Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche 957 (Turbo version)
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
The easy spot with that shape Integra (DC2) is that most in the price range are the low spec 1600 motor (like that one). You want the 1800 and then you'll need engine pics to be sure it's the B18c. To be honest a good Vtec Integra of the DC2 shape is worth more than 2k so to find one it usually has to have some issues. Buying one with a dead clutch say for $2k and then fixing it is ok by the rules.

That Levin is the older shape AE101 which are a good model for the 1600 class, their engines are just on the power limit, however that specific one is a GTZ so supercharged and therefore not eligible.

I may be able to source a B18c Integra that raced a couple of time in the series so I can ask around. I think the plan first would be to pick the model everyone wants then find the right car. To me the decision is as follows:

Do you want to win?
Yes?
2L class?
B18c Integra or 20 Valve Levin

Yes but 1600 class:
Da6 b16a Integra or 16 valve Levin

I don't have to win, I want something fun:
RWD = BMW 320i, either E30 or E36 but E36 is easier to find and source parts or MX5 with cage
MR = MR2
FWD = Something French like a 306 GTI
My two (rareish) picks for the 2K cup would be a 306 GTI/S16 6 speed. I think they around around 170BHP? You can often find a doggy one for 2K. The other car is a Opel Vectra (A) 2000 16V, these cars have the C20XE engine that Cosworth developed the head. They are rated at 150BHP but its the strongest 150BHP Ive ever felt.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dave,

^^^^^^^^^For what my 10c is worth, I like the bronze combo, but not fussed on the carpet colour as I think it's too light, maybe you look at bronze (or darker brown carpet?)

Cheers
PM
Something like this
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Or;
Might have to defer to a Female's opinion. I'm no style master.
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The best bit about this obsession - multiple Christmases and you get the present you actually want. Ordered from Design 911 at 8pm Tuesday and delivered Friday.

If the hyperbole on the box is half true this is going to be great addition to Herman's track kit and a very reasonable price. Thanks for the recommendation Matt x2

I'll fit them this morning before I go to the weigh station.
Purdy box John....
Old 06-20-2014, 06:22 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
If you are buying a typical suburban house on an averaged sized section (i.e. 200m2 house on 600m2) this is my view:

Under $$700K coolish - not climbing
$700K - $1.5M - still very hot and getting top dollar for good property (but not climbing)
Over $1.5M, and especially over $2M, prices have come back about 10% and buyers are very choosy..........

The general theme is people are prepared to wait for the next one if it doesn't quite tick all the boxes.

But PM me if you want.

Cheers
PM
You gotta run fast to keep on topic on this thread! The above hasn't been my experience at all. Have just bought in Devonport and prices have continued to climb stupidly (that's maybe why I haven't kept up with the Pcar arms race). Maybe Devonport is different to the AKL market but can't see it.
Good analysis here
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/housing...ll-us-dc-15661
It will adjust but with construction required in CHCH and the trickle on costs to AKL and demand on tradesmen, the economic confidence in NZ (anyone disagree?), net immigration means we are short of supply. Rising mortgages at the rates to date don't matter in the high income bracket because people have plenty of $.
Could be wrong but when it does adjust, it won't take long to recover. Could be worth waiting but you might be waiting a while.
My amateur 10c (really a thinly veiled attempt to justify to myself why I just spent a fortune on a home with no garage).
Old 06-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Im liking the carpet and leather but I need to see the anodised alloy in natural light to decide if I like any of them. I think a darker shade is needed - something in between the lightest and darkest you have now.

I dont really understand the embossing you are doing. My only fear would be that it looks like a saddle bag when you have finished. Embossing reminds me of growing up in Titsville in the 70s. Mu mum was made on three things over the course of my impressionable years.

1). Pottery. Clay is cool to throw at your mates in ***** I found out but otherwise spinning a wheel is a messy business and making anything look round is a skill.

2). Macramé. Jesus wept - what were they thinking. Wooden beads and Macrame and the place littered with hanging baskets 20 feet long for those pots you just made on your wheel and fired in the kiln. Cant water the plants or the macramé rots ha ha! Macrame is like big doilies for your house I reckon.

3). Leather-work. Jesus wept endlessly! Especially when he saw the sandles my mum made him. Embossing? Oh yeah! Hole punches, embossed edges, leather dye. We all were made to wear the leather belts. The best part about leather was the smell. And you could chew on it for hours for sustenance (we were a poor family!). Worse thing was....the sandles. But seriously that door John posted looks cool but there is something wrong with it. Its looks like the messenger bag my mum made...

I need to see the embossing. I dont think Ill like it. Why dont you send a hide to Australia to be perffed. Im sure thats what I did with mine. Imported the hide and then it was sent to Australia where some guy does the perfect "porsche spec" perf. Came out really good too. Looked right. I didnt organise it but was 100% it was just sent to Australia...just a thought. These are the small details that matter alot. As I have said before the interior to me is the hardest but most satisfying aesthetic of the car...
Old 06-20-2014, 06:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Purdy box John....
An even better sight.

Old pads crumbling on the leading edge but not bad for 6 track days and 6,000km but the PFC are even cheaper.
Attached Images    
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
You gotta run fast to keep on topic on this thread! The above hasn't been my experience at all. Have just bought in Devonport and prices have continued to climb stupidly (that's maybe why I haven't kept up with the Pcar arms race). Maybe Devonport is different to the AKL market but can't see it.
Good analysis here
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/housing...ll-us-dc-15661
It will adjust but with construction required in CHCH and the trickle on costs to AKL and demand on tradesmen, the economic confidence in NZ (anyone disagree?), net immigration means we are short of supply. Rising mortgages at the rates to date don't matter in the high income bracket because people have plenty of $.
Could be wrong but when it does adjust, it won't take long to recover. Could be worth waiting but you might be waiting a while.
My amateur 10c (really a thinly veiled attempt to justify to myself why I just spent a fortune on a home with no garage).
If we could predict the future - we would all be playing with 991 GT3's

The auction results are always a good indicator of the market - If you take the latest results from Wednesday (I won't post as it will take a page of the thread), approx 40% passed in or got no bids, the other 60% sold.

The 'Miller Meter' on the property market is:

1) If large chunks of property are selling with pre-auction offers, the market is HOT and it's a sellers market with prices probably actively climbing at $20-$50K a month

2) If most/all houses are selling at auction or just after auction (with few pre-auction offers) - the market is in equilibrium

3) If a large chunk of houses are not selling at auction, then vendors want too much or buyers can't be arsed paying more.

Based on the auction results for the last 3-4 months, I think we are at number 3, especially for $1.5M plus houses, and number 2 for $700K-1.5M houses.

I can't speak for pockets of Devonport, but then I think Devonport is undervalued, you can buy a nice house for $1.5M, about the same as what it costs you to live in Sandringham or Ellerslie, but IMHO Devonport is a FAR superior neighborhood - it's just the one way road and traffic that hold it back and why neighboring Takapuna is about 30% more for the same house.

Christchurch will NOT drive trades people costs up in ALK (by much if anything). Subbies don't magically earn more (i.e a builder is not earning $75/h in ChCh instead of $50/h in Alk), so why would you go down?? The cost of accommodation is crazy in Chch, so you would be going backwards if you moved down. Chch is being built by imports from Asia and Ireland, and they will go home when the work runs out...........
Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sean. Heres a contrarian view. Granted I think the Auckland price market is one of the most over valued Ive seen in many years of travelling and being in the "property game".

In late 2005 a mate called me from London, in the UK. We went over there in 1994 for our OE. He stayed on, married a big bosomed British lass who didnt have the "Kiwi Princess Syndrome" all us blokes were relieved to escape. Id never been repeatedly hit on by girls till I got to the UK. It was heaven. I digress....

Anyway my mate stayed on. Bought a crappy duplex in Islington (the market in London hit the skids mid 1990s) had a family, did the apartment up etc. Decides after 10 years time to move the family back to NZ. Clean air etc.

Calls me from a business trip in Sydney (didnt even know he was in Sydney) has 48 hours wants to fly to NZ check out some houses to buy and then fly back to UK.

I pick him up at the airport 7am on a Sat - he has 8 places he wants to see that day. We scurry around and see 5 of them. Turns out that crap box in Islington he bought for 170K GBP he sold in 2005 (height of the market till recently) for 775K GBP. Hes spent a number of years and a fair but of money renovating it - nut essentially he was debt free on it and had $2 mill NZD budget to spend on a family home in leafy suburb of Auckland....

We did some Kms taht day running around open homes. He couldn't find anything that really appealed and was very disappointed at the prices being asked for very small lots and as he said (and I agree) very "flimsey" houses.

We had a few drinks that afternoon and I promised to pick him up next day. Got a text next morning saying not to bother picking him up he has some appointments with Quinnovic.

Sunday afternoon Im pick him up to take him to the airport. He show me a picture of his "new house". It on 1 acre off Remuera road has an under cover pool and a tennis court. Cap Value was 4.5 mill. Turns out hes decided the property market in NZ is way over priced so hes gone out looking at what he can rent - hes signed a 24 months executive lease on a 4.5 mill property for (back then) $1500 a week. The owners of the house have relocated for a CEO position in Singapore so just want a nice family to care for their home and enough money to cover the rates, gardener and pool guy, insurance etc all of which is included in the $1500 a week.

Long story short. My mate put his $2 mill in the bank and got 7% for it for a few years. He bought some equities and a few other paper investments and started a new business - by the time that lease came up two years later he had probably increased that capital by 25%. The market crashed in 2008 and by 2009 John had bought the neighbouring property for $2.8 (had a EQ value around 3.5 in 2005). He said by the time he paid for it he had turned his original 2005 money into almost the same. After two years in the new place he got the sh$ts with the cost of maintaining everything so once the kids were in the right school he bought something smaller down the road and just recently in 2013 sold the big house. Now he has $3 mill working for him in the markets is debt free, has a freehold 1.2 mill house which is adequate and doesn't need to work anymore.

Just another perspective. Lotta people round here have all their $$$ tied up in property. I have less tahn 1/3 of mine in property now so thought another perspective should be given.

If in doubt rent a nice pad, put your money to work for a few years and watch the market. One this is for sure it will be up and it will be down...timing is key for big entry. Money is dead for years if you time it wrong. Debt is a noose on a non income earning asset. etc etc etc
Old 06-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

An even better sight.

Old pads crumbling on the leading edge but not bad for 6 track days and 6,000km but the PFC are even cheaper.
John. Heat is the issue here. Vent them and be done with it :-)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

RSG 2k cup beater list so far.

Macca
John
I said I was in when John first mooted this about a gazillion pages ago!! Bugger maybe I'll just have to make sure you all get to the start line.... (and that your water pumps are, ahem, good????)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

An even better sight.

John - supposedly they don't need breaking in but I would take them out on the road first and get them (very) hot, then a long cool down cycle with total cold before next use. At least you won't get any surprises driving to the NITT. What were your old pads?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:33 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

Just another perspective. Lotta people round here have all their $$$ tied up in property. I have less tahn 1/3 of mine in property now so thought another perspective should be given.
I think most kiwi's are into property coz it's easier to leverage.

Try buying $2M in shares with no money down, or only 10% deposit? (seriously if you know how, PM me.......)

Yet - any and all can do this with property (20% deposits are now being relaxed).

Try influencing the value of a company you don't have a major share holding in and are not on the board of, yet anyone can improve the value of a property.......

You need to teach us how you do it Macca.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 06-20-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Weigh done
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?