Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014 | 06:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sorry gents. I suspect Ive been taking up some workshop resources last few weeks. I think between the two cars weve clocked 130 workshop hours now!

993 is finished just awaiting a good clean then in storage downstairs till I arrive.

GT3 has had 200 km test/run in kms completed by Dean this morning and ticked off with ECU dump to PAG. Next off to have geo then a proper cut and polish then into be wax/detailed and after downstairs awaiting for my arrival...

Hopefully Walt your car gets the attention it needs shortly and you'll be back on the road. Same with Ron....
Old 07-02-2014 | 06:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yay 1000!
Old 07-02-2014 | 06:39 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Not sure how my km you have done, but even though I'm at 166,000 km I seem to have more NVH than I expect and am getting Dean to check mounts while the drop links are replaced today. If I got silly offers for it I would put another $3,000 or so in to it and pin the pipes plus redo any mounts. The base mechanics are fine.
Contis would probably do it anyway by default, but at minimum you'd want to go with 997 mounts (similar price I think but better durability). Pricier and more track focussed semi-solid or solid mounts exist too but they wouldn't do much to help your NVH and the new owner may not be a track junkie anyway.
Old 07-02-2014 | 08:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Yay 1000!
Thread started 8 years ago. Two years ago it was on page 49, so 14,265 odd posts since then. The girls will have a long wait until the Porsche dribble dries up.

Highlights for me is RSG, with Playday, NITT and SITT. 'Black Beauty' epitomizes where we have got to - 13 people chuck $200 into buying a piece of a car. No dramas.

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014 | 08:12 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Followed up again recently and they said they'd be onto it soon. I was hoping to have it out for the Gymkhana but it was queued behind Ron's which was waiting on some parts or something
I had a good chat to the guys whilst looking over Ron's engine post pinning. Looked good. Was surprised to hear that they've not had to do this to many NZ based vehicles. Apparently it is very common in the warmer US states, although could be exaggerated by the fact their would be a larger pool of cars and more on the track.

Originally Posted by Macca
GT3 has had 200 km test/run in kms completed by Dean this morning and ticked off with ECU dump to PAG.
If it needs any more I'm sure you can find a few volunteers on here.
Old 07-02-2014 | 09:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater

If it needs any more I'm sure you can find a few volunteers on here.
Thanks Jake. Paul already offered first thing this morning to put it in the weekend gymkhana!

GT3 is currently with Peter for Geo. Looks like everyone is getting a drive of it apart from me LOL!

Have to agree with John. RSG has been the highlight for me in the NZ Porsche scene in the last decade. Not sure why it took so long for like minded people to get together but now its happened couldnt imagine life without it! The Targa Tour has been another highlight and was introduced to this by Ron/Patsy whos "Sunday Runs" are also infamous and now a firm fixture and a staple event each time I return to NZ. The Waipu Cafe run has started to become a bit of a fixture too and had a bit of fun driving those roads last 12 months. All an all it would seem we have found a great bunch of like minded folk who love to get out there and drive their cars. As John would say....Go Cars not Show Cars!
Old 07-02-2014 | 09:55 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Amen!
Old 07-02-2014 | 10:38 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Me too. I've been a Porsche lover in a fanatical sense since I was 10. Took me another 29 years to own one and I have to say that is was a lifetime highlight driving it back from Welly on April 1 2007. Macca was the voice of reason at that time after recently meeting him and I came to enjoy his opinion of all 993's that came up during the time I was looking. There were enough of them around then for sale compared to now. The value / unusability / untouchability got to me and I sold it three years later. My next one was a third the price but I enjoyed it more, because I could play with it and race it and as well as that, I hooked up with this gentleman racers group. No excuses now to ever be without a P car on the go in some form. Just need more early hot rods in the gruppe....

Not mine by the way, but near enough
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2014 | 01:14 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxem
Not mine by the way, but near enough
what a lovely car
Old 07-03-2014 | 02:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Contis would probably do it anyway by default, but at minimum you'd want to go with 997 mounts (similar price I think but better durability). Pricier and more track focussed semi-solid or solid mounts exist too but they wouldn't do much to help your NVH and the new owner may not be a track junkie anyway.
Contis couldn't find anything wrong with the mounts, although Izzy said he's never replaced the engine mounts on a 996TT so not sure if mine are on the way out or not. Something for another day. Drop links all replaced. Pro bono fitting from CCS.

Also picked up whatever sill parts CCS had. The 964 turbo has different mounting clips to the 964. Still short of 3 clips to mount my sharks fins. The last three clips need to come from Australia.

Any 964 owners out there - I have spare 964 clips and brand new shark fin rubber strips for both sides
Old 07-03-2014 | 04:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Good luck to the Enduro boys in Taupo this weekend. I think Chris M is joining you. Bring back the wins.

Meanwhile, Paul and I will go to the Gymkhana. Maybe the 964 will finally prevail over the 993?

Last but not least, Dave, Doug and I will shakedown Black Beauty at Playday. Much as we'd like to take more co-owners on the day, it's marginal to have people make a 2 hour return drive for 15 minutes on the track. I will take my AIM so we get our first leaderboard data. Only 10 more drivers to get out there after this!
Old 07-03-2014 | 06:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Good luck to the Enduro boys in Taupo this weekend. I think Chris M is joining you. Bring back the wins.

Meanwhile, Paul and I will go to the Gymkhana. Maybe the 964 will finally prevail over the 993?

Last but not least, Dave, Doug and I will shakedown Black Beauty at Playday. Much as we'd like to take more co-owners on the day, it's marginal to have people make a 2 hour return drive for 15 minutes on the track. I will take my AIM so we get our first leaderboard data. Only 10 more drivers to get out there after this!

We want some proper lap times - not 964 driver times
Old 07-03-2014 | 06:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
We want some proper lap times - not 964 driver times
Fitted the 'new to you' wheels yet?
Old 07-03-2014 | 07:12 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread started 8 years ago. Two years ago it was on page 49, so 14,265 odd posts since then. The girls will have a long wait until the Porsche dribble dries up.

Highlights for me is RSG, with Playday, NITT and SITT. 'Black Beauty' epitomizes where we have got to - 13 people chuck $200 into buying a piece of a car. No dramas.
+1 mate.

Couldn't have summed it up better. Living the dream John. Every single day!
Old 07-03-2014 | 07:27 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxem
The value / unusability / untouchability got to me and I sold it three years later.
Dave, do you think there's a danger of this happening with your current build as well? It's going to be far too nice to put on the track!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?