Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Blipshift for ?
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
With the arms race no doubt building speed in the future may need that extra 100 bhp sooner than later lol! Must buy lotto ticket!
I would have thought a 991 GT3 would keep you out the front for a while Macca??

It's the rest of us who need to buy lotto tickets.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Mate best thing for learning racecraft - close racing, learn set up, wet and dry, relatively cheap is go buy a Kart and do club days every month for 2 years. It is unbelievably good experience. Very physical too, not like a big track in a car. You can pull 3G lateral force in a Kart and until race fit after a few laps you can't hold your head up and have to slow down! I raced Karts for 5 years, long time ago now but very good learning experience. Go do it you will never regret it.
Graeme. I've never really thought about carts. I will look into that. Not sure it would work with my current lifestyle but if I were to be back more often it could work. I like the race craft angle a lot....
Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave may be a designated driver as well. I just listened to the interior build thoughts to date , it will be epic but unlikely to be ready by September. Now about this spousal spending. Just like your 991 situation we need solidarity on the amount of compensation. One look at that menu board in the Spa, and someone's bound to break out if not reigned in.
David. I'm sure we could work something out with transport. Gotta have you along keep in shape for when yours is ready and keep us all on our toes with the camp cap....
Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Mmm, local kart track is 4.3km away and membership and yearly private practice track hire totals $280 per year. Do they make karts big enough for 6'4" 100 kg lumps?
John I doubt it. They barely make 911s large enough!

Yes we can try to keep the girls spending in check but it will backfire - from my experience we are best saying nothing had hoping common sense prevails. Honestly how much damage could they do in half a day? $300
? If it's a one off I don't see any harm in it.

I have an almost ZERO budget for cars and car stuff in 2015! Be the first time in years. I have to make sure this year both are bullet proof and that I have everything I need for a while before the window shuts. I've budgeted for SITT and a few HD days next year but bugger all else. Would like to do a May Targa Tour next year. We will be travelling half of 2015 and 2016 so budget and time becomes very thin for me as I've had to make some strong promises all this car spending will stop!!
Last big parcel for a while was sent from FD yesterday. 993 goes into shop next week and will be there 6 weeks. At the end of this there will be little left to do on that car for a while...
Old 05-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I would have thought a 991 GT3 would keep you out the front for a while Macca?? It's the rest of us who need to buy lotto tickets. .
Paul. You would bloody well hope so eh!
Fact is I wasn't intending to use the 991 extensively at the track until I had far more track time. I initially thought once I had a few more days at HD under my belt along with another couple of days at manfield and Taupo that I should have the skills enough to handle the speed. Taking it on the SITT would have accelerated this. I think given the circumstances I will focus on the 993 as my track car this year and use the GT3 next year more when I do get the chance.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul. You would bloody well hope so eh! Fact is I wasn't intending to use the 991 extensively at the track until I had far more track time. I initially thought once I had a few more days at HD under my belt along with another couple of days at manfield and Taupo that I should have the skills enough to handle the speed. Taking it on the SITT would have accelerated this. I think given the circumstances I will focus on the 993 as my track car this year and use the GT3 next year more when I do get the chance.
Happy to give the GT3 a little exercise every now and the Macca so she doesn't ceise up. I could keep the spiders out of it. Would even pay for gas and give it a clean afterwards. :-P
Old 05-09-2014, 07:33 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graeme. I've never really thought about carts. I will look into that. Not sure it would work with my current lifestyle but if I were to be back more often it could work. I like the race craft angle a lot....
I carted in Ch Ch many years ago, Maccas and K88s etc. Awesome fun..John, even the longer frames fit.. An expensive season is about a set of tyres for us now....
Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
I carted in Ch Ch many years ago, Maccas and K88s etc. Awesome fun..John, even the longer frames fit.. An expensive season is about a set of tyres for us now....
Looks like this class would still see me competitive. What interests me is the practice track time for peanut cost. The track is very close and a kart is easy to store and transport.

125cc Rotax Max Heavy

Drivers aged 15 years and over
Chassis to KartSport New Zealand specs
Bombardier Rotax FR125 MAX engine to KartSport New Zealand specs
Minimum weight of kart and driver 185kg
Front wheel brakes not permitted
Nose cones and side pods compulsory
Pump petrol only
KartSport New Zealand contracted tyres only
This is a 125cc non gearbox 'keystart' class for heavier competitors racing in NZ.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ John. Im interested in learning about this. Send me any useful links you finds
Old 05-09-2014, 08:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

^^^^ John. Im interested in learning about this. Send me any useful links you finds
Will do. Entry cost seems reasonable http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-722395988.htm

I'm sure the bleeding edge is expensive, but I wouldn't do this for anything but practice.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

David. I'm sure we could work something out with transport. Gotta have you along keep in shape for when yours is ready and keep us all on our toes with the camp cap....
I will definitely be coming one way or another. That presidential suite at the Hilton is calling. Next time we will have to make the most of it, like throw a big room party with our groupies.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed. The apartment was so good only the track could get me out of bed.

iphone induced typo. You cap isnt "camp" mate is "camo" LOL!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed. The apartment was so good only the track could get me out of bed.

iphone induced typo. You cap isnt "camp" mate is "camo" LOL!
Yes I saw that. Red blooded blokes drive long hoods.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

John I doubt it. They barely make 911s large enough!

Yes we can try to keep the girls spending in check but it will backfire - from my experience we are best saying nothing had hoping common sense prevails. Honestly how much damage could they do in half a day? $300
? If it's a one off I don't see any harm in it.

I have an almost ZERO budget for cars and car stuff in 2015! Be the first time in years. I have to make sure this year both are bullet proof and that I have everything I need for a while before the window shuts. I've budgeted for SITT and a few HD days next year but bugger all else. Would like to do a May Targa Tour next year. We will be travelling half of 2015 and 2016 so budget and time becomes very thin for me as I've had to make some strong promises all this car spending will stop!!
Last big parcel for a while was sent from FD yesterday. 993 goes into shop next week and will be there 6 weeks. At the end of this there will be little left to do on that car for a while...
Yeah - whatever - just make some more $$. If you only travel for 5 months instead of six, this should give you another $50K for the car budget??

What are you getting done to the car now??

FD are in the process of getting me an RS bump steer kit.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?