Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Heres a bit of light relief from all this car talk.

Im active on a few boards as you probably all well know. this is a cross post form another board this morning.

CAlexio. Thanks for asking. Its 1373 miles from my house to my toys (approx 2.40min flight time). Yes we in a very volcanic active region here more so even than SF!

It is hard being away form the toys. here is a small promotional video talen a few weeks ago in Vanuatu (a friend of mine stars in it and was part of making it happen).

When you see my island you realise why it is no place for a Porsche, especially a 993 track car or a GT3! I get back to drive 3 times a year and when I do I spend most of my time on the track or driving in targa or fast weekend drives. I clock up around 3-5000 miles a year in my cars and most of them exploiting the cars to their potential, so although its hard to be away it gives me something to look forward to and most of my KMs driving these machines are adrenaline filled. I kinda like it that way.

My good mate Mike is the beefy guy in the blue shirt. He's ex military and set the abseil into the "fiery abyss". Serge Brin (Google founder) was up there two weeks ago. He had his boat parked outside an wonderful island (Kakula) I sold to some clients (now friends). I was supposed to go up there with them but couldnt get flight clearance in the R66 due to visibility. Will get up there to the "lava lake" one day soon I hope....

For a great video try this (sorry its in Korean but watch it till the end its quite spectacular and you can see why we spend life "on the edge" LOL!)...

Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
I believe this is a DC4 (hence the chassis code). DC2s are Vtec powered models. But yes it is a GSI, B18b engine which is 1.8. EBC do a discounted rate for 2k Cup competitors so if you say you are thinking about entering the car you should get it. Assuming that's on the horizon as a possibility then that is fairly legit.

I would be down for this but I am in the same boat as Macca really in that I am soon to be heading off overseas for a while and wouldn't get a chance to drive until next year so not sure if it would still be around! Also I think there are enough people already in for this so it's not like you need more people. Hoping to see if running around sometime though, do you guys go to Uncles Club too?
Thanks for that,
I rolled up to EBC with a cheapie set that the PO left with us and they matched up Ok. The rears are unsure but we will see. It's in the workshop tomorrow for the change over.
They gave me the 2k discount.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Heres a bit of light relief from all this car talk. Im active on a few boards as you probably all well know. this is a cross post form another board this morning. CAlexio. Thanks for asking. Its 1373 miles from my house to my toys (approx 2.40min flight time). Yes we in a very volcanic active region here more so even than SF! It is hard being away form the toys. here is a small promotional video talen a few weeks ago in Vanuatu (a friend of mine stars in it and was part of making it happen). When you see my island you realise why it is no place for a Porsche, especially a 993 track car or a GT3! I get back to drive 3 times a year and when I do I spend most of my time on the track or driving in targa or fast weekend drives. I clock up around 3-5000 miles a year in my cars and most of them exploiting the cars to their potential, so although its hard to be away it gives me something to look forward to and most of my KMs driving these machines are adrenaline filled. I kinda like it that way. My good mate Mike is the beefy guy in the blue shirt. He's ex military and set the abseil into the "fiery abyss". Serge Brin (Google founder) was up there two weeks ago. He had his boat parked outside an wonderful island (Kakula) I sold to some clients (now friends). I was supposed to go up there with them but couldnt get flight clearance in the R66 due to visibility. Will get up there to the "lava lake" one day soon I hope.... For a great video try this (sorry its in Korean but watch it till the end its quite spectacular and you can see why we spend life "on the edge" LOL!)... Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaAq2zEBD-4
I recognised a lot of that. Which volcano has the lava lake?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Great video Macca. Unsure if I'm inspired to go out and buy an LG phone, but has reminded me that a volcano mission is on my bucket list.

Since we're on page 993:
Name:  993TurboS1.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  993TurboS2.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  98.1 KB
Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I recognised a lot of that. Which volcano has the lava lake?
Marum Volcano, Ambrym
Old 06-30-2014, 04:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Thanks for that, I rolled up to EBC with a cheapie set that the PO left with us and they matched up Ok. The rears are unsure but we will see. It's in the workshop tomorrow for the change over. They gave me the 2k discount.
Good one Dave. Black Beauty gets a real treat there, but you were absolutely right to give us the best pads. Safety first.

http://www.ebcbrakes.co.nz/ProductOv...8/Default.aspx

Costs to date plus the disc skimming etc will leave us some money in the pot but not a huge amount.

As long as the Honda reliability is there we should be able to give everyone their money's worth without another contribution.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Marum Volcano, Ambrym
We went to Mt Yasur in 1994, a month or so after the Japanese girl died when hit by lava. Incredible to get so close to a volcano and bloody scary. This looks like another level.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Can say there much on teh 993 front gets me stirred these days more than the factory gozilla hot rod 993 GT2. Must be one of the best looking cars of all time. I passed one in in speed yellow in 2002 in HK (4000km on it comfort spec). Big mistake!
Attached Images            
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
We went to Mt Yasur in 1994, a month or so after the Japanese girl died when hit by lava. Incredible to get so close to a volcano and bloody scary. This looks like another level.
Japanese tourists seem to die frequently at Yasur. Im sure some died the year we were there too!

Trust me John. This is a whole nother level. Its only just come on the map. Takes a day of hiking to get there if flying conditions arent good (frequent). Geoff Mackley the famous NZ adventure guy put it on the map a few years back and teh footage made it around teh world. He delivered a volconologist right to the edge. heres a few pictures and NO these arent doctored...
Attached Images   
Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

993 RS - Comfort Spec. Best looking 911 made IMHO...........
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2014, 05:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well after the weekend with the car Dean has signed her off with more than a clean bill of health. Its always good to get some feedback after big spends like this. Dean has historically been free of opinion on modifications to my car but after this round of work he really started to notice a difference with her handling, maybe he was being kind to me before I write out the big cheque, but he's a pretty good judge of the car having been driving it since development began and those that know him know he doesn't spout superlatives freely.

On the Hankooks he was very suprised. He was very cautious as it was wet when he took teh car and didnt believe me when I told him how good they are but hes now a convert!

Good news is the Kuel evaporator does its job very well indeed. Its probably the coldest 993 in the country now!

Heres a few snippets from our emails today...looks like Im going to need to learn how to drive her all over again....

"Can report no problems with the 993, drove like a dream! Couldnt get the 285 Hankook rear tyres to rub the guards, didnt really speed only about 120kph so may want to do some high speed runs over bumpy roads when you get here. There is a hard dip as you come into Riverhead, GTI normally gets a good bounce in and out of it but the 993 no probs at all"

"I tell you all that time and effort dismantling the shifter mechanism in the gearbox was worth it, it is really noticeably stiffer across the gate into reverse now, drove the same part of Riverhead/Coatesville Highway as I did previous and changed down to second in the corner and no sign of it sliding across to jam in that reverse gate"

"Gave the brakes a few hard stops down the off ramps of the motorway, definitely getting better and better. Diff is definitely working better than before, I think I mentioned to you that when I originally picked up the car from the lock up I tried to spark up the tyres cold in 1st gear to check the diff operation and found it just ok, did spin the wheels but car kept straight, wasnt confident the diff operation was working as it should. Now if you carry out the same operation in 1st gear the car will flick sideways as both wheels are driving together, I really think you are going to see a noticeable difference on the track. "

"I reckon it is going to be awesome! With so many mods she will be a new car to drive. It turns in great on the road, I can only imagine it will work perfectly on the track. You definitely have something to look forward to.lots of fun"

Here's a list of the last four years work for anyone interested....
Attached Images      
Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Good news Macca. Next mod is
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ That's the dream house John. I just cant get the wife to agree to it!

Unfortunately the mod budget has come to an end. There will be no more mods over the next few years as we become Vagabonds. The big push this time was to replace all drive train components, transmission/LSD, brakes and do a big service on the engine to make sure she is running strong and reliable till 2017. Annually in 2015+2016 = 4-6 track days, a NI Targa and some Rons Sunday runs.

The last significant round of mods I see for the car go something like the pictures below. Ive been doing much research on the engine options as a few on here know, talking to the engine builder and we are identifying the ideal spec for this and should have something on paper by early 2015.

I would like to improve the gearbox oil cooling on the track to improve synchro and gear longevity (its a fairly cheap upgrade) and also I will invest in an axillary oil cooler for the engine investment I will later make. Ill revert back to the C2 bumper an cut slots aka RUF BTR2 for getting air flow through the cooler like in the 997 onward GT3s. Ill probably get onto these well before the engine. The parts for both mods are no expensive - around $3000 USD all up including hoses and couplings shipping and GST. The labour is expensive as it will include some custom fabrication and a NACA duct installation under the car to feed the gearbox cooler matrix.

If you look at the wrecked RUF BTR below you can see where they installed it and its what I will be doing....

It takes me a few years of research before I move forward on the larger technical projects and I usually seek alot of external expert advice before I order the parts and put together the worksheets for Deans boys!
Attached Images       
Old 06-30-2014, 06:54 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

John, that photo is pure gold. Just scared my g/f with it.

Macca, when I picked my car up last week I heard two people (think one of them was customer) mention that yours was their favourite 911 of all those they've had through CCS. Is a stunning car for sure, made more so by the fact that it's driven like it was meant to be. Don't ever sell it!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi jacking the 993 page back to where it all started.
Progress; paint soon.
Interior firming up. Made the change to German square weave carpet.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?