drive, raced GTB1 a number of years in PCA and co-drives with me in WRL...)

I also would not be completely astonished to find they are trying to hold the GT4 back a tiny bit. I feel like, after watching the GT4's lap, maybe some more setup work is needed to help settle the car a bit.

What I found really impressive.... the GT4 almost looked to be catching up to the GT3 on the straights. Acceleration looks pretty wicked!!!

This car will be a bad-*** either way!

(Still... no manual = I won't be looking for one)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:24 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think if the GT4 RS is using a GT3 engine, it has to be the one with ITB's for emissions compliance.
I see. The GT3 engine sounds like it has a higher pitch than the one on the GT4 RS and revs to redline quicker, if it is the same GT3 engine with the ITB's I wonder how it was sandbagged/detuned.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:30 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Love that comparison video. Shared it with some friends - including one guy who has a 992 GT3 on order. Seems we've mostly come to similar conclusions. The GT3 just looks planted. He's flat in a lot of areas in the first 2-3 mins of video that the GT4 isn't. GT4 also seems to move around a bit more and looks like he's gotta work it harder to get the nose pointed in. My buddy drove a new GT3 in anger at Dream Racing in Vegas last week and said the turn-in and nose in general was AMAZING. (For reference he does know how to drive, raced GTB1 a number of years in PCA and co-drives with me in WRL...)

I also would not be completely astonished to find they are trying to hold the GT4 back a tiny bit. I feel like, after watching the GT4's lap, maybe some more setup work is needed to help settle the car a bit.

What I found really impressive.... the GT4 almost looked to be catching up to the GT3 on the straights. Acceleration looks pretty wicked!!!

This car will be a bad-*** either way!

(Still... no manual = I won't be looking for one)
Yup, the GT4 RS looked quite unsettled, even compared to the GT4 MR on regular Cup 2s, and I suspect it would benefit greatly from a better setup/alignment.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:30 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

@2slow2speed Intake and/or fuel flow restrictors come to mind. Its one method the governing racing bodies achieve Balance of Power (BoP) between vastly different engine configurations of the competitors.

I have a feeling tuners are going to LOVE fussing with this GT4RS.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Great analysis and raises some interesting questions.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:14 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

As Misha explained in his video, the absence of the front air vents is most likely not keeping the front planted enough. Thus the driver has to stab the throttle to induce lift off oversteer in oder to shift weight to the front to rotate the car...this is so suboptimal and likely costing several seconds on such a long lap (can see this vs the GT4 MR which has inferior tires in Misha's vid). Once you have all the front DF elements working the car will most likely be perfectly balanced and won't have to resort to this on/off stabbing of the throttle to induce rotation. It totally makes sense now that Porsche released this as "the" n ring time... it's fast enough to get GT4 /RS drivers excited, but not too fast encroach on GT3 territory. I would not expect another official time from Porsche, as they accomplished exactly what they needed to in order to keep clientele's perceptions happy across the GT3 and GT4 platforms. This time was totally sandbagged (probably only Porsche would ever have to resort to that lol but the 911 protection situation is so unique).. and not just due to the DF, but in the other things that Misha points out (driver, brake issues, only trying a couple of times, etc)

I think we'll see in the real world much closer performance and I think in amateur hands, the 4RS may even surpass the GT3 because will be easier to drive.

Last edited by FogCitySF; 10-21-2021 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (10-21-2021)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS