Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:37 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Sam. Its been an interesting journey all right. Lots of learning and "first adopter" pains and expenses. With what i know now I could probably offer three levels of packages for 993 owners who wanted recommendations on different levels of development of their cars LOL!

You are correct the latest round of work is probably the most mechanically intensive since we moved the engine to MAP/LINK with lumpier cams and solid lifters back in 2010. However unlike that very long, painful learning excericse (discovering virtually no one including LINK n NZ at that time had tuned a 993 road car 3.6) this time it looks like we have actually got some benefits for the effort and $$$. Dean now believes my box has been on the out for a number of years (possibly 4-5) and the track temps just accelerated the wear to failure. The original LSD I bought was the chocolate variant fitted as an option to the 993 which was always touted to be next to useless on the track (which would subsequently wear it out within a few track days). The new one not only has the correct ramp angles but is the famous Guards unit which is recognised as being bulletproof for a long time. It should make a bog difference on track. The brakes were already good but are now even stronger and better. More an investment in saftey and the future (increase in HP etc downstream).

To be honest this round of work has exhausted me. Financially Ive spent the equivalent of a cheap 964 Tipo. My wifes patience is beyond wearing thin and I am essentially trading on the goodwill of my 2015/2016 car budgets which are now defunct as a result. I have the GT3 is also needing a bit of spend to get geo checked, bypass pipe, some small cosmetics attended to to my liking etc, so after all of this I will be laying very low for a long time on cars and just using the both of them to my maximum enjoyment over the next few years. I have new spare tyres for the GT3 and the 993 so hopefully set for a while now fingers crossed!
Has anyone heard that before.....
Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ She looks beautiful John, even skirtless. You'll be like a kid a Christmas!

^^^ Macca - speechless mate. There's a LOT of Christmases in those mods, and as you're a born researcher the list should be invaluable to others wanting to scratch an itch for their 993s. Still dying to see her - might see if I can slip down on the 19th. Enjoyed the Vanuatu volcano vid too thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

John. What work did you have done? She looks a bit nose high there. Have you had the geo done on her yet?
I had the rear shocks fitted, sill black road coating reapplied and damaged quarter paint sorted (protective clear decal lifted the clear coat and a bit of colour).

So I now have 4 new Michelin N rated tyres, four new Bilstein HDs, new control arm bushes and a bit of cosmetic tidy up. I have new sill rubber coming this week and have all new fixings for the sills and shark fin. Next step is to get Peter Adler to reset geo and height.

I hate driving her because it reminds me how great that engine is. Completely different to the NA 964. Low reving and lots of torque.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz

^^^ Macca - speechless mate. There's a LOT of Christmases in those mods, and as you're a born researcher the list should be invaluable to others wanting to scratch an itch for their 993s. Still dying to see her - might see if I can slip down on the 19th. Enjoyed the Vanuatu volcano vid too thanks.
Hi Walt. Thanks. Yes, plenty of trial and error in this car. There are a good number of modifications I would not attempt again (project and cost creep for small returns). As Sam identified the Carbon stuff particularly in the interior is all expensive eye candy. The interior as previously notes still was the single most expensive part of the car to get to my liking and its still a work in progress I guess. In a perfect world I would order the Recaro Pole Position seats in classic grey from Southbound along with the rear RS carpet with custom "anniversary" embroidery. But we are talking a $8-9K project, custom made, shipped and fitted - for only cosmetic benefit. The last few years have been about improvements to handling so that's where the $$$ have gone and after almost 13 years of trouble free running a number of longer term maintenance and lifed issues such as the infamous air con Evaporator replacement (12 hour labour job) and the gearbox, drive shafts, wheel bearings, and CV joints etc finally caught up with me recently. Seems the older she gets the harder she gets pushed which again has its costs....
Old 06-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Walt. Both cars are at CCS at the moment so you may catch them when picking up your own car...
Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I had the rear shocks fitted, sill black road coating reapplied and damaged quarter paint sorted (protective clear decal lifted the clear coat and a bit of colour).

So I now have 4 new Michelin N rated tyres, four new Bilstein HDs, new control arm bushes and a bit of cosmetic tidy up. I have new sill rubber coming this week and have all new fixings for the sills and shark fin. Next step is to get Peter Adler to reset geo and height.

I hate driving her because it reminds me how great that engine is. Completely different to the NA 964. Low revving and lots of torque.
John. Thats a good list and glad to see the 964T now coming in for some TLC. You wont regret it Im sure...

The more I think about the Integra doing 1.27 on road tyres the more I think we have a very high bar there to reach. They must be running that thing absolutely ragged. If you accept putting Z221 and decent geo on that car would yield a 1.24 just as it is today and you think a number on here with 60+K invested in their 911s were doing similar numbers only 12 months ago - its a hell of an achievement and I dont think should be taken lightly. A number of folks on here such as Chris, Matt, Paul, Pete and John may have more laps at HD under their belt than the average 2K cup runner but I reckon theres a "reckless" component to running a Integra 1.8L like our BB to 1.27 or below on street tyres and Im not sure who here in the face of such mechanical adversity has big enough ***** to put their neck on the line to beat such times. Maybe Chris & Paul? Its a big task and I hope we all put our safety ahead of our competitive spirit (mmmm probably until the guy waves us onto the track I guess!).
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
She is special to me. So many rough times overseas were made bearable by returning to my NZ storage unit and taking her for a drive. Ultimately she will end up with a glass out respray but first comes a few miles. A very useable 1990s super car.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^
Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I agree re BB. He ran her on cheap tyres AND cheap pads. That is mostly the 2kcup ethos and it may take us some time to come close.

Right now it looks like just Dave and me on Saturday. Maybe we will break 1:30 but I suspect we will be closer to 1:35. There is 2kcup racing on Sunday and I may take the Turbo 3.6 for a drive to watch their technique.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Macca, I agree re BB. He ran her on cheap tyres AND cheap pads. That is mostly the 2kcup ethos and it may take us some time to come close.

Right now it looks like just Dave and me on Saturday. Maybe we will break 1:30 but I suspect we will be closer to 1:35. There is 2kcup racing on Sunday and I may take the Turbo 3.6 for a drive to watch their technique.
So the car should be ready today all going well.
New EBC yellow pads on 4 corners, discs skimmed and new fluid all fitted by the pro's. I've asked them to do a safety check as well because 2k ain't going to come with a fresh chassis or anything close and we don't know whats under there.
I have no advice for anyone driving this thing other than to make yourselves comfortable that it is all there prior to tackling turn one at any speed.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:06 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately the mod budget has come to an end. There will be no more mods over the next few years

Whatever mate - it's an addiction...................

My name is Macca and I have a six figure car addiction............
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

. Collected the Turbo 3.6 this morning and will assemble the sills tonight. Plan is to put road trip miles on this car for a few years. What a drive this car is.
'Like'
Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I have no advice for anyone driving this thing other than to make yourselves comfortable that it is all there prior to tackling turn one at any speed.
Sage advice I should say...Paul is first up then ;-)
Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Whatever mate - it's an addiction...................

My name is Macca and I have a six figure car addiction............
Yeah. trust me. Im having trouble believing it too. But the word "divorce" is more expensive and scary than not fuelling my addiction!

On the subject of keeping the missus happy...

We need a car for the missus in NZ from 22 December for 3-4 weeks. The "rental car debacle" has scared us away from long term rentals. Last visit we put some money in the pocket of a friend for Jo to use their redundant (and for sale) 2006 Golf.

Shame we sold the M5 but no garage space. Have suggested she use the GT3 but she visits malls and doesnt want the responsibility and hassle of locating "GT3 safe parking zones" Actually Im relieved as its very low and shes a fan of multi level parking!

If anyone has a possible solution happy to flick some coin to make it work. Doesnt have to be a princess ride, my hubby is down to earth and will drive stick, auto, big small or clean or shabby. She's the best/safest driver I know after my old man who doesnt seem to have had a single accident in 50 odd years (and drives professionally in his retirement for pocket money).

Just a heads up. Im not sure the BB will be around by then LOL!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously not very track oriented but the Magnus wheels look pretty good on a black 964, I like the GT3 buckets in there too.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?