Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 09:26 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I would only consider buying the gt4rs if it was reasonably priced compared to the other gr cars, and would never pay ADM for it.
This!
Now we are starting to be a more realistic....this GT4RS has the Cup 2R and PDK advantage over a regular GT4 Official 'Ring Time.
But as Manifold says price has to be reasonable, other wise you might go for a 992 GT3 or just upgrade your GT4.
It's really strange they took a testing mule for the official lap time, not even sure how the 'Ring allowed a non production car to set an official lap time.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:30 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

The cheater Cup 2 R tires costs $3k a set and provides its Hoosier R7 level of grip for only a couple days, so it's not a usable tire for the real world, just something to post these lap times on what it is claimed to be a 'street' tire.

I can believe 12 secs should be added to 'ring lap time to get a Cup 2 time, so about 7:21 for the GT4RS sounds about right, which should be faster than the 991.1 GT3, not as fast the 991.2 GT3, and certainly not as fast as the 992 GT3.
One of the local instructors decide to try them...they were good a full second on a 1:03-1:04 track (1.3 miles) but only last two 15 lap hits with good grip. After that they started to degrade very fast.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:41 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,411 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This!
Now we are starting to be a more realistic....this GT4RS has the Cup 2R and PDK advantage over a regular GT4 Official 'Ring Time.
But as Manifold says price has to be reasonable, other wise you might go for a 992 GT3 or just upgrade your GT4.
It's really strange they took a testing mule for the official lap time, not even sure how the 'Ring allowed a non production car to set an official lap time.
There's plenty of hype because 7:09 sounds really impressive and everyone wants a magic car which combines being mid-engine and an RS. But the laws of physics are the same for all cars, and this car isn't going to be magically faster than the rear-engine GT cars, which have already been engineered to have great handling. Put all of these cars on the same tires on the same track on the same day with the same pro driver, and I think you'll see the lap times line up in the same order as the sticker prices (without options).

I was at the track this past weekend in my old 991.1 GT3 with the regular Cup 2 tires which were pretty worn out. In the top run group, where most of the other cars are on Hoosiers or slicks, many of them being race cars, I handily passed lots of cars (including a 991.2 GT3), and was passed by only a few (all race cars on slicks). You don't need the 'latest and greatest' GT to be fast and 'compete' in DE.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-26-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:55 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

You don't need the 'latest and greatest' GT to be fast and 'compete' in DE.
True....investing in being a better driver with a few sensible upgrades (brakes/suspension) is the best way to go most of the time. Never the less, it's nice to have a really good car and take it to DEs.
We do a TT at the end of Sunday and usually I'm in the top 3...beaten by GT3s (not RSs) that are driven by instructors and modded similarly to mine.
My GT4 PDK do have upgrades and I use "cheater Tires"...Pirelli DHs, I don't waste time with Cup 2Rs
I loose most of the time on the main straight (1/2 mile) and back straight (1/4 mile).....maybe the RS can fix this???? It all comes down to $$$$$$
Old 10-26-2021, 10:32 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
True. Plan to go 4.5 in my Spyder as well...the package is just too tempting. My car is already frenetic with shorter gears and 4.0...cant imagine what the DeMan setup is like.
I know that you have done so much to your Spyder that it is hard to remember a single mod... but who and how much was the gear change in your car?
Old 10-26-2021, 10:46 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I know that you have done so much to your Spyder that it is hard to remember a single mod... but who and how much was the gear change in your car?

This is a ballpark at pretty close suggested retail prices.....without labor

2nd Gear + main shaft: $2.5
3rd, 4th and 5th: $1k each
New LWFW with upgrade pressure plate/disc: $2K
If you want you can also upgrade the LSD to a Guard unit..they are so much better than OEM: $2.5K
So all in it's about $10K plus labor....

The Deman 4.5 is around $35K without the above...but that was for the 9A1 which required a complete new intake manifold, X51 heads w/ intake cams.
Not sure if the 9A2 requires a new intake (we already have an upgraded one) and the heads probably they just do a port/polish/3 angle valve job.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:53 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is a ballpark at pretty close suggested retail prices.....without labor

2nd Gear + main shaft: $2.5
3rd, 4th and 5th: $1k each
New LWFW with upgrade pressure plate/disc: $2K
If you want you can also upgrade the LSD to a Guard unit..they are so much better than OEM: $2.5K
So all in it's about $10K plus labor....

The Deman 4.5 is around $35K without the above...but that was for the 9A1 which required a complete new intake manifold, X51 heads w/ intake cams.
Not sure if the 9A2 requires a new intake (we already have an upgraded one) and the heads probably they just do a port/polish/3 angle valve job.
Regarding the engine, I would only consider that part of the equation if it were the 9A2 Evo package.

Transmission, wow basically $1000 a gear, worse than lithium for EV batteries! As long as the OEM LSD can handle the power I would retain it.

As for the LWFW, I prefer the dual-mass set up for street-ability and NVH qualities so hopefully and upgraded clutch and pressure plate would work there as well?
Old 10-26-2021, 10:58 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Regarding the engine, I would only consider that part of the equation if it were the 9A2 Evo package.

Transmission, wow basically $1000 a gear, worse than lithium for EV batteries! As long as the OEM LSD can handle the power I would retain it.

As for the LWFW, I prefer the dual-mass set up for street-ability and NVH qualities so hopefully and upgraded clutch and pressure plate would work there as well?

Yes...the engine is a whole new package for the 9A2 EVO but with similar results to the 9A1.
You can skip the LSD, no problem and the upgraded pressure/ plate and disc will fit to the OEM flywheel.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:01 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 754 Posts

Just to add to @jmartpr costing. I just did a complete 1-6 short ratio stack with new forks, synchros and other small parts. Off the top of my head it's roughly $10K USD in parts and a few grand in labour incl re/re tranny. This was for a 993 C2S. Using Guard Transmission gear set/main shaft, OE synchros, OE/California Motorsports shift forks.

New Guard LSD around $3K USD. I want to add this later.

Difference is fantastic. So it's a highly recommended mod to extract more performance.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:35 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes...the engine is a whole new package for the 9A2 EVO but with similar results to the 9A1.
You can skip the LSD, no problem and the upgraded pressure/ plate and disc will fit to the OEM flywheel.
Hmmmm, this is getting interesting, I find the current 4.0l engine quite good on the street, transmission gears might be next...

Originally Posted by SToronto
Just to add to @jmartpr costing. I just did a complete 1-6 short ratio stack with new forks, synchros and other small parts. Off the top of my head it's roughly $10K USD in parts and a few grand in labour incl re/re tranny. This was for a 993 C2S. Using Guard Transmission gear set/main shaft, OE synchros, OE/California Motorsports shift forks.

New Guard LSD around $3K USD. I want to add this later.

Difference is fantastic. So it's a highly recommended mod to extract more performance.
Thanks for the details, a more powerful engine is always nice but with shorter gears what I have is likely more than enough for how I use the car. Or at least this could be a good first step.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:39 AM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

If 991.2 gt3 time of 7:13 was using the regular cup 2, it’s a good bit faster than the Gt4rs.

My rule of thumb is that, to translate ring times to US tracks, 5 secs on the ring is a noticeable difference, 10 secs on the ring is about the same as going from regular Cup 2 to Hoosiers, which is a pretty big difference, but not necessarily worth spending lots of money on upgrading the car to get that difference.

I would only consider buying the gt4rs if it was reasonably priced compared to the other gr cars, and would never pay ADM for it.
As mentioned, there's still 4-5 secs left in the GT4 RS ring time...at that point, it's very close to the .2 GT3. Agree not worth the ADM.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:39 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Hmmmm, this is getting interesting, I find the current 4.0l engine quite good on the street, transmission gears might be next...

Thanks for the details, a more powerful engine is always nice but with shorter gears what I have is likely more than enough for how I use the car. Or at least this could be a good first step.
Yes I think doing the gears with the engine you have would be a good entry point. Keeping in mind what ratios would be beneficial for the 4.5. Guard has tons of choice. The saying goes in the 993 world that it feels like 50 extra hp. While I don't know what that exact number feels like, I recall driving home with my car back in July and it really did feel like it has noticeably more power. Of course it doesn't, but because you are always in the right rev range in every gear for the engine, you get all the power and feel from it.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 12:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,411 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by FogCitySF
As mentioned, there's still 4-5 secs left in the GT4 RS ring time...at that point, it's very close to the .2 GT3. Agree not worth the ADM.
I didn't read the analysis claiming there's 4-5 secs left. I'm suspicious of that claim. But in principle, I can see the 4RS being not too far off the .2 GT3 on equal tires, as long as the price is also close to the .2 GT3. Paying ADM is silly IMO, but I guess some people have the money and lust after the car.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Yes I think doing the gears with the engine you have would be a good entry point. Keeping in mind what ratios would be beneficial for the 4.5. Guard has tons of choice. The saying goes in the 993 world that it feels like 50 extra hp. While I don't know what that exact number feels like, I recall driving home with my car back in July and it really did feel like it has noticeably more power. Of course it doesn't, but because you are always in the right rev range in every gear for the engine, you get all the power and feel from it.
So I checked out the Guard site, no information on gear ratios and they suggest using one of their recommended 'partners' to obtain the product, did you have to use a partner or go direct to Guard? As I am on the west coast I see there is a dealer/partner in Vancouver.

Also I see on the Deman site they list a set of ratios and say exclusive, I wonder if these ratios are available or perhaps one would have to go through Deman for them?

Last edited by Westcoast; 10-26-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:05 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

So I checked out the Guard site, no information on gear ratios and they suggest using one of their recommended 'partners' to obtain the product, did you have to use a partner or go direct to Guard? As I am on the west coast I see there is a dealer/partner in Vancouver.

Also I see on the Deman site they list a set of ratios and say exclusive, I wonder if these ratios are available or perhaps one would have to go through Deman for them?
Guard doesn't sell to end user. There is a shop in Toronto that is a dealer, don't recall name off hand. However I bought from California Motorsports, Guard said they are the largest US dealer. I was buying other items from Cali, so just went with that and Roger was helpful in discussions.

I don't see GT4 gears on their site, but if you take a look at 993, GT3 or Cup Car gear tables, you'll get a sense of what's possible.

Reach out to Matt at Guard, he's the owner and answers the phone. He should be able to help get you started.

I did research from others with 993s who did the ratio improvement. To get a sense of what ratios to consider. I also used a wicked plotter online to map out and visualize what's possible. Then took the plunge.

Last edited by SToronto; 10-26-2021 at 03:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (10-26-2021)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS